Re: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

  • joitske
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for these examples, having an example gives you more of an
      insight that when someone just mentions it!

      I would like to jump on your expression of surprise that
      organisations miss the point for the need of facilitation. I have an
      experience where we facilitated a community of practice for 2 years
      on behalf of two organisations. (you can find the case study here by
      the way: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3404250/From-a-meeting-to-a-
      community-of-practice) After the facilitators stepped down, the
      organisations felt that the community should be able to continue 'on
      its own'. I sometimes get the impression that the name community of
      practice or network has a false connotation of complete self-
      organisation. And self-organisation is fine, but then the value
      remains exactly within the small self-organised group. If you want to
      make that knowledge and the social capital more widely accessible,
      you need the kind of leveraging as you do with the facilitation. So
      in the end, the organisations loose out, as the whole thing becomes
      more invisible.

      I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences how they deal
      with this. If they recognize this too. It's like people don't see the
      downsides of complete self-organisation?

      Cheers, Joitske

      --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Glovinsky"
      <steve.glovinsky@...> wrote:

      > Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are
      working in
      > so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
      > www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-
      un_consolidated
      > _reply_examples.zip.
      > Think franchise, and you will get the idea.
      >
      > And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators
      are a key
      > to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised
      that so many
      > organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this
      point.
      > With our focus on providing a research service this point may be
      more
      > obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
      > designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be
      so labor
      > intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to
      be
      > professionally managed....
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for
      start-ups.
      > If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get
      in touch?
      > Thanks. S)

      Behalf

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
        This whole discussion could be summarized here:

        http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Text_Discussions_with_Wikis

        (We're trying to consolidate a lot of resources about CoPs from
        various locations into one public wiki. ALL com-prac members are
        invited to sign-up. Because of the amount of SPAM on an earlier
        effort, I'm controlling access in advance: passers-by can't edit, but,
        like com-prac, once you've said something useful, you're welcome to
        speak up. So, do request an account:

        http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RequestAccount

        And other useful discussions here on com-prac could be gathered
        together there.