RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
      Hi Eric,

      I'm afraid it's more limited, even if it follows the same idea of unifying the management of the conversation. The only advance in this direction that this software makes is using the thread (from which we extract the messages to be turned into the article) as the article's comments section.

      It's just a harvesting tool, really. Makes it easier to gather and shape a formal conclusions document.

      As for the VDC model, I've been looking into some possibilities that are closer than one'd think. The implementation is still very complex in such a fragmented environment :-) but there's a lot of advance in the right direction.

      From: Cornejo Castro, Miguel <miguel.cornejo@...<mailto:miguel.cornejo%40tecnocom.es>>
      To: "com-prac@yahoogroups.com<mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>" <com-prac@yahoogroups.com<mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>>
      Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 8:33 PM

      Hi Amy,

      getting people to document at the end of a discussion has always been an uphill struggle. It means collecting, filtering, polishing and publishing the results... and that can be very tedious and time consuming. Not to mention technically complicated.

      Since I operate some forums and tend to "harvest" them for guides, articles, and other objects, I've been on the lookout for any solution to minimize the hassle. Not finding any, this last month I've finally implemented a custom-built piece of software that enables the (authorised) user to select the interesting messages within a thread, dump them to the editing environment with a single click, tweak to their heart's desire, and then publish with another click; the system automatically creates the cross-link from the article to the thread and viceversa (for additional comments). No authorisation or login issues, no copy-pasting, no different files. Trials went very well and now we're in real use. Which means some people are using it, so it's working.

      Of course that's not the whole solution nor will solve the issue of archives. But it's a start.

      PS - If you happen to use Invision forums and Joomla CMS, and happen to like the idea, let me know :-).

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
        To capture the ‘know-who’ could I propose integrating a social network analysis tool (or the visualization element anyway) with the forum / wiki? This would be ‘signed in to’ by all forum participants as they join….

        Matt Loader

        ローダー・マッシュー

        Technology Communications (NTCE)

        ____________________

        Nissan Technical Centre Europe

        Cranfield Technology Park

        Bedfordshire MK43 0DB

        United Kingdom

        Tel: 01234 755083

        Fax: 01234 755799

        Mobile: 07816988950

        email: matt.loader@... <mailto:matt.loader@...>

[...]

        Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Limited is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales under number 01806912 with its registered office at Washington Road, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear SR5 3NS.

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

        This message including any attachments to it (Message) is private and confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you have received this Message in error, please send an email to email.security@... with a copy of this Message and remove it from your system. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this Message if you are not the intended recipient. The NISSAN EUROPE S.A.S group of companies (NISSAN) reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

        NISSAN is not liable for the proper/complete transmission or any delay in the receipt of this Message . Whilst NISSAN takes care to protect its systems from electronic virus attack or other harmful event, NISSAN gives no warranty that this Message is free of any virus or other harmful matter and accepts no liability for any loss or damage resulting from the recipient receiving, opening or using it.

        Any views or opinions expressed in this Message are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NISSAN.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
          All of the discussion about summarization so far assumes that a community
          almost exclusively lives on one platform. As Nancy aluded to, I think the
          reality is quite a bit more messy. Note the private emails between Eric
          Holder and Miguel Cornejo that were mentioend in this thread. We ourselves
          interact in LOTS of different locations.

          A key event is when a discussion moves from one platform to another -- you
          know it's real when the same damn problems (and some interesting alternate
          solutions) come up in a face-to-face discussion.

          * “Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
          better!” - Esther Dyson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
            --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Glovinsky"
            <steve.glovinsky@...> wrote:

            <snip>

            > The main product or our research service is the
            > "Consolidated Reply" - a template that synthesizes discussion
            threads in the
            > form of an executive brief and captures the experiences and references
            > offered by participants. Our aim is to get all Solution Exchanges
            using the
            > same template so that they can be indexed in a common repository (we are
            > currently building) and shared across countries.

