Researching Inside Communities of Practice

  • Trevor NESBIT
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hi everyone

      I am just making the final edits to paper that I have written about the way in which a particular organisation exhibits the characteristics of a community of practice - one of the original reviewers had asked me to explicitly identify limitations in the research, and in particular any bias that might be in the study....

      The (what seems to be now a very obvious) observation that I made in the last hour or so was that any research conducted of members of a community of practice will tend to show that they have passion for what the community of practice is about - which in the academic research world could be seen as being a bias ....  but the bias may not be due to a limitation in the research methodology, but in the nature of what a community of practice is (mutual engagement, passion for topic, desire to interact etc etc)....

      Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

      Cheers

      Trevor Nesbit
      Information Systems Lecturer
      University of Canterbury
      Christchurch
      New Zealand

    • Thomas Mathiasen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
        Well yes. I think there would be two forms of bias involved. 1) The bias of the group participant as you mention and 2) the bias of the researcher towards the subject. The reviewers would probably be most anxious about the latter.

        Would the paper be available to the groups?

        Br, Thomas

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
          Trevor wrote “one of the original reviewers had asked me to explicitly
          identify limitations in the research, and in particular any bias that
          might be in the study....”

          Trevor

          This is a hard one.

          You are being asked here to explore two things: “limitations in research
          (method)” and possible bias.

          You don’t mention how you have tackled limitations in the method. So I
          will assume that you have.

          So to bias. You don’t state your method – qualitative, quantitative ..
          or mixed. To me the risk arises in a qualitative method from the stance
          taken by the interviewer. So are you a fan of CoPs? If so .. did this
          show in your question structure, and perhaps in any comments you made as
          the interview progressed? From where did your sample originate, and how
          was it selected?

          I disagree with your claim that”.. that any research conducted of
          members of a community of practice will tend to show that they have
          passion for what the community of practice is about “. Not all CoPs are
          like that. Some are hardly recognised by its members. Did ALL of the
          respondents glow in the dark about the attributes of the CoP? Were
          there no negatively critical comments? Hadn’t the CoP failed in some
          respect?

          Perhaps digging into the data and analysing aspects related to
          homogeneity of the group may be a pointed. Were all members equally
          passionate: what would a 5 point Likert scale show? Are they all
          equally willing to share – equally engaged? I would doubt it having a
          good few years of human experience to call upon.

          Stratify your data, and get to levels of micro analysis. You might find
          something to balance out what is claimed to be bias

          Best wishes from one about to start the data collection

          Roy Greenhalgh
          MPhil/PhD Research Student
          School of Social Sciences
          University of Southampton
          Highfield
          Southampton
          SO17 1BJ

          Email: rg1o07@...
          Phone: 07976 881013

          PS. I would appreciate a copy of your paper on completion. CoPs form a
          major approach in my thesis.