Glossary of Related Terms: The Community of Practice Glossary

  • leasellao
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2012
      Hi John and Fellow Community Managers,

      It's been awhile since my last post but I have been checking discussions as they are posted. Allow me to provide a short description about myself - I am employed at a not-for-proofit organization as a Virtual Community Administrator. My primary responsibilities translate to the Community Manager responsibilities. As the Knowledge Management and Technology SME for my department, oftentimes, I notice there is often a significant barrier to success trying to interpret the meanings of various words.

      It leads to countless hours of trying to interpret the meanings each other's meanings.

      For this reason, I wanted to ask this group if there is already an existing glossary or one that we can work on collaboratively to create terms and phrases and their corresponding definitions.

      I would volunteer my time to start a Glossary of Terms but I think this document will evolve and need to be updated to stay abreast of modifications and new developments. It is also important to understand that the structure of this artifact may change to meet the future evolution of CoPs.

      Does a glossary already exist? If not, is there interest in the community to start one? I will pony up and extend my services to start a wiki.

      Thank you, Lea
    • John David Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2012

        Hi Lea,

        The nearest thing I know of is a page that tries to get at some of the terminology from Digital Habitats: http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Translating_terms_from_Digital_Habitats

        To get at those terms in Spanish, there was a discussion on http://siwa-comunidad.ning.com/ that, as you suggest, took a while (maybe not countless hours), although it was worth it.

        What terms do you have in mind?

        I would build on an existing wiki rather than start a new one, don’t you think?  The CPsquare wiki exists for just this kind of purpose.

        John

        * John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

        * Join   our Ning Stackathon at http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Ning_Stackathon_project

        * "If what you are getting online is for free, you are not the customer,

        *   you are the product." -- Jonathan Zittrain