Management of CoPs

  • Roy Greenhalgh
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hi y'all

      Consider if you will a group of volunteers and paid staff who form a
      CoP. They do not have managers whose role it is to “manage” the CoP.
      Rather, how the CoP operates, grows, decays, changes or what is up to
      the CoP members. If the CoP, by definition is a group of folk
      “operating” Wenger’s 3 key ideas .. joint enterprise, mutual working and
      shared repertoire wherein lies the management of these three aspects?

      Has anyone observed a CoP where the membership has internally managed
      it? What can you tell me about what was managed, how it was done .. and
      all of those questions which can be discussed off-line.

      I would be grateful to discuss these issues on or off-line.

      Thanks

      Roy Greenhalgh
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
        Hi Roy,

        I don't know if I understand your question.

        A CoP without designated "managers", is it? I do know a few, all from the same company. The sponsors put together some resources and gave the use to self-formed and self-managed groups... and did some more things, but not to the internal working of the groups.

        The data's not mine to give, and I don't have too much detail, but I think LL (who manages that support) is around the list, if he's not on holidays.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2009
          Hmm. It seems to me that what you describe is what I would call a "natural" CoP as opposed to a "contrived" CoP. So far as I know, CoPs weren't "managed" until their existence and importance made news, at which point they became "contrived" and "managed."

          Fred Nickols
          nickols@...