Re: CL_Combat_Shutoffs

  • henning.forbech
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 27, 2007
      I have transferred some of the comment in the "Combat-Shut-Off" group
      to this group since my response to it is more a general comment than a
      technical issue.

      In a response to Göran Olson's comment on my shut-off project Bill Lee
      wrote:
      > "Third. What did he base his decision of failure on? His website
      > seems to document success. He developed a shutoff, it worked, he
      > flew competitions with it. And when he didn't he had two fly-aways.
      > Maybe I missed something, but in reading his website, I really saw
      > nothing that gave his reasons for the conclusion he made. That's
      > why I thought that perhaps he made the combat-l post in jest."
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CL_Combat_Shutoffs/message/61)

      Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough on my website so please let
      me try to explain the idea behind my shut-off project:

      First, I didn't give up on my mechanical shut-off because it didn't
      work. I shut it down because it could not be used as a general
      shut-off system in F2D-combat !

      I was (and still am) looking for a shut-off design that can generally
      be used in combat. Not just by me and other DIY nerds but a system
      that will suit all pilots. This ideal system should solve the fly-away
      problem with minor side effect on rest of the F2D combat as possible
      and it should be made available to all pilots.

      Any shut-off design will have an effect on the whole F2D combat buisness.
      A very expensive shut-off system would ground those pilots that can't
      affort them. Self-made shut-offs would ground those who can't produce
      their own system. Complicated systems will set pilots without a well
      trained pit crew out of the game. Etc.

      If the shut-off rules are introduced before we have a well designed,
      well tested, available ready-to-use systems and a set of consistent
      rules there is a high chance of a serious reduction in the combat
      activity in the next years. I have not yet seen any of these matters
      been fulfilled but more people are now starting to work with these
      problems. This is why I recommend that the shut-off rules are
      postponed for a year. More time is needed to develop the shut-offs and
      to get the rules ready for this new situation.
      I think it would be a big mistake to make the shut-off systems
      mandatory from 2009.

      Regards,
      Henning Forbech
    • jeffrey_a_rein
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 30, 2007
        --- In combat-l@yahoogroups.com, Tom Siegler <tmsiegler@...> wrote:

        I saw the photo of that failure. The spruce used in the cap seemed to
        be a bit substandard with only 6 lines of grain across the entire
        width of the cap, and it split. My planes have about 12-15. In any
        case there are 2 simple solutions. Last night I epoxied a 1 1/2" long
        piece of 1/16" plywood on top and redrilled the hole. I then used my
        pull test scale and test pulled it at 50 pounds, problem solved. The
        other way which my friend in San Diago is better. He installed the
        bellcrank 3/4" further forward. This way the bolt goes through 4
        times as much bass wood. Also it locates the bellcrank in a strait
        line with the leadouts for less friction. This can't be done with
        internal controls as it would interfere with the fuel cavity. Also he
        uses 1 hole in the leadout wire and runs both lines through them and
        hooks up directly to the bellcrank. Do you suppose there would be
        less drag if the lines are together and there are no big pieces of
        fuel tubing at the end of the leadouts to make the line connections?
        Hmmmmmmm.

        > Chris,
        > A friend tested one on a ukarine f2d plane. the center rib failed
        with a hard hand pull (jerk) in flight. the top rib cap let go. i'm
        concerned with an external control on an rtf plane made for an
        internal bellcrank as all the load is going in the top of the rib not
        half into both top and bottom as on an internal mount.