            <snip>

            Sounds interesting, Steve...

            I wonder if you could point us to an example of either the guidelines
            or their use? A URL or a file you could share in the com-prac "files
            area" would be great: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-prac/files

            I think you and Nancy have implicitly brought up the importance of
            paid staff for the functioning of a community. Anything you might
            have to say about that would be very interesting, too.

            * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest
            something better!" — Esther Dyson
          • Amy
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
              John,

              I really like the Q&A idea (and I'll group FAQ's with this too). One
              of the topics that comes up again and again is how to get people to
              read the manual (the "RTFM" file for you MIT grads out there). But
              people don't read manuals to solve a problem (unless desperate); they
              ask a question. If you look at the online resources available from
              companies like Microsoft, it's easy to see that this structure is
              viable and useful for people. I think that MS (and others) do invest
              time in cleaning up the responses and ensuring their accuracy.

              As for all of those archives - it's just frightening how much we
              accumulate. At least with paper, one is motivated to sort through and
              reduce the volume when it threatens to collapse on your work area or
              when you have to walk around the stack. Not so with e-files however.
              Moving platforms and doing backups are about the only time I
              personally pay attention to this. This is particularly bad for
              communities, where there are many contributors but no "owners" for the
              info.

              There is a discipline needed at the time of creation and/or use. Just
              like it's necessary to put the dirty dishes in the sink and wash them,
              so must we be motivated to refine the knowledge at the time of
              creation/use and add it to a knowledge store in a reusable, accessible
              format.

              More comments are always welcome!

              Cheers, Amy P.

              --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Smith" <john.smith@...> wrote:

              > Re amy's comments about the archives...
              >
              > There's a chapter by Finholdt, T. A., Sproull, L., and Kiesler, S.,
              > "Outsiders on the Inside: Sharing Know-How Across Space and Time,"
              in Hinds,
              > Pamela J. and Sara Kiesler (eds), Distributed Work. (Cambridge, MA: MIT
              > Press, 2002), pp. 357-380.
              >
              > It's "old" but argues that the narrative style of a Q&A database
              were more
              > frequently consulted because they had situated cues that users
              (especially
              > remote ones) found helpful in interpreting technical knowledge that
              had been
              > shared. The Q&A form was MORE useful and MORE USED than the
              summarized and
              > cleaned up stuff provided by the same company in the same general
              technical
              > area (this is all from memory and I tend to simplfy stuff, so you
              might go
              > read it).
              >
              > The other source arguing for the long-term utility of list archives
              (like
              > trdev) is Peter G. Kilner PhD Dissertation 2006 "The effects of socially
              > relevant representations in content on members' identities of
              participation
              > and willingness to contribute in distributed communities of practice".
              > Again, based on his presentation in CPsquare, people will situate
              tips and
              > suggestions IN PRACTICE, suggest who they are, what level they're
              working
              > on, etc. (and they often can be coaxed to do a better job of it).
              >
              > Bottom line: it's a BAD idea to throw away archives.
              >
              > ON THE OTHER HAND: CPsquare discussions have been kept for years and
              years
              > and so when new poeple join I shake my head and worry that they'll
              > absolutely CHOKE at the volume and complexity. Just don't know.
              >
              > John
              > *
              > * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype: smithjd
              > * Portland, Oregon, USA http://www.learningAlliances.net
              > * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
              > better!" — Esther Dyson
              Behalf
              > Of Amy
              > Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:13 AM
              > To: com-prac@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage
              > Discussion-Produced Knowledge
              >
              > The discussion about the closing of a forum has triggered me
              > thinking on the KM aspects. Just stopping a forum doesn't have to
              > stop a community - the same group of people could start up again
              > elsewhere (just move the tent to another location). However the
              > archives are indeed lost with the move.
              >
              > This brings up an issue I've been grappling with recently: the
              > discussion group/KM conundrum. Having worked in this domain for many
              > years, I'm of the opinion that the majority of what is said in
              > discussion forums should be deleted periodically, and that it's up
              > to the forum community to capture the important info (know-how and
              > know-who) in another form for ready reference by all members.
              >
              > But that doesn't seem to be the situation with the aforementioned
              > community, and it's certainly not evolved beyond discussion in the
              > groups I work with (in fact, members publish complete solutions out
              > to the forums with attachments).
              >
              > Email archiving policies (deletion after X number of years) may be
              > creating a 'burning platform' to cause companies to look more
              > closely at this issue.
              >
              > So my questions are:
              >
              > -- How do we make the leap from forums to preserving the good bits
              > of knowledge they produce?
              > -- Do we need better tools, practice/process or both, and if so,
              > what?
              > -- What has worked for people on these boards?
              >
              > Web 2.0 seemed to be getting us to a place where some of this would
              > be possible, but I'm afraid that proliferating forums will result in
              > bigger dumpsters. I'm ok for occasional dumpster diving but I don't
              > want to make a career out of it. And I don't believe that Search
              > will ever be good enough to solve this issue.
              >
              > Inputs are most welcome. (I'll document the good stuff at the end of
              > the discussion.)
              >
              > Cheers, Amy P.

