Re: The End of TRDEV from a Community of Practice Perspective

  • Donald Clark
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 25, 2009
      On Jan 25, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Verne Morland wrote:

      > I'm quite interested to learn what Com-Prac members think of this.
      > To my mind, the two key issues are: 1) who "owns" the group and 2)
      > who "owns" the archives.

      According to the owners a while back, TRDEV was a "commons," thus we
      should not act in our own self-interest or we could destroy the
      group. Yet their recent actions showed it was in fact no commons
      because they held the only keys to Fahrenheit 451 it.

      1. Whoever owns the "keys" to a CoP or commons owns the group (which
      means if only a select few hold the keys, then it cannot be
      considered a commons, although it may still be a CoP).

      2. Whoever owns the group owns the archives (because it is in fact
      not a commons -- it is only "leased" to the participants).

      Chris Argysis was correct in that we have an espoused theory (the way
      we think we act) and a theory-in-use (the way we really act).

      Cheers,
      Donald Clark

      Knowledge Jump | http://www.knowledgejump.com/

    • Amy
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
        The discussion about the closing of a forum has triggered me
        thinking on the KM aspects. Just stopping a forum doesn't have to
        stop a community - the same group of people could start up again
        elsewhere (just move the tent to another location). However the
        archives are indeed lost with the move.

        This brings up an issue I've been grappling with recently: the
        discussion group/KM conundrum. Having worked in this domain for many
        years, I'm of the opinion that the majority of what is said in
        discussion forums should be deleted periodically, and that it's up
        to the forum community to capture the important info (know-how and
        know-who) in another form for ready reference by all members.

        But that doesn't seem to be the situation with the aforementioned
        community, and it's certainly not evolved beyond discussion in the
        groups I work with (in fact, members publish complete solutions out
        to the forums with attachments).

        Email archiving policies (deletion after X number of years) may be
        creating a 'burning platform' to cause companies to look more
        closely at this issue.

        So my questions are:

        -- How do we make the leap from forums to preserving the good bits
        of knowledge they produce?
        -- Do we need better tools, practice/process or both, and if so,
        what?
        -- What has worked for people on these boards?

        Web 2.0 seemed to be getting us to a place where some of this would
        be possible, but I'm afraid that proliferating forums will result in
        bigger dumpsters. I'm ok for occasional dumpster diving but I don't
        want to make a career out of it. And I don't believe that Search
        will ever be good enough to solve this issue.

        Inputs are most welcome. (I'll document the good stuff at the end of
        the discussion.)

        Cheers, Amy P.
      • Donald Clark
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2009
          Verne, to add on to my previous post, the choir sang "commons," but
          in the end acted out of their own self-interests. When the original
          owner got tired of running TRDEV, he passed the keys, because his
          espoused theory was the same as his theory-in-use. I find it
          Inimaginable that the present three owners could not find one person,
          out of over 4,000 members*, to pass the keys on to.

          Besides Hardin and Argysis' theories, I also wonder if Harvey's
          Abilene Paradox also played a part in burning down the house.

          *Down to seven members as of this post

          A great run for TRDEV, but a tragic ending,

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
            Re amy's comments about the archives...

            There's a chapter by Finholdt, T. A., Sproull, L., and Kiesler, S.,
            "Outsiders on the Inside: Sharing Know-How Across Space and Time," in Hinds,
            Pamela J. and Sara Kiesler (eds), Distributed Work. (Cambridge, MA: MIT
            Press, 2002), pp. 357-380.

            It's "old" but argues that the narrative style of a Q&A database were more
            frequently consulted because they had situated cues that users (especially
            remote ones) found helpful in interpreting technical knowledge that had been
            shared. The Q&A form was MORE useful and MORE USED than the summarized and
            cleaned up stuff provided by the same company in the same general technical
            area (this is all from memory and I tend to simplfy stuff, so you might go
            read it).

            The other source arguing for the long-term utility of list archives (like
            trdev) is Peter G. Kilner PhD Dissertation 2006 "The effects of socially
            relevant representations in content on members’ identities of participation
            and willingness to contribute in distributed communities of practice".
            Again, based on his presentation in CPsquare, people will situate tips and
            suggestions IN PRACTICE, suggest who they are, what level they're working
            on, etc. (and they often can be coaxed to do a better job of it).

            Bottom line: it's a BAD idea to throw away archives.

            ON THE OTHER HAND: CPsquare discussions have been kept for years and years
            and so when new poeple join I shake my head and worry that they'll
            absolutely CHOKE at the volume and complexity. Just don't know.

