Re: [cp] Urgent request for info

  • pete bond
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
      Hi Christel, Very interested to hear about your concerns regarding the
      use of external 'platforms' . I have been involved with several projects
      that make use of the kind of new web 2.0 services 'bundles' that can be
      used to support both inter-enterprise and extra-enterprise CoPs (or used
      to encourage the formation of CoPs). I've written a comprehensive guide
      that specifically anticipates top management concerns about 'losing
      control' and 'system abuse'.

      From your brief message I can't tell which 'platforms' you are
      considering, but there is certainly a perception of risk in the one's
      I'm promoting, such as CollectiveX's Groupsite, Mzinga, Fatwire's
      offering, which I think is justified. The platforms I'm interested in
      could, potentially, seed anarchy, but if you want innovation, then they
      could be worth the risk. However, once the risk has been identified, a
      strategy can be put into place to reduce it. As I see it, it is a matter
      of being competent in facilitating 'community' formation, using a mix of
      on- and off-line methods.

      If these are the kind of 'technologies' you are considering then by all
      means contact me directly.

      Pete Bond
      (Learning Futures)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
        Interesting questions, Christel.

        Yesterday I was hosting a SCOPE session (
        http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=2311 ) that seemed relevant
        to this. The SCOPE seminar was about issues that come up when an
        organization (such as the Ministry of Education in Colombia) supports many
        communities that may or may not communicate with each other.

        Yesterday's session turned the question on its had and addressed a quesiton
        that's similar to yours: what happens when one community spreads out beyond
        the organization's own platforms. Specifically, how
        Staffordshire University hosted a community on best e-learning practices
        whose membership was largerly outside the University (
        http://learning.staffs.ac.uk/bestpracticemodels/ ). Interesting that to
        accomplish the learning objectives for the University's own staff, they
        needed to bring along so many "outsiders".

        Anyway, at one point the added a Ning site and a Facebook group to their
        original Moodle space. All three platforms seem to coexist well and they
        each play a role in the community's role. (We talk about this example in
        the Digital Habitats book, which is ALMOST ready to go to the printers.) So
        if you count "by platform" the community lives 2/3rds of the way outside the
        University's "grounds". And if you cound "by member" it might be 5/6th
        outside. I asked Helen Walmsley whether here administration had any
        difficulty with this odd logic (that to accomplish "internal" organizational
        goals they were subsidizing and leveraging "the external" so much). She
        said not.

        By the way, there's a session tomorrow (IN SPANISH) where Alvaro Galvis is
        going to talk about a network for faculty in Colombia. There might be folks
        from IADB that would be interested (unfortunately I won't be there even
        though I was one of the instigators)
        http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5681

        * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd
        * "Can't ask newspapers to invent craigslist..." Clay Shirky
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
          Hi Pete, thanks for your kind reply. I would definitely be very
          interested in the guide you wrote, sounds quite useful, particularly
          for institutions with "controlling" organizational cultures -this is one
          of the challenges that we definitely face.

          As far as the platform, we would have liked to use Sharepoint -given its
          easy integration with other Microsoft applications such as Outlook.
          Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons this was not an option for us at
          this point. Thus, we are currently using ELGG, an open source platform,
          that gives us some flexibility in terms of the design and
          functionalities.

          By the way, I was not aware of the platforms that your are promoting
          (CollectiveXs, etc.) so I will probably contact you directly later to
          learn some more.

          Thanks again and regards,

          Christel

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
            The marketplace for online community tools is very crowded as slide 7 in this report from Forrester indicates: http://www.forrester.com/rb/teleconference/forrester_wave%26trade%3B_report_community_platforms/q/id/5225/t/1

            (you can download the slides for free on the right)