            • Steve Glovinsky
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
                Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are working in
                so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
                www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-un_consolidated
                _reply_examples.zip.
                Think franchise, and you will get the idea.

                And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators are a key
                to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised that so many
                organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this point.
                With our focus on providing a research service this point may be more
                obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
                designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be so labor
                intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to be
                professionally managed....

                Steve

                (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for start-ups.
                If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get in touch?
                Thanks. S)

                <http://www.learningAlliances.net> Alliances.net

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Great contribution, Steve!

                  (Here's a tiny URL that's un-folded: http://tinyurl.com/cv4np5 )

                  Highlights (from the India example) to my eye:

                  * the original (very compelling) question
                  * thanks to ALL the contributors
                  * Overall summary
                  * Detailed recommendations (from experience of responses)
                  * Further resources
                  * Professional contacts
                  * Creative Commons License at the bottom!
                  * The india example is NINETEEN PAGES!

                  Very rich example.

                  I took a shot at tagging it, which might be a case of the "poor man's
                  summary": http://delicious.com/smithjd/summaries

                  Any other comments about these examples, folks?

                  * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
                  better!" - Esther Dyson
                • joitske
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Hi Steve,

                    Thanks for these examples, having an example gives you more of an
                    insight that when someone just mentions it!

                    I would like to jump on your expression of surprise that
                    organisations miss the point for the need of facilitation. I have an
                    experience where we facilitated a community of practice for 2 years
                    on behalf of two organisations. (you can find the case study here by
                    the way: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3404250/From-a-meeting-to-a-
                    community-of-practice) After the facilitators stepped down, the
                    organisations felt that the community should be able to continue 'on
                    its own'. I sometimes get the impression that the name community of
                    practice or network has a false connotation of complete self-
                    organisation. And self-organisation is fine, but then the value
                    remains exactly within the small self-organised group. If you want to
                    make that knowledge and the social capital more widely accessible,
                    you need the kind of leveraging as you do with the facilitation. So
                    in the end, the organisations loose out, as the whole thing becomes
                    more invisible.

                    I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences how they deal
                    with this. If they recognize this too. It's like people don't see the
                    downsides of complete self-organisation?

                    Cheers, Joitske

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                      This whole discussion could be summarized here:

                      http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Text_Discussions_with_Wikis

                      (We're trying to consolidate a lot of resources about CoPs from
                      various locations into one public wiki. ALL com-prac members are
                      invited to sign-up. Because of the amount of SPAM on an earlier
                      effort, I'm controlling access in advance: passers-by can't edit, but,
                      like com-prac, once you've said something useful, you're welcome to
                      speak up. So, do request an account:

                      http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RequestAccount

                      And other useful discussions here on com-prac could be gathered
                      together there.