            * “Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
            better!” — Esther Dyson

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
              Great discussion

              Maybe it is useful to separate the value of archives and the
              community's sense of attachment to/owner ship of the archives -- even
              if they are never used.

              I suspect that only a small percentage of the members (over time)
              would actually use the archives. But because they hold the words of
              members, there may be both individual and collective sense of
              ownership that have little to do with "utility."

              How would they feel if there had simply been a technical catastrophe
              and the archives disappeared? Would the quality and quantity of the
              response be similar or different? Is it that someone (the current
              list owners) took the decision and they had no say in it?

              I don't think we can underestimate the role of emotions as well as
              intellect in communities. ;-)

              That said, think of all the electronic garbage floating around and
              that one of the biggest barriers to knowledge sharing is the
              complaint that "i don't have enough time and there is too much out
              there and not all of it has value to me."

              Damned if you do, damned if you dont!

              At 10:37 AM 1/28/2009, you wrote:
              >Bottom line: it's a BAD idea to throw away archives.
              >
              >ON THE OTHER HAND: CPsquare discussions have been kept for years and years
              >and so when new poeple join I shake my head and worry that they'll
              >absolutely CHOKE at the volume and complexity. Just don't know.

              Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
              nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
              Twitter NancyWhite
              http://www.fullcirc.com/
            • Nancy White
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                At 01:25 AM 1/28/2009, you wrote:
                >-- How do we make the leap from forums to preserving the good bits
                >of knowledge they produce?

                A community I belong to keeps trying to capture "community knowledge"
                distilled from conversations into our wiki. We struggle to find the
                time/energy to keep it up. It seems we go in cycles where we really
                are doing a great job, and the wiki then attracts new members, and
                other times when the energy to do this lags. (Http://www.km4dev.org/wiki)
                UNDP has a very codified practice of harvesting from very structured
                community discussion lists - a practice they have trained low income
                women to do, by the way, to both save costs and to build
                microbusinesses around the practice, and this has proved to be very
                useful for them.
                <http://www.solutionexchange-un.net.in/en/index.php>http://www.solutionexchange-un.net.in/en/index.php

                In the work I do in international development, the passing of
                stories/info learned on discussion lists into F2F settings seems very
                common - so common no one really notices or nutures it. It just
                happens. Some organizations are blogging to share out (see the ICT-KM
                program of the CGIAR
                <http://ictkm.wordpress.com/>http://ictkm.wordpress.com/ ) This sort
                of blending or, as John Smith likes to call it - straddling across
                technologies -- seems common.

                >-- Do we need better tools, practice/process or both, and if so,
                >what?
                >-- What has worked for people on these boards?

                Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
                nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
                Twitter NancyWhite
                http://www.fullcirc.com/

              • Steve Glovinsky
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                  Hi Nancy,

                  Steve Glovinsky here, with some elaboration/clarification on your reference
                  to the United Nation's Solution Exchange (I set it up). First, Solution
                  Exchange was very deliberately designed to capture experiential knowledge of
                  members of Communities of Practice - we organize members in e-mail
                  mailgroups around development topics - work & employment, governance, food &
                  nutrition, maternal & child health etc., in support of the Millennium
                  Developmen Goals. Our business model combines a CoP with a research
                  service, anchored within a UN-sponsored space to give it the impartiality
                  that ensures we have the widest range of member perspectives. Members come
                  from government, NGOs, research institutes and academia, donors and private
                  sector. Each Community - the ones in India are now up around 2-3,000
                  members - has one full-time Community facilitator supported by a Research
                  Associate. It works quite well as a new role for UN Agencies in the
                  countries they work in. The idea of organizing CoPs and putting them to
                  work helping each other out has been well received by development
                  professionals, and so far we have expanded from India to Bhutan, Thailand
                  and Indonesia (Aceh). The main product or our research service is the
                  "Consolidated Reply" - a template that synthesizes discussion threads in the
                  form of an executive brief and captures the experiences and references
                  offered by participants. Our aim is to get all Solution Exchanges using the
                  same template so that they can be indexed in a common repository (we are
                  currently building) and shared across countries.

                  Now, I know our facilitation teams are mostly women and not particularly
                  well-paid, but I would not exactly call them "low income women"...

                  Steve

                  <Http://www.km4dev.org/wiki> org/wiki)
                  <http://www.solution <http://www.solutionexchange-un.net.in/en/index.php>

                  <http://ictkm. <http://ictkm.wordpress.com/> wordpress.com/>http://ictkm.
                  <http://ictkm.wordpress.com/> wordpress.com/ ) This sort
                  of blending or, as John Smith likes to call it - straddling across
                  technologies -- seems common.

