RE: [cp] The Death - by Execution - of a Community - FW: ANNOUNCEMENT: The closure of trdev

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2009
      Sorry your posting was delayed, Verne. First time posts are always
      moderated no this list. Free to post thereafter.

      The message from the leaders does seem peculiar, especially deleting the
      archives!

      I think that looking at end-of-life issues for a community is very
      important. Maybe you should gather all the "requiem", RIP messages into a
      case study for com-prac. I see several:

      * “Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
      better!” — Esther Dyson
    • Derek Chirnside
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2009

        > There.

        There ia a lot of history behind this:
        Stephen Downes: http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/page.cgi?post=47500
        http://bdld.blogspot.com/

        A couple of posts seem to go back to 2000
        http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/training_and_development/50221

        Fascinating.

        I personally can't conceive of something to make me kill off and delete
        resources and history in this kind of setting - there are a score of middle
        ways. But others I do know see things differently. Parents angry at kids
        not doing what they are told can merely cut them off and pretend they don't
        exist.

      • Verne Morland
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
          Thank you, John. You're right - the final postings do constitute an
          interesting snapshot of the final days of TRDEV.

          Most posters are thanking the moderators and the other members who have
          shared their knowledge and expertise through their postings over the years.
          A few have expressed support for the moderators' decision to close the list.
          And a number of others have expressed emotions ranging from disappointment
          and resignation to anger and activism over the unilateral decision to close
          the group and delete the archives.

          Unfortunately, the exigencies of making a living do not permit me the luxury
          of collecting and studying the closing messages. Perhaps someone on the
          com-prac list who has research charter would like to take up this task.

          Regards,
          Verne

          D. Verne Morland
          Managing Partner

          ROI Learning Services
          624 Enid Avenue
          Kettering, Ohio 45429
          Tel: (937) 434-3267
          Web: <http://www.roi-learning.com/> www.roi-learning.com
          Email: <mailto:verne@...> verne@...

          "We put the earn in learning."T

          _____

          Sorry your posting was delayed, Verne. First time posts are always
          moderated no this list. Free to post thereafter.

          The message from the leaders does seem peculiar, especially deleting the
          archives!

          I think that looking at end-of-life issues for a community is very
          important. Maybe you should gather all the "requiem", RIP messages into a
          case study for com-prac. I see several:

          groups.yahoo.com/group/trdev/

          * Portland, Oregon, USA http://www.learning
          <http://www.learningAlliances.net> Alliances.net
          * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
          better!" - Esther Dyson

        • Derek Chirnside
            list that has been killed (Trdev).
            ====
            I was interested in this since my job has metamorphosed for a year into
            Training and Development. (Much as I dislike the term training)

            When I tried to look at the list of course I had to join. But they refused
            my request. (Quite logically, as It does die today) (It's not often you
            know about a death in advance)

            Then another e-mail arrived. There is the second list that wound down in
            2000 now winding up. Out of the ashes of a cremation comes something with
            some possibility (maybe) of being revitalised.
            It is not on Yahoo: it's an old list serv. Will be interesting to see how
            it goes without the facuntionalioty of yahoo groups etc.

            It is no doubt sad that the archives have gone. This in my mind points to
            the balance between OWNED and often then foibles, prejudices, biases - but
            also passion and commitment - and a sort of collective model - with a
            different kind of passion, attenuated by the group.

            Here is a clip from the e-mail about Trdev-L:
            info/instructions for Trdev-L is found below, which has reopened. Please
            subscribe there.
            If you are interested in a strictly instructional design list, contact Bev
            at phoenixziaco@...
            Thank you for being a member.

            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            TRDEV-L, the Training Development list, is renewed and running
            officially. TRDEV-L began when the Internet was a child in 1990. TRDEV-
            L has been an "announcement-only" LISTSERV since 13 October 2000.

            TRDEV-L is open and running at this moment as a private, subscriber-
            only LISTSERV offered purely as a gift of the Penn State Net Gods next
            to whom I am merely a hapless, truckling peon.

            There still are 2,703 subscribers to TRDEV-L. If you are not a TRDEV-L
            subscriber and you would like to subscribe, send mail to:
            LISTSERV@...
            and include the following, and only the following, in the body of the
            note: SUBSCRIBE TRDEV-L <your name here>
            where your first and last name is substituted for <your name here>.

            More TRDEV-L resources might become available as the list scales up
            again.

