Visual observation of C/2006 P1 (McNaught)

  • Piotr Guzik
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2006
      Hi All,

      I caught this comet visually on Dec 26.65, unfortunately I found just
      at the edge of thin clouds ~3 deg above horizon. I saw it only for
      several seconds as small, condensed object, comparable to zeta Scuti:

      Dec. 26.65 UT: m1=4.5: Dia=30", DC=8...20cm L (38x)...Piotr Guzik
      (Krosno, Poland)

      Best Regards
      Piotr Guzik
    • Bjorn H. Granslo
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006
        I can confirm P. Guzik's report that this comet is visible
        visually. After several unsuccessful attempts I was able to
        see C/2006 P1 this morning. Formal observation was made at
        2006 Dec 29 06h45m UT. The comet appeared about as bright
        as the nearby star Alpha Sct (mag. Vt = 4.0) and clearly
        brighter than Zeta Sct. It showed a strongly condensed coma
        (DC 7-8) of about 1.5' and a bright and nearly stellar
        false nucleus. The observation was made at an altitude of
        3.5 deg. and with the Sun 10 deg. below the horizon. The
        comet remained visible until 07h15m UT. The instrument
        was a 10.0-cm f/6 refractor (25x) and the location was
        Fjellhamar, Norway, just east of Oslo.

        Kind regards,
        Bjorn H. Granslo
      • schmidtcamera2500
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
          Hello Bjorn

          Congratulation. Piotr and you are now on the best places for
          observering P1. I wish you clear skys.

          this morning i found the tail brighter than 3 days ago. take a look
          on the images list

          michael

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Bjorn H. Granslo" <bgranslo@...>
          wrote:

          > I can confirm P. Guzik's report that this comet is visible
          > visually. After several unsuccessful attempts I was able to
          > see C/2006 P1 this morning. Formal observation was made at
          > 2006 Dec 29 06h45m UT. The comet appeared about as bright
          > as the nearby star Alpha Sct (mag. Vt = 4.0) and clearly
          > brighter than Zeta Sct. It showed a strongly condensed coma
          > (DC 7-8) of about 1.5' and a bright and nearly stellar
          > false nucleus. The observation was made at an altitude of
          > 3.5 deg. and with the Sun 10 deg. below the horizon. The
          > comet remained visible until 07h15m UT. The instrument
          > was a 10.0-cm f/6 refractor (25x) and the location was
          > Fjellhamar, Norway, just east of Oslo.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          > Bjorn H. Granslo

        • Piotr Guzik
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
            Michael,

            >Piotr and you are now on the best places for observering P1.

            Actually my location is probably closer to yours than Bjorns (Lat.
            49.7N). I guess there is a lot of observers farther north than me ;)

            Best Regards
            Piotr Guzik
          • gvnn64@libero.it
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
              > this morning i found the tail brighter than 3 days ago. take a look
              > on the images list

              Hello Michael and all,
              thanks to your latest imgaes, I have updated the "25.000Km" R lightcurve of C/2006 P1:
              http://tinyurl.com/yaaho6

              It seems that during last week or so, C/2006 P1 has decreased a bit its furious brightening rate; data from this morning, indicates R= 4.0 (Diameter=0.4'); if this trend is manteined, the max magnitude will be nice, but not as spectacular as the H= 7.3 and n= 7.2 was initially suggesting.

              Afrho has now reached the huge amount of almost 130,000 cm.

              Cheers,
              Giovanni

              Passa a Infostrada. ADSL e Telefono senza limiti e senza canone Telecom
              http://click.libero.it/infostrada30dic06
            • Piotr Guzik
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                Hi All,

                The comet is brightening really quickly - I managed to see it this
                morning after following the only break in clouds for nearly an hour.