                  >-- Do we need better tools, practice/process or both, and if so,
                  >what?
                  >-- What has worked for people on these boards?

                  Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
                  nancyw@fullcirc. <mailto:nancyw%40fullcirc.com> com | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT
                  - 8 |skype - choconancy |
                  Twitter NancyWhite
                  http://www.fullcirc <http://www.fullcirc.com/> .com/

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                    Hi Amy,

                    getting people to document at the end of a discussion has always been an uphill struggle. It means collecting, filtering, polishing and publishing the results... and that can be very tedious and time consuming. Not to mention technically complicated.

                    Since I operate some forums and tend to "harvest" them for guides, articles, and other objects, I've been on the lookout for any solution to minimize the hassle. Not finding any, this last month I've finally implemented a custom-built piece of software that enables the (authorised) user to select the interesting messages within a thread, dump them to the editing environment with a single click, tweak to their heart's desire, and then publish with another click; the system automatically creates the cross-link from the article to the thread and viceversa (for additional comments). No authorisation or login issues, no copy-pasting, no different files. Trials went very well and now we're in real use. Which means some people are using it, so it's working.

                    Of course that's not the whole solution nor will solve the issue of archives. But it's a start.

                    PS - If you happen to use Invision forums and Joomla CMS, and happen to like the idea, let me know :-).

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
                      Miguel - That sounds like a step toward the Virtual Dynamic Community - or at least the  blogger/commenter tool you and I had swapped emails about some time back.  Sounds great.  So does it let you post to multiple destinations at once, so you can respond to all the places from which the discussion elements came - and/or to all the places it could be relevant?
                      Amy - This is not without work, but I've found that when a community maintains a wiki in conjunction with their forum (the operative word being "maintains"), it is ideal for cataloging ideas, discoveries, conclusions, resources - and can be much easier to find things than searching the forum logs/archives (when accessible).  The trick, of course, is getting participation in maintaining the wiki as a resource, and requires a long-term
                      perspective!
                      Eric

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                        Hi Eric,

                        I'm afraid it's more limited, even if it follows the same idea of unifying the management of the conversation. The only advance in this direction that this software makes is using the thread (from which we extract the messages to be turned into the article) as the article's comments section.

                        It's just a harvesting tool, really. Makes it easier to gather and shape a formal conclusions document.

                        As for the VDC model, I've been looking into some possibilities that are closer than one'd think. The implementation is still very complex in such a fragmented environment :-) but there's a lot of advance in the right direction.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                          To capture the ‘know-who’ could I propose integrating a social network analysis tool (or the visualization element anyway) with the forum / wiki? This would be ‘signed in to’ by all forum participants as they join….

                          Matt Loader

                          ローダー・マッシュー

                          Technology Communications (NTCE)

                          ____________________

                          Nissan Technical Centre Europe

                          Cranfield Technology Park

                          Bedfordshire MK43 0DB

                          United Kingdom

                          Tel: 01234 755083

                          Fax: 01234 755799

                          Mobile: 07816988950

                          email: matt.loader@... <mailto:matt.loader@...>

[...]

                          Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Limited is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales under number 01806912 with its registered office at Washington Road, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear SR5 3NS.

                          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

                          This message including any attachments to it (Message) is private and confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you have received this Message in error, please send an email to email.security@... with a copy of this Message and remove it from your system. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this Message if you are not the intended recipient. The NISSAN EUROPE S.A.S group of companies (NISSAN) reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

                          NISSAN is not liable for the proper/complete transmission or any delay in the receipt of this Message . Whilst NISSAN takes care to protect its systems from electronic virus attack or other harmful event, NISSAN gives no warranty that this Message is free of any virus or other harmful matter and accepts no liability for any loss or damage resulting from the recipient receiving, opening or using it.

                          Any views or opinions expressed in this Message are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NISSAN.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                            All of the discussion about summarization so far assumes that a community
                            almost exclusively lives on one platform. As Nancy aluded to, I think the
                            reality is quite a bit more messy. Note the private emails between Eric
                            Holder and Miguel Cornejo that were mentioend in this thread. We ourselves
                            interact in LOTS of different locations.

                            A key event is when a discussion moves from one platform to another -- you
                            know it's real when the same damn problems (and some interesting alternate
                            solutions) come up in a face-to-face discussion.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                              --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Glovinsky"
                              <steve.glovinsky@...> wrote:

                              <snip>

                              > The main product or our research service is the
                              > "Consolidated Reply" - a template that synthesizes discussion
                              threads in the
                              > form of an executive brief and captures the experiences and references
                              > offered by participants. Our aim is to get all Solution Exchanges
                              using the
                              > same template so that they can be indexed in a common repository (we are
                              > currently building) and shared across countries.

