CPsquare newsletter: Opening, Talking, Greeting, Meeting, and Reading

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008

      We've moved the CPsquare website and organized it to give people a better
      look into our community and to provide speaking roles to more people more
      easily. (Of course there had to be rehearsals
      <http://learningalliances.net/2008/06/migration-complete/> and bumps
      <http://cpsquare.org/2008/07/ready-to-switch/> along the way.) It's a
      blog-oriented website now, so that current news is front and center:

      Here's the RSS feed that you can subscribe to:

      There is the "friends of CPsquare" email list for our newsletter, you can
      subscribe to every blog posting by email, and you can ask questions here:

      We even have a Twitter feed <http://twitter.com/cpsquare/> ! Have a look at
      Beth Kanter's Twitter <http://bethkanter.wikispaces.com/twitter_primer>

      Currently CPsquare is having a book
      onments-for-educators/> club. The administrivia
      <http://learningalliances.net/2008/08/after-all-the-administrivia/> might
      mask the high quality of the stuff we're reading:

      * Vol 1, Chapter 6 - "Teaching with Technology: A Multifaceted Staff
      Development Strategy" by Tony Carr, Andrew Deacon, Glenda Cox and Andrew
      * Vol 1, Chapter 9 - "Reaching Beyond the 'Boundaries': Communities of
      Practice and Boundaries in Tertiary Education" by Gerlinde Koeglreiter, Ross
      Smith and Luba Torlina
      * Vol 2, Chapter 4 - "Virtual Problem-based Learning Communities of
      Practice for Teachers and Academic Developers: An Irish Higher Education
      Perspective" by Roisin Donnelly

      It's only August and the Fall Research and Dissertation Fest at CPsquare has
      yet to be scheduled but is already looking really exciting with only two PhD
      dissertations. We invite presentations about completed research as well as
      research projects that are in progress.

      * Pamela Stern -- Serious games for first responders: improving design
      and usage with social learning theory
      * Marc Coenders -- Learning Architecture and design: an exploratory
      study of space and learning in work settings and close-to-practice learning

      CPsquare's Show and Tell -- an irregular session about "the states of the
      art" -- started with a video about Rio
      <http://www.riotinto.com/resources/376_video_library_6891.asp> Tinto. We're
      following that up with a topic that's closer to home. Jenny Mackness and
      Karen Guldberg from the Foundations Workshop in January 2008 have done a
      series of in-depth interviews with people involved in the workshop as
      participants, mentors, and leaders. They've presented a paper at an academic
      conference and will be presenting in CPsquare at the beginning September
      1st, covering themes such as emotion, connectivity, understanding norms,
      learning tensions/dualities, technology, and identity. We'll read their
      paper, have some oneline discussion and top it off with a teleconference.
      Everyone who's ever been a Foundations Worskshop is invited to join CPsquare
      members for a good think about these topics and how they can affect design
      for learning in many different settings.

      Connected Futures. We did a lot of experimenting in the design and delivery
      of our new "Connected Futures" workshop last May. There were 10 of us
      involved as leaders and we had 18 people registered as participants.
      (Despite the extraordinarily high "teacher" / "student" ratio the 10 of us
      were completely exhausted at the end!). One remarkable little detail was a
      practice of keeping a Skype chat among those 10 people open for about 6
      weeks running. Any time any of the 10 of us had an observation or a
      question, we turned to the chat. It makes for very interesting reading to
      see a minute-by-minute account of those exchanges.

      Foundations of Communities of Practice Workshop. We're going to offer the
      Foundations workshop again this fall starting on September 15th. Please let
      friends or colleagues know if you think they'd be interested
      <http://cpsquare.org/edu/foundations/> .

      It looks like there is a group of CPsquare folks converging on the AoIR
      <http://conferences.aoir.org/> meeting in Copenhagen, spending the day
      together somewhere on Sunday October 19. In addition to meeting
      face-to-face, several of us are giving papers. I'm doing one with Patricia
      Arnold and Beverly Trayner that takes an autoethnographic
      > approach to community and technology.

      The International <http://cct2009.ist.psu.edu/%20C&T%202009> Communities
      and Technology conference is smack dab in
      801596,-77.862511&spn=4.049378,7.536621&z=7> the middle of Pennsylvania next
      year. It's a high quality conference, so I'm sure there will be CPsquare

      Groundswell <http://www.forrester.com/Groundswell/ladder.html> has an
      interesting typology of participation and related skills in using the
      Internet. It seems to me that it's a story that could be told from a user or
      community's perspective, but they mainly mostly talk about the issues from
      the perspective of marketing and businesses. But the book is recommended
      because they talk about the issues very well.

      You've probably seen CommonCraft's excellent videos on all things geeky. The
      other side of them is that they are thoughtful about how to organize
      <http://www.commoncraft.com/being-lightweight-tools-we-use%20> their
      business effectively.

      Imagine if you'd never seen a video screen without
      <http://www.herecomeseverybody.org/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html> a
      mouse. You would think of the world quite differently.

      * John D. Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype: smithjd ~
      * "Consequently, I rejoice, having to construct something upon which to
      rejoice." - T.S. Eliot