            Here is the "Welcome" file sent to new TRDEV-L subscribers.
            ---------------------------------------
            WELCOME TO:

            TRDEV-L: LISTSERV DISCUSSION GROUP
            FOR TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT

            < MISSION >

            TRDEV-L provides a forum for the exchange of information
            on the training and the development of human resources.
            Training is designed to improved human work performance
            on the job, and development prepares employees to adjust
            and grow with the organization. Training and development
            plays a strategic role in organization performance, and
            human resource professionals have a responsibility to
            explore their field and to expand their knowledge base.
            Participation in activities such as TRDEV-L assist in
            accomplishing this task.

            < DIRECTORY OF IMPORTANT ADDRESSES >

            Subscription, signing off, changing delivery option
            -- LISTSERV@...

            Submission of postings to TRDEV-L
            -- TRDEV-L@...

            Personal mail to TRDEV-L List Owner, David Passmore
            -- dlp@...

            < HISTORY >

            TRDEV-L originally was developed and field-tested through
            a one-year grant from the Technical Foundation of America.
            The $4,797 grant was awarded in 1990 for the development
            and field-testing of a world-wide computer network in trade
            and industrial and technology education. TRDEV-L operates
            using the extensive resources and support provided by Penn
            State's Center for Academic Computing and the Workforce
            Education & Development Program in Penn State's College of
            Education.

            On 13 October 2000, TRDEV-L was converted to an
            "announcement-only" list due to persistent abuse by
            several subscribers as well as lack of support and strong demands
            by Penn State administrators for the lack of revenue production
            by TRDEV-L operations. On 22 January 2009, TRDEV-L resumed
            operations.
            (End clip)

            2009/1/26 Verne Morland <verne@...>

            > Thank you, John. You're right - the final postings do constitute an
            > interesting snapshot of the final days of TRDEV.
            >
            > Most posters are thanking the moderators and the other members who have
            > shared their knowledge and expertise through their postings over the years.
            > A few have expressed support for the moderators' decision to close the
            > list.
            > And a number of others have expressed emotions ranging from disappointment
            > and resignation to anger and activism over the unilateral decision to close
            > the group and delete the archives.
            >
            > Unfortunately, the exigencies of making a living do not permit me the
            > luxury
            > of collecting and studying the closing messages. Perhaps someone on the
            > com-prac list who has research charter would like to take up this task.

          • Phil Klein
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
              I think the TRdev list did not end in an unusual or an uncommon way. I also
              thing "death by execution" is not really a fair expression; rather this
              seems from my limited familiarity like a natural end that many groups
              undergo, often under similar circumstances. In other words, if the group had
              continued to be healthy and have the support it needed, the death would not
              have occurred, rather than simply if the leaders had not pulled the switch
              on some kind of community electric chair. Though not usually so
              dramatically, I've seen many online communities implode in a similar
              fashion, when the costs (primarily personally born and rarely if ever
              supported with adequate financial and other compensation to ensure
              reasonable facilitators believe their effort is worth their time, devolution
              to ad hominem and petty complaints as more important than the expressed
              purpose of the group, and other reasons).

              As a result of seeing the demise of various communities, I think of the
              ends or deaths of online communities as a natural event, usually preceded by
              years and months of indicators that all was not well).

              For the CP group, I ask:

              1) Are the suggestions made below or something similar or better
              already in place for the CP list, and provided for most online groups in
              which you participate? If so, what is your preferred template or guidance on
              these?

              2) How can groups more effectively anticipate and communicate troubles
              before they erupt (or irrupt, to use Jung's beautiful term) and cease like
              the proverbial Norweigian Blue Parrot of Monty Python renown ("he's not
              dead, he's pining, pining for the fjords).

              3) For what set or percentage or kinds of online groups is it important
              to preserve the knowledge beyond 1 year old? (to my mind it's less than 30%)

              I suggest all online groups with a repository or collective documents of
              value:

              1) think of this in advance, and envision an exit or archiving strategy
              in the case that current facilitators leave their posts and replacements are
              not readily in place.

              2) provide for a succession strategy for providing a de facto lead or
              facilitator in

              3) create an explicit document ownership protocol that supports the
              survival of valuable group-generated knowledge.

              Best,

              Phil

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 27, 2009
                Phil, IMHO the suggestions you make are very good ideas for any serious community.

                I've seen the winding down of a few communities, and usually members are allowed to download and keep the archives (to facilitate a migration), or there is a period of existence (while the list or forum is closed) for members to peruse, copy or consult. Different situations, different solutions.

                Re Donald's comments. What is clear is that any community has managers who take the workload (and often the financial load) of running the underlying resource. That does mean there is an ownership issue, but the content's ownership is another matter. Also, ownership and management are different: you may have intellectual rights on the content, but the manager is under no obligation to keep it forever published on their resource.

