statistical proof of teacher communities

  • naava_frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2008
      I am working with a client who wants to help make the case for CoP
      usnig statitics about how CoP/PLC improve teachers and student
      outcomes. There are so many studies i dont know where to begin. Any
      thoughts?

      Thanks

      Naava
    • Hildy Gottlieb
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2008
        Naava:
        Nice to "see" you!

        No answer to your exact question, but one thing I have found helpful in
        similar situations is using different terms for the CoP - I have found
        that calling it a "Learning Community" or a "Learning Circle" can be
        helpful to some, just in their faster grasping of the value of the group
        / effort.

        Even though it does not have the word "practice" in it, such terms it
        focus on the fact that we are learning from each other's practical
        wisdom. I have just found an easier acceptance in some non-corporate
        circles (the only place I work - non-corporate) for those terms, rather
        than CoP. And as long as the work is the same, and the effects the
        same, the rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

        FWIW,

        Hildy

        Hildy Gottlieb
        *The Community-Driven Institute at **Help 4 NonProfits
        *Making Visionary Change Practical
        http://www.help4nonprofits.com/
        http://www.hildygottlieb.com/
        520-321-4433