[cp] Software question: a directory with some collaboration

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010
      Hello all,

      (I just posted this over at emint, so that makes this a cross-posting... my excuses :-))

      here's a question for those of you with a more technological bent :-).

      I've been asked to build a "directory with collaboration possibilities" for a group of experts. The customer defines their idea as "a sort of LinkedIn", or in other words a profiles-centric networking tool with some collaboration (groups at least).

      While I could just go with f.i. BlueKiwi, I don't quite like the idea of proposing a service that is strictly SaaS: in a year and a day, they'd pull the plug and lose everything unless the customer ponies up for another year... and these days, in Spain, figuring on a further round of funding is not a good idea. So I'd rather leave something built that lasts them some years.

      Any ideas? Have you built something along those lines, or do you know any tools (either payware or open source) that seem to fit?

    • Dan Randow
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010
        Hi Miguel,

        > I've been asked to build a "directory with collaboration possibilities"
        > for a group of experts. The customer defines their idea as "a sort of
        > LinkedIn", or in other words a profiles-centric networking tool with
        > some collaboration (groups at least).
        >
        > While I could just go with f.i. BlueKiwi, I don't quite like the idea of
        > proposing a service that is strictly SaaS: in a year and a day, they'd
        > pull the plug and lose everything unless the customer ponies up for
        > another year... and these days, in Spain, figuring on a further round of
        > funding is not a good idea. So I'd rather leave something built that
        > lasts them some years.
        >
        > Any ideas? Have you built something along those lines, or do you know
        > any tools (either payware or open source) that seem to fit?

        You could consider our service <http://onlinegroups.net>. While not
        strictly profile-centric, it does provide comprehensive profiles. My
        profile, for example is visible to logged in members at
        <http://demosite.onlinegroups.net/p/danr> (to get a login you could join
        the demo group
        <http://demosite.onlinegroups.net/groups/demosite_public_discuss>).

        Our service does support groups of course -- web-based email groups, not
        unlike this one.

        One example of a community of practice site using our platform is
        <http://dataversity.org.nz>.

        Finally, the software -- GroupServer -- that powers the SaaS, is open
        source and available for free download at <http://groupserver.org>. We
        do this for the reason you mention: to give our customers more control
        over their implementation.

        with regards,

        Dan

        --

        Dan Randow
        Chief Wrangler
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010

          What about buddypress, Miguel?  http://buddypress.org

          Open source.  Wordpress engine underneath.  There’s a plugin that lets you have extensive profiles.  Groups are well supported.  Allows for friends & individual messaging.  There’s even a plug-in to import a Ning group!

          Big draw-back in the current version: search.  I’ve heard that “next release or soon after that” it will be improved.

          I’m using it for a project.  It goes WAY further than what I imagined was possible.  It is very powerful, and yet it’s not perfect by any means.  I’m happy to share the list of plugins that I’ve found work for my project if anybody is interested.

          John

          * John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

          * “Happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue.” Viktor Frankl

        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010
            If you're wary of saas but want something cheap then the obvious options are Drupal and Joomla
            http://drupalsn.com/learn-drupal/drupal-tutorials/essential-drupal-social-networking-modules
            http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/community-builder-extensions/community-builder-profiles/7775

            Wiki-wise, Foswiki is open source: http://foswiki.org/

            Otherwise Confluence and Socialtext offer affordable tools. I'd be very surprise if these have not been used to create directories somewhere...
            http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Searching+the+People+Directory
            http://www.socialtext.com/products/deployment_microbloggingappliance.php

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2011
              Related to Drupal, the Drupal Commons is a distribution specifically configured for building communities:

              http://acquia.com/products-services/drupal-commons

              --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

              > If you're wary of saas but want something cheap then the obvious options are
              > Drupal and Joomla
              > http://drupalsn.com/learn-drupal/drupal-tutorials/essential-drupal-social-networking-modules
              >
              > http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/community-builder-extensions/community-builder-profiles/7775
              >

              > Wiki-wise, Foswiki is open source: http://foswiki.org/
              >
              > Otherwise Confluence and Socialtext offer affordable tools. I'd be very surprise
              > if these have not been used to create directories somewhere...
              > http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Searching+the+People+Directory
              > http://www.socialtext.com/products/deployment_microbloggingappliance.php

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
                A recent client selected Jive software (jivesoftware.com) and has a successful client-hosted implementation going. Their standard model is hosted, but they will work with client-hosted.

                A strong runner-up was NewsGator. (newsgator.com). I am 90% sure client-hosted is standard for them.

                Both integrate with Sharepoint/MOSS, which was an important requirement for them. The initial Jive implementation was standalone, and the product works well w/o Sharepoint. I am not certain if/how Newsgator handles this.

                For both, the functionality was roughly equivalent. This space is moving very quickly, so we looked at viability of the companies and their ability to fund innovation and enhancements moreso than a strict requirement-by-requirement comparison.

                MOSS 2010, which was not available at the time we selected our CoP solution, is supposed to incorporate a lot of social features out-of-the box. I've not evaluated it, but Microsoft is definitely committed to catching up with others in this space and is a stronger content management solution