Re: C/2006P1 visual obs. 1/2

  • cnj999
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      I was able to locate Comet McNaught this morning (Jan. 3.49UT) in very
      bright twilight using 15x80B. With the Sun only 7.3 degrees below the
      horizon (comet 3.6 degrees up), my own description pretty much matches
      Bob King's: a relatively easy, very small, dense, almost planet-like
      body 8 with soft edges and of DC 8. It reminded me very much of my
      final pre-T view of Comet Ikeya-Seki 1965f at dawn just week before it
      rounded the Sun. In both situations, due to the very advanced state of
      twilight, only the center-most region of the comets must have been
      visible to me.

      No comparison stars were available (my eastern view was largely
      obstructed by trees and even the comet was seen among tree branches!)
      but from experience in making similar observations, I'd judge the comet
      as not fainter than 2nd magnitude.

      JBortle
    • schmidtcamera2500
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        hello john

        i could confirm your 2 mag estimate. i saw P1 (jan 3, UT 16.10) easy
        through a 8x50 seeker one hour after sunset, when the comet was 2-3°
        above horizon. it was a small yellow nebulae DC 8
        i will post a image later this night.

        michael

        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "cnj999" <jbortle@...> wrote:

        > I was able to locate Comet McNaught this morning (Jan. 3.49UT) in
        very
        > bright twilight using 15x80B. With the Sun only 7.3 degrees below
        the
        > horizon (comet 3.6 degrees up), my own description pretty much
        matches
        > Bob King's: a relatively easy, very small, dense, almost planet-
        like
        > body 8 with soft edges and of DC 8. It reminded me very much of my
        > final pre-T view of Comet Ikeya-Seki 1965f at dawn just week
        before it
        > rounded the Sun. In both situations, due to the very advanced
        state of
        > twilight, only the center-most region of the comets must have been
        > visible to me.
        >
        > No comparison stars were available (my eastern view was largely
        > obstructed by trees and even the comet was seen among tree
        branches!)
        > but from experience in making similar observations, I'd judge the
        comet
        > as not fainter than 2nd magnitude.
        >
        > JBortle

      • Maciej Reszelski
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          >i could confirm your 2 mag estimate. i saw P1 (jan 3, UT 16.10) easy
          >through a 8x50 seeker one hour after sunset, when the comet was 2-3°
          >above horizon. it was a small yellow nebulae DC 8

          Just semi-personal question,

          What is the best filter for such extreme CCD images? I found only Orange
          and YV in my filters...

          Best wishes,
          Maciej