Nonprofits in Second Life Health Panel Expo Event tomorrow, Wed. May 27th

  • Megan Keane
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2009
      Hi everyone-

      I wanted to let you all know about an exciting event we're having
      tomorrow as part of our NetSquared conference. There's many ways to
      participate, so I hope you'll join us for this terrific line-up of
      speakers from health-oriented nonprofits.

      Apologies for any cross-posting.

      The Nonprofit Commons, a project of TechSoup Global (TSG), today
      announced an all-day, innovative online event in Second Life to showcase
      recent developments in health care research, and to connect efforts in
      fighting disease and creating a cooperative and supportive environment
      for patients and their providers. The Health Panel Expo, an
      international online conference sponsored by FasterCures.org, will be
      held on Wednesday, May 27, 2009, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST (also
      called Second Life Time, SLT) in the virtual world of Second Life and
      simultaneously in the real world, being broadcast live at the fourth
      annual NetSquared Conference at Cisco in San Jose, CA.,The Second Life
      online event is free to attend and open to all interested participants.
      It will be accessible through Second Life, and all information will be
      available at http://www.nonprofitcommons.org/healthpanel.

      The Health Panel Expo panelists will include speakers from Aids.gov and
      Community Voicemail discussing mobile health initiatives; Virtual
      Ability, Inc., a nonprofit that brings people with disabilities and
      chronic health conditions into virtual worlds; and Susan Tenby, Online
      Community Director for TSG and the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life.
      Other panelists include experts from the disability, recovery services,
      nutrition, cancer, and AIDS communities.

      The Health Panel Expo marks the official launch of the Health Commons in
      Second Life. As part of TSG's Nonprofit Commons project, Health Commons
      seeks to bring together real-world health-related nonprofits, academics,
      educators, thought-leaders, foundations, and volunteer-supporters to
      showcase recent developments in health care.

      The Health Panel Expo: Event Details

      * The Health Panel Expo is a day-long event with several hour-long
      expert panels in the virtual world of Second Life at Health Commons AMO
      * The Mobile Health Initiatives panel is a mixed-reality session
      on Wednesday, May 27, from 11:15 am-12:15 pm PST (SLT). The live portion
      will take place in the real-world of San Jose, California as part of the
      NetSquared Conference <http://www.netsquared.org/n2y4> , and
      simultaneously within the virtual world of Second Life
      <http://slurl.com/secondlife/AMO/125/59/22> . The panel will also
      feature interactivity between the two worlds.
      * Panels and tours of Nonprofit Commons' four virtual locations
      will take place throughout the day. The complete agenda can be found on
      the NonprofitCommons.org Web site
      <http://www.nonprofitcommons.org/healthpanel> .
      * The event will be recorded via live video and audio and will be
      archived on the Nonprofitcommons.org <http://www.nonprofitcommons.org/>
      Web site.
      * Twitter hashtag of the event: #npslexpo
      <http://search.twitter.com/search?q=npslexpo> .
      * Twitter account for Nonprofit Commons in Second Life is @npsl.
      * Our main events will be taking place on the new Health Commons

      * As we may have more than one full sim, please feel free to watch
      streaming events today from:

      Plush Nonprofit Commons

      Aloft Nonprofit Commons

      Nonprofit Commons in Second Life

      Founded in late 2005, Nonprofit Commons consists of four virtual
      locations, including the EcoCommons, designed for environmental
      nonprofits; and the Health Commons, designed for health-related
      nonprofits. With membership spanning 62 countries and with more than 400
      members from social benefit organizations, the Nonprofit Commons is
      managed by a community of volunteers under the leadership of TSG. This
      virtual community of four nonprofit islands was designed as a virtual
      office park of sorts. It attempts to lower the barriers of access to
      Second Life and to create a community of practice for nonprofits to
      explore and learn about the virtual world. The Nonprofit Commons
      provides an accessible entry-point to Second Life and creates a
      community where nonprofit and social benefit organizations can
      effectively collaborate with one another via an experiential learning
      environment, which allows for interactivity that could not happen on the
      traditional Web and in the real world.

      Members of Nonprofit Commons meet every Friday in the Nonprofit Commons
      in Second Life at 8:30 PST/SLT (also known as Second Life Time) at Plush
      Nonprofit Commons Amphitheater. Visitors are welcome to join. For more
      information, please visit the Nonprofit Commons blog
      http://www.nonprofitcommons.org <http://www.nonprofitcommons.org/> and
      the wiki at http://npsl.wikispaces.com <http://npsl.wikispaces.com/> .

      About TechSoup Global

      San Francisco-based TechSoup Global (www.techsoupglobal.org
      <http://www.techsoupglobal.org/> ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
      that provides technology information to individuals and organizations in
      more than 190 countries, has provided consulting services in more than
      fifty countries and, through its global network of capacity-building
      NGOs, manages product donations to more than 96,000 organizations in 23
      countries. The product donations program has enabled organizations to
      save over $1.3 billion in expenses as of March 2009.

      TechSoup Global continues to innovate with a goal of bringing increased
      resources and capacity to organizations working diligently on their
      social missions. TechSoup Global has a network of more than 35 corporate
      donor partners including Microsoft, Cisco and Symantec. For more
      information about technology donations and resources, visit

      Megan Keane <http://friendfeed.com/penguinasana>

      Online Community Manager, TechSoup Global <http://www.techsoup.org/>

      435 Brannan Street, Suite 300

      San Francisco, CA 94107