                              <snip>

                              Sounds interesting, Steve...

                              I wonder if you could point us to an example of either the guidelines
                              or their use? A URL or a file you could share in the com-prac "files
                              area" would be great: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-prac/files

                              I think you and Nancy have implicitly brought up the importance of
                              paid staff for the functioning of a community. Anything you might
                              have to say about that would be very interesting, too.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
                                John,

                                I really like the Q&A idea (and I'll group FAQ's with this too). One
                                of the topics that comes up again and again is how to get people to
                                read the manual (the "RTFM" file for you MIT grads out there). But
                                people don't read manuals to solve a problem (unless desperate); they
                                ask a question. If you look at the online resources available from
                                companies like Microsoft, it's easy to see that this structure is
                                viable and useful for people. I think that MS (and others) do invest
                                time in cleaning up the responses and ensuring their accuracy.

                                As for all of those archives - it's just frightening how much we
                                accumulate. At least with paper, one is motivated to sort through and
                                reduce the volume when it threatens to collapse on your work area or
                                when you have to walk around the stack. Not so with e-files however.
                                Moving platforms and doing backups are about the only time I
                                personally pay attention to this. This is particularly bad for
                                communities, where there are many contributors but no "owners" for the
                                info.

                                There is a discipline needed at the time of creation and/or use. Just
                                like it's necessary to put the dirty dishes in the sink and wash them,
                                so must we be motivated to refine the knowledge at the time of
                                creation/use and add it to a knowledge store in a reusable, accessible
                                format.

                                More comments are always welcome!

                                Cheers, Amy P.

                                --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Smith" <john.smith@...> wrote:

                                > Re amy's comments about the archives...
                                >
                                > There's a chapter by Finholdt, T. A., Sproull, L., and Kiesler, S.,
                                > "Outsiders on the Inside: Sharing Know-How Across Space and Time,"
                                in Hinds,
                                > Pamela J. and Sara Kiesler (eds), Distributed Work. (Cambridge, MA: MIT
                                > Press, 2002), pp. 357-380.
                                >
                                > It's "old" but argues that the narrative style of a Q&A database
                                were more
                                > frequently consulted because they had situated cues that users
                                (especially
                                > remote ones) found helpful in interpreting technical knowledge that
                                had been
                                > shared. The Q&A form was MORE useful and MORE USED than the
                                summarized and
                                > cleaned up stuff provided by the same company in the same general
                                technical
                                > area (this is all from memory and I tend to simplfy stuff, so you
                                might go
                                > read it).
                                >
                                > The other source arguing for the long-term utility of list archives
                                (like
                                > trdev) is Peter G. Kilner PhD Dissertation 2006 "The effects of socially
                                > relevant representations in content on members' identities of
                                participation
                                > and willingness to contribute in distributed communities of practice".
                                > Again, based on his presentation in CPsquare, people will situate
                                tips and
                                > suggestions IN PRACTICE, suggest who they are, what level they're
                                working
                                > on, etc. (and they often can be coaxed to do a better job of it).
                                >
                                > Bottom line: it's a BAD idea to throw away archives.
                                >
                                > ON THE OTHER HAND: CPsquare discussions have been kept for years and
                                years
                                > and so when new poeple join I shake my head and worry that they'll
                                > absolutely CHOKE at the volume and complexity. Just don't know.
                                >
                                > John
                                > *
                                > * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype: smithjd
                                > * Portland, Oregon, USA http://www.learningAlliances.net
                                > * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
                                > better!" — Esther Dyson
                                Behalf
                                > Of Amy
                                > Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:13 AM
                                > To: com-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage
                                > Discussion-Produced Knowledge
                                >
                                > The discussion about the closing of a forum has triggered me
                                > thinking on the KM aspects. Just stopping a forum doesn't have to
                                > stop a community - the same group of people could start up again
                                > elsewhere (just move the tent to another location). However the
                                > archives are indeed lost with the move.
                                >
                                > This brings up an issue I've been grappling with recently: the
                                > discussion group/KM conundrum. Having worked in this domain for many
                                > years, I'm of the opinion that the majority of what is said in
                                > discussion forums should be deleted periodically, and that it's up
                                > to the forum community to capture the important info (know-how and
                                > know-who) in another form for ready reference by all members.
                                >
                                > But that doesn't seem to be the situation with the aforementioned
                                > community, and it's certainly not evolved beyond discussion in the
                                > groups I work with (in fact, members publish complete solutions out
                                > to the forums with attachments).
                                >
                                > Email archiving policies (deletion after X number of years) may be
                                > creating a 'burning platform' to cause companies to look more
                                > closely at this issue.
                                >
                                > So my questions are:
                                >
                                > -- How do we make the leap from forums to preserving the good bits
                                > of knowledge they produce?
                                > -- Do we need better tools, practice/process or both, and if so,
                                > what?
                                > -- What has worked for people on these boards?
                                >
                                > Web 2.0 seemed to be getting us to a place where some of this would
                                > be possible, but I'm afraid that proliferating forums will result in
                                > bigger dumpsters. I'm ok for occasional dumpster diving but I don't
                                > want to make a career out of it. And I don't believe that Search
                                > will ever be good enough to solve this issue.
                                >
                                > Inputs are most welcome. (I'll document the good stuff at the end of
                                > the discussion.)
                                >
                                > Cheers, Amy P.

