Upcoming face-to-face events: Birmingham and Aalborg

  • John David Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2010

      There are two upcoming face-to-face meetings that involve CPsquare members and friends in one way or another. You are invited to join in! The first is an event about the barriers and enablers to communities of practice in higher education that takes place at Birmingham University (UK) on May 10th. See this leaflet. The cost of attending the event is minimal (£20). The announcement describe the conversation:

      Communities of practice are increasingly seen as effective ways for organisations to address the knowledge challenges they face. The focus of this day will be on how communities of practice can enable research collaboration and promote interdisciplinary work, can inform pedagogy and enhance the student learning experience and can facilitate the development of teaching networks in Higher Education.

      Speakers include Etienne Wenger, Karen Guldberg, Paul Edwards, Malcolm Ryan, Jenny Mackness, Tarsem Singh Cooner, Paul Lowe, and Helen Walmsley.

      The second is a one day informal conversation in Aalborg on May 2, immediately before the 7th International Conference on Networked Learning Conference on May 3 and 4, 2010. Our day together will be:

      • Mostly an informal, get-acquainted conversation: an extended round of introductions to find out what people are working on. I'm hoping that Barb McDonald, Beverly Trayner, Brenda Kaulback, Etienne Wenger, Floor Basten, Jeffrey Keefer, John David Smith, Joost Robben, Patricia Arnold, Susanne Nyrop, and Thomas Mathiasen will be there. You are invited to join us.
      • We are having discussions in our member's space to decide on a few topics for more extended conversation. (If you are a member of CPsquare you can just log-in to participate.)
      • Drop us a line using the CPsquare contact form (option #4) if you would like to participate and are not a member of CPsquare.
      • This kind of conversation beforehand can enrich the experience of the formal conference that follows although participation in our Sunday gathering is independent of the Networked Learning Conference.
      • We will pass the hat for snacks.

      John

      * John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

      * Foundations of CoPs starts 3/22: http://cpsquare.org/edu/foundations

      * “Mental health is dedication to reality at all costs.” - M Scott Peck