Re: [cp] Benchmarks for participation?

  • Roy Greenhalgh
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
      John et al

      For those who wish to explore what network analysis can offer in this
      form of of study, a good starter text is John Scott's "Social Network
      Analysis", 2nd edition, published by Sage in 2000. ISBN 0-7619-6339-1.
      And then if you are really lost for something to do over the New Year,
      go to www.analytictech.com/downloaduc6.htm , //
      download their vsn 6 software and play about with the sample data sets
      also provided. The best guide to using such software is downloaded from
      www.faculty.ucr.edu/~*hanneman*/nettext/ .

      Regards ..

      Roy Greenhalgh

      John D. Smith wrote:
      > Matt,
      >
      > Tracking down that tracer study contact...
      >
      > "Ideally, the flow of information is traced through its networking of
      > chain-like effect from original recipients of information to others in
      > the network or system. The use of snowball sampling is particularly
      > appropriate in tracer studies. Snowball sampling involves the initial
      > sampling of respondents by the probability method but the next level
      > of respondents is obtained from information provided by initial
      > respondents.(Heckathorn, 2002)"
      >

      > Heckathorn, DD. (2002) "Respondent Driven Sampling II: Deriving Valid
      > Estimates from Hidden Populations" Social Problems, 49:11-34
      >
      > John
      > *
      > * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype: smithjd
      > * Portland, Oregon, USA http://www.learningAlliances.net
      > * "Adaptability is the province of critique." — Christopher Kelty

    • pete bond
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 16, 2009
        I hope this will be of interest to everyone facilitating the formation
        of CoPs. 'Creating cultural spaces thro' individual and collective learning'
        is the third chapter in the series on using web 2.0 as a means of
        delivering improved enterprise/system/network/CoP performance. It's
        available at http://knowledgeboard.com

        Chapter 2 covered personal or individual learning and this chapter takes
        the next logical step to consider how it becomes shared and what happens
        when it is. What happens is quite profound, organizations form, but on
        further sharing an organization/CoP may grow or may be destabilised and
        go into terminal decline. The chapter also explores the nature and
        utility of theory. I remember past exchanges here about the value of
        theory, and in this chapter I try to explain why its creation and use,
        in the form of models and Learning tools, is first nature to us humans.

        Chapters 2 and 3, at least for me, follow the path that Lave and Wenger
        first took in making the connection between personal learning,
        particularly situated problem solving, and the formation of communities.
        Chapter 4 will cover community formation and development.

        This is a heavy theoretical chapter which draws on the work of the
        sociologist Anthony Giddens, Max Boisot, and Maturana and Varela,
        amongst others, all names which will be familiar to anyone who has read
        my past postings to com-prac.

        Comments would be very welcome, here or at the knowledgeboard.com.

        Peter Bond
        Learning Futures