RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

  • Steve Glovinsky
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
      Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are working in
      so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
      www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-un_consolidated
      _reply_examples.zip.
      Think franchise, and you will get the idea.

      And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators are a key
      to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised that so many
      organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this point.
      With our focus on providing a research service this point may be more
      obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
      designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be so labor
      intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to be
      professionally managed....

      Steve

      (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for start-ups.
      If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get in touch?
      Thanks. S)

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
        Great contribution, Steve!

        (Here's a tiny URL that's un-folded: http://tinyurl.com/cv4np5 )

        Highlights (from the India example) to my eye:

        * the original (very compelling) question
        * thanks to ALL the contributors
        * Overall summary
        * Detailed recommendations (from experience of responses)
        * Further resources
        * Professional contacts
        * Creative Commons License at the bottom!
        * The india example is NINETEEN PAGES!

        Very rich example.

        I took a shot at tagging it, which might be a case of the "poor man's
        summary": http://delicious.com/smithjd/summaries

        Any other comments about these examples, folks?

        * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
        better!" - Esther Dyson
      • joitske
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi Steve,

          Thanks for these examples, having an example gives you more of an
          insight that when someone just mentions it!

          I would like to jump on your expression of surprise that
          organisations miss the point for the need of facilitation. I have an
          experience where we facilitated a community of practice for 2 years
          on behalf of two organisations. (you can find the case study here by
          the way: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3404250/From-a-meeting-to-a-
          community-of-practice) After the facilitators stepped down, the
          organisations felt that the community should be able to continue 'on
          its own'. I sometimes get the impression that the name community of
          practice or network has a false connotation of complete self-
          organisation. And self-organisation is fine, but then the value
          remains exactly within the small self-organised group. If you want to
          make that knowledge and the social capital more widely accessible,
          you need the kind of leveraging as you do with the facilitation. So
          in the end, the organisations loose out, as the whole thing becomes
          more invisible.

          I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences how they deal
          with this. If they recognize this too. It's like people don't see the
          downsides of complete self-organisation?

          Cheers, Joitske

          --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Glovinsky"
          <steve.glovinsky@...> wrote:

          > Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are
          working in
          > so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
          > www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-
          un_consolidated
          > _reply_examples.zip.
          > Think franchise, and you will get the idea.
          >
          > And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators
          are a key
          > to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised
          that so many
          > organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this
          point.
          > With our focus on providing a research service this point may be
          more
          > obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
          > designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be
          so labor
          > intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to
          be
          > professionally managed....
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for
          start-ups.
          > If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get
          in touch?
          > Thanks. S)

          Behalf

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
            This whole discussion could be summarized here:

            http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Text_Discussions_with_Wikis

            (We're trying to consolidate a lot of resources about CoPs from
            various locations into one public wiki. ALL com-prac members are
            invited to sign-up. Because of the amount of SPAM on an earlier
            effort, I'm controlling access in advance: passers-by can't edit, but,
            like com-prac, once you've said something useful, you're welcome to
            speak up. So, do request an account:

            http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RequestAccount

            And other useful discussions here on com-prac could be gathered
            together there.