                              • Steve Glovinsky
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
                                  Done - I've posted four examples from the four countries we are working in
                                  so far. I set them up as pdf files on our site at
                                  www.solex-un.net/operations/comms_material/solution_exchange-un_consolidated
                                  _reply_examples.zip.
                                  Think franchise, and you will get the idea.

                                  And yes, John, well qualified, well trained, full-time moderators are a key
                                  to success. When I present to new groups I am always surprised that so many
                                  organizations trying to introduce Communities of Practice miss this point.
                                  With our focus on providing a research service this point may be more
                                  obvious, and I can see where the more typical discussion groups, not
                                  designed to "put their communities to work", would not need to be so labor
                                  intensive. But still, serious professional efforts usually need to be
                                  professionally managed....

                                  Steve

                                  (Could I put in a plug? The "franchise" is in need of funds for start-ups.
                                  If anyone has or knows of a possible source could they please get in touch?
                                  Thanks. S)

                                  <http://www.learningAlliances.net> Alliances.net

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
                                    Great contribution, Steve!

                                    (Here's a tiny URL that's un-folded: http://tinyurl.com/cv4np5 )

                                    Highlights (from the India example) to my eye:

                                    * the original (very compelling) question
                                    * thanks to ALL the contributors
                                    * Overall summary
                                    * Detailed recommendations (from experience of responses)
                                    * Further resources
                                    * Professional contacts
                                    * Creative Commons License at the bottom!
                                    * The india example is NINETEEN PAGES!

                                    Very rich example.

                                    I took a shot at tagging it, which might be a case of the "poor man's
                                    summary": http://delicious.com/smithjd/summaries

                                    Any other comments about these examples, folks?

                                    * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
                                    better!" - Esther Dyson
                                  • joitske
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                                      Hi Steve,

                                      Thanks for these examples, having an example gives you more of an
                                      insight that when someone just mentions it!

                                      I would like to jump on your expression of surprise that
                                      organisations miss the point for the need of facilitation. I have an
                                      experience where we facilitated a community of practice for 2 years
                                      on behalf of two organisations. (you can find the case study here by
                                      the way: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3404250/From-a-meeting-to-a-
                                      community-of-practice) After the facilitators stepped down, the
                                      organisations felt that the community should be able to continue 'on
                                      its own'. I sometimes get the impression that the name community of
                                      practice or network has a false connotation of complete self-
                                      organisation. And self-organisation is fine, but then the value
                                      remains exactly within the small self-organised group. If you want to
                                      make that knowledge and the social capital more widely accessible,
                                      you need the kind of leveraging as you do with the facilitation. So
                                      in the end, the organisations loose out, as the whole thing becomes
                                      more invisible.

                                      I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences how they deal
                                      with this. If they recognize this too. It's like people don't see the
                                      downsides of complete self-organisation?

                                      Cheers, Joitske

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                                        This whole discussion could be summarized here:

                                        http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Text_Discussions_with_Wikis

                                        (We're trying to consolidate a lot of resources about CoPs from
                                        various locations into one public wiki. ALL com-prac members are
                                        invited to sign-up. Because of the amount of SPAM on an earlier
                                        effort, I'm controlling access in advance: passers-by can't edit, but,
                                        like com-prac, once you've said something useful, you're welcome to
                                        speak up. So, do request an account:

                                        http://cpsquare.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RequestAccount

                                        And other useful discussions here on com-prac could be gathered
                                        together there.