KM Job Opportunity: Director, Sharing and Communities of Practice
- This is forwarded from another list where Sue Hanley posted it....
* John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype: smithjd
* Portland, Oregon, USA http://www.learningAlliances.net
* Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
better! Esther Dyson
The job is fulltime and the location is in SF, NY, or Chicago. If you know
anyone who could be a fit, please have them reach out to Sarah Grayson at
Director, Sharing and Communities of Practice
Who we are.
KIPP is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory
public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved
communities for success in college and in life. There are currently 66 KIPP
schools in 19 states and the District of Columbia serving over 16,000
students. Eighty percent of our students are low-income, and more than 90
percent are African American or Latino.
What we do.
KIPP builds a partnership among parents, students, and teachers that puts
learning first. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school
learning, and a strong culture of achievement, we are focused on helping all
of our students climb the mountain to college. And through a strategic,
regional growth plan, KIPP plans to expand our network to 100 schools
serving 25,000+ students by 2011impacting the educational outcomes of more
students in more underserved communities throughout the country.
Why it matters.
Every day, KIPP students across the nation are proving that demography does
not define destiny. Nationally, more than 80 percent of alumni from the
original KIPP Academies have gone on to college. In 2007, 95 percent of our
alumni matriculated to college-preparatory high schoolsand have earned more
than $25 million in scholarships and financial aid since 2000.
As we continue to achieve results in our growing network of schools, KIPP is
redefining the notion of what is possible in public education. We are
committed to sharing all that we learn in an effort to inspire other
communities to consider the approach that has made KIPP schools successful.
The Research, Design and Innovation team is focused on ensuring that the
KIPP network builds upon and sustains its success as the network continues
to grow. Sustained, successful growth at quality requires: (1) Understanding
our strengths and opportunities in order to continuously improve; (2)
Continuing to innovate; (3) Sharing and learning from best and promising
practices; and (4) Focusing on talent attraction, retention, and development
(a critical factor in ensuring quality growth). Key priorities of the RDI to
fulfill its objectives include:
* Ongoing Research and Evaluation work that provides the data
collection, analysis, and research for us to understand our strengths and
prioritize our opportunities
* Healthy Schools / Healthy Regions efforts that establish a shared
definition of excellence and creates a reference point for meaningful
discussion throughout our network
* Sharing and Communities of Practice efforts to enable continued
innovation through collaboration, syndication of promising practices, and
affiliation/growth opportunities for KIPP employees throughout the Network
* Innovation and Design efforts
* Early Childhood / Elementary Design effort as we prepare to
significantly scale up our EC/Elementary schools
* Development of a Leadership Competency Framework and associated
tools to: create a shared language for discussing performance and
development, provide guidelines for leadership development programming; and
to create common expectations around performance; and provide tools that
facilitate discussions and action planning around performance and
* Teacher Recruitment, Retention and Effectiveness efforts to ensure
we continue to attract, develop and retain the highest quality staff
* Marketing (tightly linked to our Teacher Recruitment efforts) and
internal communication (critical to major change efforts)
The Director, Sharing and Communities of Practice will lead the charge of
creating new learning communities that will serve as a hub for disseminating
and sharing this knowledge through creative use of technology and leveraging
a multitude of resources at the Foundation and regional level. The Director,
Sharing and Communities of Practice will report directly to the Executive
Vice President of Research, Design, and Innovation and work closely with the
senior management team at KIPP.
