Fit between communities of practice and organizations

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2009
      Here's a nice talk by Clay Shirky about social software and organizations:

      http://gov2summit.blip.tv/file/2591940/

      Very relevant to the tension between "in-house communities" (e.g., captive,
      sponsored) and their organizations. In CPsquare we're starting a year-long
      study of organization in support of an emerging community (both the
      community and an organization to support it need to develop) in our "shadow
      the leader" series:

      http://cpsquare.org/2009/09/shadowing-josien-kapma/

      If anybody can track down the article that Shirky cites about "completing
      the contract" at a day care center, I'd love to know.

      John
      * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd
      * Our book: http://technologyforcommunities.com  Now!
      * Workshop: http://cpsquare.org/edu/foundations  Sept 21!
      * “With company we quicken the ascent.” Rumi
    • lkrisper
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
        Here is the article:
        http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/468061

        I love this notion of inclompete contract, of space for particiaption - if you try plan the surprise - you won´t get it, you will get destructional engergies...

        This gives me back up and confidence to stand up to organisational needs to define clear outcomes, project targets etc..

        Thanks John

        (my first post - I am thrilled)

        Lotte
      • lkrisper
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
          Dear John,

          thinking about it I find Clay Shirky´s story quite frightening. It is like: you got one chance, if you give the wrong message, you are out.

          This is what it basically comes down to when you start a sponsored CoP. At some point you contact the list of potential members (after having spoken to many of them, but still) by email and depending on what the people understand from this they will be turned on or turned off.

          Of course my fears have to do with the fact that I am currently working on such an email which we will send out next week or so to invite about 350 people to participate - participate in what?

          That´s exactly the point. If you "imagine" too well all the things that could happen and you describe too enthousiastically how the people could benefit - "the contract could be overcomplete". If you leave it open - it is unclear what this is all about.

          Do you have any good advice for me for this "first getting in touch", where there is still such a strong "we" and "you" divide?

          Lotte

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
            "Have a look at our content/guides/articles, ask any of your questions (about work, your practice, the company), see what other people in your field are saying".

            Could work :-). Indeed I hope so, I'm reccomending something similar, if slightly more complex (we're explaining the incentives plan, after the gushing enthusiasm part) for a pilot starting very soon.

            Please let us know how it goes so we can learn :-).

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
              Dear Miguel,

              only today (21.10) your answer popped into my e-mail account, dated 7.10. I thank you so much for replying. I am sorry for not coming back any sooner. And yes, I will let you know more about this initiative.

              In the last couple of weeks I have been washed away by the things that needed to be done/written.
              The inivitation letter has been sent, 70 people have already joined the NING community, tomorrow is a big event where all 220 participants will come together, and after this meeting we will have a community-core team-meeting, open to all who want to join, to decide on the next steps.

              This network meeting is hosted by our minister of education, and has been designed and will be chaired by Otto Scharmer. It will be something like a world café.

              Our community project is "hitch-hiking" on the back of this event and the network meeting has been "a good enough excuse" for starting a social community platform (in NING).

              Currently I see three big challenges:
              * It is not one CoP, it is a network of CoPs.
              * This initiative has sprung from a highly dedicated man in the ministery, from third level in the hierarchy. He would like to prove to the that communities will help to innovate / transform. It has not come from top level. But the core member people in the education sector want to see top level comittment before they commit to - yet another CoP (they are part of many CoPs and hopelessly overworked)
              * The domain: the way I see it, it would have a lot to do with the ministery itself. It would be: the ministery wants to open itself to the community out there and together they would learn how to be innovative. But how to formulate this? We are the .....innovation practitioners? Sounds awful..

              But there are assets as well:
              * The diversity of perspectives: there is no other way to get in touch with ALL stakeholdes (teachers, students, parents, admin, universities, unions...who are all highly committed to innovation) as easily as with the platform which we just created.
              * The event tomorrow will come up with results and a lot of energized people. If we manage to transfer part of this in the virtual space, it will give us a good kick off.
              * There are people who have reacted very positively.
              E.g. one lady, who saw in my profile that one topic of interest was CoP and CoT (Community of Teachers) asked me if I had a link, and I could pass on a link to an article, which I had just devoured, recommended by Patricia Arnold http://website.education.wisc.edu/kdsquire/tenure-files/42-cot.pdf, and she said: for her, that was already more value she could have expected from such a community platform ;-).

              I got carried away with details,
              I will keep you posted

              Lotte