RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
      Great contribution, Steve!

      (Here's a tiny URL that's un-folded: http://tinyurl.com/cv4np5 )

      Highlights (from the India example) to my eye:

      * the original (very compelling) question
      * thanks to ALL the contributors
      * Overall summary
      * Detailed recommendations (from experience of responses)
      * Further resources
      * Professional contacts
      * Creative Commons License at the bottom!
      * The india example is NINETEEN PAGES!

      Very rich example.

      I took a shot at tagging it, which might be a case of the "poor man's
      summary": http://delicious.com/smithjd/summaries

      Any other comments about these examples, folks?

      * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
      better!" - Esther Dyson
    • joitske
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi Steve,

        Thanks for these examples, having an example gives you more of an
        insight that when someone just mentions it!

        I would like to jump on your expression of surprise that
        organisations miss the point for the need of facilitation. I have an
        experience where we facilitated a community of practice for 2 years
        on behalf of two organisations. (you can find the case study here by
        the way: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3404250/From-a-meeting-to-a-
        community-of-practice) After the facilitators stepped down, the
        organisations felt that the community should be able to continue 'on
        its own'. I sometimes get the impression that the name community of
        practice or network has a false connotation of complete self-
        organisation. And self-organisation is fine, but then the value
        remains exactly within the small self-organised group. If you want to
        make that knowledge and the social capital more widely accessible,
        you need the kind of leveraging as you do with the facilitation. So
        in the end, the organisations loose out, as the whole thing becomes
        more invisible.

        I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences how they deal
        with this. If they recognize this too. It's like people don't see the
        downsides of complete self-organisation?

        Cheers, Joitske

        --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Glovinsky"
        <steve.glovinsky@...> wrote:

        > Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are
        working in
        > so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
        > www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-
        un_consolidated
        > _reply_examples.zip.
        > Think franchise, and you will get the idea.
        >
        > And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators
        are a key
        > to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised
        that so many
        > organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this
        point.
        > With our focus on providing a research service this point may be
        more
        > obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
        > designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be
        so labor
        > intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to
        be
        > professionally managed....
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for
        start-ups.
        > If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get
        in touch?
        > Thanks. S)

        Behalf

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
          This whole discussion could be summarized here:

          http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Text_Discussions_with_Wikis

          (We're trying to consolidate a lot of resources about CoPs from
          various locations into one public wiki. ALL com-prac members are
          invited to sign-up. Because of the amount of SPAM on an earlier
          effort, I'm controlling access in advance: passers-by can't edit, but,
          like com-prac, once you've said something useful, you're welcome to
          speak up. So, do request an account:

          http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RequestAccount

          And other useful discussions here on com-prac could be gathered
          together there.