                Also, the situation in privately owned resources or listservs is very different from "hosted" environments (Yahoo et al) where you can really switch moderators and relieve the old ones of all the pressure.

                Quite a useful subject to consider. Although I dare say very few lists are ready to work out fixed rules for their eventual winding down.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 27, 2009
                  There are a couple of examples of community collapse or end-of-life -- and I
                  think they are worth looking at. A couple that I know of:

                  * A few years ago, ACT-KM found itself closed because a member said he'd sue
                  Yahoo! for defamation. It stimulated the community to reorganize, get their
                  own platform and continue. I think Nancy White and others used contacts at
                  Yahoo to get the archives restored. So the near-death experience was a
                  stimulus.

                  * Christine Rizzuto and others at IBM looked at some 70 communities that had
                  become inactive and published a paper somewhere. As I recall, the fate of
                  the community followed the fate of its leader, who was reassigned, moved on,
                  left the company or whatever.

                  Although it sounds like the death of trdev is unfortunate, I think we need
                  to be looking for examples that are "positive" in one way or another. Clay
                  Shirky, for example, talks about how open source projects (which always have
                  a CoP element) are successful as a whole because individual projects can
                  fork or die so easily.

                  * "Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
                  better!" - Esther Dyson
                • Fred Nickols
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2009
                    Sorry, y'all but I've been busy and just now got around to checking
                    the CoP posts. I've been a member of the TRDEV group in three
                    incarnations: (1) the original TRDEV-L list set up by David Passmore,
                    (2) its successor, TRDEV on Yahoo (the one recently killed) and (3)
                    TRDEV-L (resurrected and also run by David Passmore). The original
                    list was "killed" too, because its members' email addresses and
                    postings were being "harvested" and made use of elsewhere. The second
                    version of TRDEV (on Yahoo) had its problems and I suspect these
                    really wore down the moderators/owners. That they destroyed the
                    archives is to me an inexcusable breach of professional conduct. This
                    is more inexcusable given their insistence that the postings belonged
                    to the posters. (Excuse me while I trash your stuff.)

                    In the end, TRDEV had about 4.5K members. The resurrected TRDEV-L has
                    about 450, roughly 10 percent of the "executed" list.

                    If I recall correctly, when TRDEV(1) was shot, TRDEV(2) benefited from
                    TRDEV(1)'s mailing list. Somehow, I don't think TRDEV(3) had had the
                    same advantage.

                    Yet, I'll wager you this: Yahoo still has those TRDEV(2) archives.
                    Data doesn't disappear in our modern world. Hmm. I wonder how Yahoo
                    would response to a lawsuit? Gee, I guess I'll find out.

                    Talk to y'all later :-)

                    Cantankerous SOB

                    --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Verne Morland" <verne@...> wrote:

