RE: [cp] Re: CoP Evaluation

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 11 12:08 PM
      I just bumped into a blog post that proposes a schedule -- a kind of
      "sufficient unto the time are the cop metrics therof" approach:

      * Phase 1 (0-12 months): New members, pageviews, ratings, comments

      * Phase 2 (12-24 months): UGC, posts/user, visits/user/month, % of active
      members

      * Phase 3 (24 months +): Activity of community leaders, initiatives/ideas
      generated, ROI/value measures

      http://www.thesocialorganization.com/2008/06/do-enterprises-have-the-patienc
      e-to-develop-communities.html (which shortens to: http://bit.ly/cpeval)

      Not as deep as Fred's summary, but an important idea.

      * see http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/
      * “You can't improvise on nothing, man,
      you've gotta improvise on something.” -- Charles Mingus
    • Hildy Gottlieb
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11 3:21 PM
        Jon Ford wrote:

        > It seems too that some folks are just getting to replying (life does
        > that), so I'm also keeping my eyes open for other feedback/input.

        ***************************

        And then there are those who have already weighed in and cannot help but
        return to the scene of the crime!
        :-)

        I came across this blog post, and while it is specifically about the
        desire to measure the effectiveness of social media, I think there is
        much here that relates, including the list the group came up with (near
        the bottom of the post).
        http://thebrandbox.blogspot.com/2008/07/plurkshop-6-measuring-social-media.html

        I hope it's helpful. Have a great weekend, all!

        Hildy

        Hildy Gottlieb
        *The Community-Driven Institute **at Help 4 NonProfits
        *Making Visionary Change Practical
        _http://www.Help4NonProfits.com <http://www.help4nonprofits.com/>
        _/*BLOG:*/ http://www.HildyGottlieb.com/
        Hildy@...
        520-321-4433
        or 1-888-787-4433

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 14 2:47 AM
          Hi all,

          great thread indeed, a nice surprise after holidays...

          My three cents :-):

          - I agree (strongly) that a goals-based evaluation is the only sensible way to evaluate any activity, whatever the nature.
          - Finding indicators for those goals (i.e. objective things that give you a clue about how things are really going) is a bit more difficult than it sounds.
          - Measurements without a baseline are rather meaningless. Do you know where you were when you started? Can you track the effect of other initiatives?

          Back in '06 I wrote this paper for the Knowledgeboard. It's a sort of measurement guidebook, mostly for online communities, based on the methods used to fine-tune Macuarium along the years:

          http://www.macuarium.com/cms/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=169&func=fileinfo&id=447

          It's not complete (lots of ground not covered), and it's not perfect, but it might be useful as a guide into the whys and why-nots of using certain indicators to deduce some things about a CoP. In other words, the measurements may be useful, but the logic will probably be.

          The paper is still at the KBoard, but that requires registration.

          Hope it's useful. Best regards,

          Miguel

          ________________________________
          > It seems too that some folks are just getting to replying (life does
          > that), so I'm also keeping my eyes open for other feedback/input.

          ***************************

          And then there are those who have already weighed in and cannot help but
          return to the scene of the crime!
          :-)

          I came across this blog post, and while it is specifically about the
          desire to measure the effectiveness of social media, I think there is
          much here that relates, including the list the group came up with (near
          the bottom of the post).
          http://thebrandbox.blogspot.com/2008/07/plurkshop-6-measuring-social-media.html

          I hope it's helpful. Have a great weekend, all!

          Hildy

          Hildy Gottlieb
          *The Community-Driven Institute **at Help 4 NonProfits
          *Making Visionary Change Practical
          _http://www.Help4NonProfits.com <http://www.help4nonprofits.com/>
          _/*BLOG:*/ http://www.HildyGottlieb.com/
          Hildy@...<mailto:Hildy%40Help4NonProfits.com>