                C/2006 P1 (McNaught):
                2007 Jan. 5.24: m1=$1.0, Dia=2', DC=8, Tail=30' in PA 360
                deg...10x50B...Piotr Guzik (Krosno, Poland)[The comet was very bright
                and easily visible against bright sky. I could see it for fifteen
                minutes (5:35 - 5:50 UT), when it was situated between clouds on very
                transparent sky. It was planet-like object with broad, dust tail.
                First 10' of the tail were very bright. It was also faintly seen with
                naked eye. Comparison stars were alpha Aql (0.9 mag) and lambda Aql
                (3.4 mag).]

                Best Regards
                Piotr Guzik
              • P. Clay Sherrod
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Is your m1 measurement intended to be "-1" as in minus one?

                  Clay
                  -------------
                  Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
                  Arkansas Sky Observatories
                  Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
                  Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
                  Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
                  http://www.arksky.org/

                  > The comet is brightening really quickly - I managed to see it this
                  > morning after following the only break in clouds for nearly an hour.
                  >
                  > C/2006 P1 (McNaught):
                  > 2007 Jan. 5.24: m1=$1.0, Dia=2', DC=8, Tail=30' in PA 360
                  > deg...10x50B...Piotr Guzik (Krosno, Poland)[The comet was very bright
                  > and easily visible against bright sky. I could see it for fifteen
                  > minutes (5:35 - 5:50 UT), when it was situated between clouds on very
                  > transparent sky. It was planet-like object with broad, dust tail.
                  > First 10' of the tail were very bright. It was also faintly seen with
                  > naked eye. Comparison stars were alpha Aql (0.9 mag) and lambda Aql
                  > (3.4 mag).]
                  >
                  > Best Regards
                  > Piotr Guzik

                  > NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be indicated
                  > by:

                • RICHARD MILES
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Dear Piotr et al.,

                    I made a visual observation this evening which I have reported to the BAA
                    Comet Section (not having read your attached note beforehand). Using your
                    format:

                    C/2006P1 (McNaught)
                    2007 Jan. 5.72 m1=1.0, Dia=1.5', DC=7-8, Tail=15' in PA
                    035deg...11x80B...Richard Miles (Dorset, England)

                    Observer location: Lat.50.931N, 2.405W 80m
                    First seen (easily) at 1707UT when at an altitude of 4.3deg (Sun at -7.4deg)
                    Last seen at 1719UT when at an altitude of 2.5deg (Sun at -9.1deg) owing to
                    obscuration by cloud.
                    Magnitude is based on comparison with Venus (-3.9) and visibilty when behind
                    light cloud and is estimated to +/-0.5 mag.
                    At the time Venus was at an altitude 0.8 deg lower than that of the comet,
                    an empirical adjustment for differential extinction has been applied.

                    Conditions were affected by thin high cloud, which was continually varying.
                    Given a truly clear sky, it is estimated that the comet would be an easy
                    naked-eye object (Sun at -7 deg altitude) and its tail length would be
                    significantly longer than that reported here.
                    A fine sight in a pale blue sky with Venus as a companion some 20 degrees
                    distant.

                    Richard Miles
                    Golden Hill Observatory

                    > The comet is brightening really quickly - I managed to see it this
                    > morning after following the only break in clouds for nearly an hour.
                    >
                    > C/2006 P1 (McNaught):
                    > 2007 Jan. 5.24: m1=$1.0, Dia=2', DC=8, Tail=30' in PA 360
                    > deg...10x50B...Piotr Guzik (Krosno, Poland)[The comet was very bright
                    > and easily visible against bright sky. I could see it for fifteen
                    > minutes (5:35 - 5:50 UT), when it was situated between clouds on very
                    > transparent sky. It was planet-like object with broad, dust tail.
                    > First 10' of the tail were very bright. It was also faintly seen with
                    > naked eye. Comparison stars were alpha Aql (0.9 mag) and lambda Aql
                    > (3.4 mag).]
                    >
                    > Best Regards
                    > Piotr Guzik

                    > NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should
                    > be indicated by:

                  • Maciej Reszelski
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                      Clay,

                      Much likely Piotr add extinction note before his magnitude estamite....

                      Best wishes,
                      Maciej