Using CoPs to Leverage a Merger of Two Groups

  • Fred Nickols
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Let's say an organization has two divisions focused on two different industries. Each division has a similar structure: research, service delivery, client management, etc. A new CEO see benefit in merging the two divisions and also sees benefit in using CoPs to help integrate the similar groups in each division. Anyone ever seen that done before?

      Fred Nickols
    • Matt Moore
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
        Fred,

        How is it envisaged that the CoPs will be used? Are they seen as a kind of staging device? i.e. CoPs are set up prior to a full merger?

        Cheers,

        Matt

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2013
          Sorry to take so long in responding.

          The CoPs would be set up prior to the full merger. I think the reasoning is that once established in the separate divisions they might offer some leverage in merging the two divisions. My concern would be that there might be some competitiveness between the CoPs even though they ostensibly have a practice in common.