                    > Yesterday, Jan. 22, 2009, Kobus Kruger, one of the three "owners" of the
                    > TRDEV group on Yahoo! wrote to the approximately 4,400 members that
                    he and
                    > the other two owners had decided to terminate the group - see full
                    message
                    > below. In summary, the owners apparently felt that the quality of the
                    > group's discourse had seriously deteriorated, they themselves have other
                    > priorities in their lives, and it is time to move on, embrace new
                    > technologies, etc.
                    >
                    > Here is an excerpt. Note the use of the past tense with respect to the
                    > archives.
                    >
                    > > The trdev list will close on January 27. The list's archives have
                    been
                    > deleted
                    > > and the membership database will be deleted at that time...
                    > >
                    > > This decision is final, and the owners will not enter into any
                    > correspondence
                    > > about it. This decision came over several months and after several
                    > alternatives
                    > > were explored.
                    > >
                    > > Please use the next two days to say your goodbyes and refrain from
                    > blaming and
                    > > second guessing our decision. It is not a democratic decision,
                    but then
                    > (as we
                    > > have pointed out several times in the past) neither is or was
                    trdev ever
                    > a democracy.
                    >
                    > I'm quite interested to learn what Com-Prac members think of this.
                    To my
                    > mind, the two key issues are: 1) who "owns" the group and 2)who
                    "owns" the
                    > archives.
                    >
                    > These issues can and should be intellectually explored, but as a thought
                    > experiment I encourage each of you to read the message below and
                    substitute
                    > "com-prac" for "trdev." Then ask yourself how you *feel* about the
                    > decision. I'm also interested in your thoughts along those lines.
                    >
                    > As a point of reference, TRDEV currently has about 4,400 members.
                    It has
                    > existed as a Yahoo! Group for 8 years and 4 months and as an
                    Internet mail
> [...]
                    message and
                    > topic stream that begs the question of the continuing usefulness of the
                    > list.
                    >
                    > The usefulness of the list must further be seen against the
                    background of
                    > the growth of networking media, as much as it is to be seen in the
                    light of
                    > the economic pressure the economy is under. When the list started, blogs
                    > were in its infancy. Social networking on the net then consisted of
                    sending
                    > a friend an email. Mobile technologies had yet to reach the 3G
                    stage. Over
                    > time these connection technologies matured and steadily chipped away
                    at our
                    > subscriber base.
                    >
                    > Of our current roughly 4K subscribers, the participation rate -
                    messages per
                    > subscriber per year - has also declined, again bringing the question of
                    > usefulness to the fore. Link this to the increasingly more common
                    complaint
                    > of our unsubscribing members, some of them long time participants, that
                    > discussions on trdev are dominated by regular posters. This created the
                    > perception of trdev as a club of insiders, indicative of an insider
                    culture
                    > acting as an immune system.
                    >
                    > Apart of the foregoing we, the owners of the trdev list, need to
                    move on.
                    > Although the theories and practices of Training and Development and
                    > Performance Improvement will always remain part of the lenses with
                    which we
                    > view and understand the world of work, our careers and interests have
                    > shifted and our work-time demands now are vastly different from a
                    few years
                    > ago.
                    >
                    > During the last few years we have made several and repeated appeals for
                    > assistance. Those coordinators who did join us brought an impressive
                    range
                    > of skills and insights to the often thankless task of coordinating
                    postings
                    > to the list. Quite a few of them, such as Paughnee Moore, Don Denier,
                    > Godfrey Parkin, Holly Gaspar and Joy Jacob stuck around for a
                    considerable
                    > time, but eventually life has a way of moving on, and most opted to
                    quit as
                    > active coordinators.
                    > Understandably, with their insight into the list's demands on
                    owners, none
                    > of them were willing to take over the ownership of trdev. Apart
                    from these
                    > few individuals, the other coordinators also rendered valuable
                    assistance,
                    > but moved on when they needed to. The list include the likes of Dave
                    > Ferguson, Gautam Ghosh, Ajit Limaye, Mike Willis, James Morrissey, Mike
                    > Greer, Mike Morrell, B Prem Rao, Karishma Pais, Lucy Ford, Beth
                    Tang, Kim
                    > Melody, Sharlyn Lauby, and Rick Presley. We remain grateful to
                    everyone who
                    > served as coordinator.
                    >
                    > Over the years we have had heaps of praise for the way that trdev
                    was run.
                    > Although the three owners had an equal share of whatever praise we
                    received,
                    > the burden of much of the day-to-day operations of the list was mostly
                    > picked up by Bev. Her care and concern for the unwavering
                    stewardship of the
                    > list and ethical practices of trdev will go down as an exemplar in the
                    > annals of list management. She has given far more time and attention to
                    > managing the list than anyone could have expected. From both Rich
                    and Kobus:
                    > "Thanks, Bev!"
                    >
                    > We also had our share - fair or not, we got it - of negativity and ad
                    > hominem attacks and criticism. It is par for the course, and we have
                    learned
                    > to take the sour with the sweet. Some attacked our stricter positions on
                    > things such as commercial postings and copyright. We believe that our
                    > policies are what kept trdev's ethical profile high and the list
                    free from
                    > partisan interests.
                    >
                    > No doubt you may wonder why we have not opted to simply hand over
                    the list
                    > to a new group of owners and coordinators. We have considered this very
                    > carefully. Whether by default or design, the trdev coordinators have
                    evolved
                    > a unique way of steering and shaping the list. Should a new set of
                    owners
                    > take over, no doubt this sensitive ecology will be disturbed. The
                    chances
                    > that such a change may prove to be toxic is very high. We have more than
                    > just considered it, and have explored a particularly promising
                    avenue with a
                    > respected academic institution. Unfortunately to date this avenue was
                    > unfruitful. Because of personal circumstances among the owners, we
                    cannot
                    > delay the closure any longer.
                    >
                    > What then is next for the loyal trdev subscribers? To that question
                    we can
                    > only say that "trdev is as trdev shall emerge". The internet is big and
                    > still largely free, and although we have immense respect for it, we
                    hold no
                    > property right (intellectual or otherwise) over the trdev franchise. (If
                    > anybody holds such a right, it should be Penn State and Dr David
                    Passmore,

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
                      Hi Fred,

                      recovering a Yahoo list's archives when the list owners have killed it and (apparently) destroyed them would be a very interesting feat and a tremendous precedent (from the point of view of community-owned IP).

                      Do let us know how it goes, or what Yahoo says, please.