Looking for guidelines for moderators at cancer self care groups

  • Abelone
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2010
      Hi everybody

      I am looking for guidelines for moderators of communities for cancer patients or moderators of other groups of people struck by life threathening illnesses.

      I am helping an organisation to build guidelines for their moderators who all of them are cancer patients themselves.
      Some of the dilemmas are
      - how visible should the moderator be without dominating
      - good ideas to pull or push information ore other sort of inputs to enhance the conversation
      - how do you handle people who only want to tell about themselves all the time, not listening
      - how do you get activities into groups with patients with a very rare diagnosis (not enough critical mass to have good discussions)
      - Boundaries between talk an counselling - how to avoid being expert at the same time as patient your self
      - how do you build trust when you don't meet physically.

      I have looked in older postings, and found interesting things on trust building, but I still need some help on moderation self caring groups.

      best regards
      Abelone Glahn
      Denmark
    • Abelone Glahn
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
        I have now had the first session with moderators of cancer self care groups,
        and had through this network a very fine helping hand from Kaye Vivian, New
        York.
        She offered me guidelines for new and inexperienced moderators, guidelines I
        to some extent could use, rewriting for the specific group.

        I would like to add, that guidelines for people stuck by life threatening
        diseases should contain something about
        - Anonymity and the use of pseudonyms ( on one hand they would like to be
        identifiable, but on the other hand they would like to be anonymous)
        - the use of photos or other graphics to identify (same dilemma)
        - what to do when someone in the community leaves without explanation (
        someone might leave because he/she has been cured/survived, but when leaving
        without explanation the community might believe he or she died and get
        discouraged)
        - what to do when someone in the community dies ( what about relatives, who
        knows that a support group has been helpful but cannot access the community?
        What to do - or not do! - in memorizing a member. What is appropriate, and
        what is the most encouraging step to take - talking about survivors or
        talking about dead members?

        Interesting dilemmas with no easy answers.

        Best regards
        Abelone

        --
        Abelone Glahn
        mob: 2425 4852

[...]

        08:34:00
      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
          Abelone,

          I know that some of the participants of that list are working with online cancer-related communities.

          I also have an acquaintance at Cancer Council Australia who may have some thoughts on this. Happy to forward on your request if you like.

          Regards,

          Matt