* Launch and incubate new Communities of Practice. In 2008-09 school
year, this will involve hiring, managing, and developing three
high-performing Community of Practice leaders for English Language Arts,
Special Education, and Science, supporting these direct reports in
cultivating networks of talented teachers throughout KIPP into formal
* Expand into additional academic and/or operational Communities of
Practice during 2009-2010 school
* Develop direct reports around delivery of results and demonstration
of leadership within their respective communities
* Oversee the national rollout of a technology platform to effectively
support Communities of Practice and overall learning and sharing initiatives
* Partner with technology team, existing Communities, and regional
Directors of Sharing
* Lead effort to shape the vision, develop the strategy, and
facilitate the rollout of KIPP's national sharing platform and link this
platform to other key Network-wide applications
* Provide oversight and direction in the creation of portals or sites
to effectively support various Communities of Practice across KIPP regions
* Support planning and execution of the KIPP School Summit (KSS), the
marquee annual event that provides professional development for all members
of the KIPP community. The annual week-long event brings together over 1600
educators, business personnel, board members, funders, and alumni from
throughout the KIPP network. The Director of Communities of Practice,
Learning and Sharing will be an integral part of the KSS leadership team.
* Develop an integrated vision for KSS by connecting the work of the
communities of practice to professional development opportunities for
* Lead the planning processes for the development of the academic
content strands of KSS
* Manage the overall KSS team including driving workplans, managing
obstacles to decisions, communicating progress to key constituencies, and
coordinating the activities of the staff in the delivery of the event.
* Provide leadership and oversight in the development of Communities
of Practice and opportunities for knowledge transfer throughout the
organization and network
* Seek knowledge about best practices within KIPP and external models
for how learning communities are developed and sustained; explores potential
partnerships to enable access to knowledge outside of the KIPP network
* Develop an integrated vision, strategy, and set of framework for how
to build successful Communities of Practice and related learning
opportunities within KIPP
* Enable the creation of successful new communities based on common
criteria and guiding principles
* Support development and growth of existing learning communities
within the KIPP network, identifying key lessons and insights from our work
to date in these areas
* Serves as champion for learning and sharing, by identifying
successful practices from within and outside the KIPP network and enabling
them to be disseminated, adapted and adopted
* Articulate specific needs or demand based on emerging data and
insights from KIPP regions and schools
* Seek examples, cases and potential pilots that might be successfully
rolled out and shared with KIPP teachers, school leaders or regional
* Create effective channels and creative solutions for the transfer
and dissemination of knowledge throughout the network
* Serves as a critical thought-partner to the senior management team
in developing an integrated strategy for professional development efforts
across the Foundation and network
* Understand how Communities of Practice retreats and gatherings
interplay with other programs and events hosted by the Foundation
* Develop a deep understanding of key audiences and community needs to
help inform Foundation strategy and direction
* 7+ years successful project and team management experience.
Demonstrated ability to develop a vision and inspire others to achieve
shared goals. Experience working with distributed organizations, especially
those undergoing growth or change preferred.
* Demonstrated impact in roles that required: exceptional analytic,
strategic-thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills in face of
ambiguity; relationship-building with wide range of audiences; achieving
results while operating within dynamic, fast-paced environment
* Previous experience working with high performing public schools
serving low income children or K-12 public education reform is highly
* Strong computer experience including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Familiarity with web portals and the intranet in order to
strategically use these resources across the KIPP network.
* A willingness to travel, including significant travel to work with a
physically distributed leadership team and network of regions and schools.
* BA required, MBA desirable.
* Ability to model KIPP values at all times
OUR VALUES WHAT WE BELIEVE:
Sense of purpose.
We are inspired to fulfill a mission larger than ourselves. We are a place
for people who enjoy the roles we play in service to our schools and
We work hard to deliver supports and services that are truly valuable to our
schools and regions and the kids they serve. We are resilient, persisting
through obstacles and collaborating across teams in pursuit of solutions.
We appreciate all who are engaged in this challenging work and treat others
as we would like to be treated.
Constant learning and humility.
We seek out and expect regular, constructive feedback, keeping in mind the
limitations of our own experience. We recognize that compelling research,
data, and personal experience offers us the opportunity to change our
practices to best serve our children.
Diversity and inclusivity.
We are building an organization in which talented individuals from all walks
of life and past work experiences can join our team and make significant
contributions. We are particularly committed to attracting and developing
individuals who share the life experiences or racial backgrounds of our
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include
medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401K plan, and a significant
paid time-off package.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]