Project Management CoP

  • Fred Nickols
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2013
      I'm aware of several CoPs related to project management (e.g., AOL, ISPE, Yale and, of course, PMI). Does anyone know of any other CoPs focused on project management?

      Fred Nickols
    • Ari Davidow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2013
        >other CoPs for Project Management beyond PMI and others

        In our area, PMI is invaluable. The local chapter sponsors monthly meetings, etc., but more valuable are small "roundtables," usually early in the morning before work (7:30am-8:30am) where people present and network. There is one organizing for lunchtime, and a couple that meet evenings, as well. I've gotten great info, and really gotten to know a lot of local practitioners in ways that never happen at the larger meetings. They are also great places to talk about current issues. There are also online forums (primarily LinkedIn?) that are so-so. The local PMI chapters will also help you create study or discussion groups around specific topics. Locally, for instance, we have several certification study groups, but also groups devoted to PMOs, or HealthCare, or BioTech.

        If you do anything touching on Agile Software development, you might also look for local Agile CoPs. Here in the Boston area, there are two: Agile New England and Agile Boston.

        I have also taken to attending "LeanIT" meetings when I can--there is lots useful to learn about metrics and feedback that is very useful to management in general, and of course, project management in specific.

        Hope this helps,
        ari