Try, try again ...

  • daslebenwill
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2008
      Hello everyone:

      Two years ago, I took the Etienne Wenger/John Smith Foundations of
      Communities of Practice course, specifically to explore helping to
      launch a CoP for people providing services to support the grief and
      recovery of survivors of suicide loss.

      Taking the foundations course was a superb experience for me, and the
      knowledge I gained about the dynamics (and practicalities) of CoPs was
      both helpful and heartening. But my run at launching the CoP I am
      interested in lacked--by far--the strength and sustainment necesary to
      accomplish much, other than to advance the concept of a CoP.
      Yesterday, I reviewed much of the material I developed during the
      course, and I must say, some of the foundational work that was done,
      at least "on paper," looks to me like it might be pretty solid.

      In addition, while I wasn't able to invest the kind of concentrated,
      ongoing work necessary to help launch the CoP two years ago, my work
      in the field since that time led me to substantially broaden and
      deepen my own experience as a practitioner of support services for
      suicide grief, to the point where my capacity for networking and other
      activities related to launching a CoP are stronger than ever. In
      addition, the field itself has grown significantly both in the past
      few years and in the past decade (and was, for all intents and
      piurposes, an entirely new field only 30 years ago). The leadership in
      the field, both organizational and individually, is also right now in
      a very fluid state, which I think might represent very exciting
      opportunities for the launch of a CoP.

      To that end, I contacted Etienne and John recently to let them know I
      was going to "reboot" my explorations, and they recommended to me,
      among several other things, that I join this listserv and see if
      taking part in these discussions might be helpful.

      So here I am.

      Franklin

      Franklin Cook
      Unified Community Solutions