Re:Tools Wiki

  • Nick Milton
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      Are you assuming all communities of practice will be mediated
      electronically?

      Nick Milton

    • Nancy White
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        From my perspective, NOT AT ALL!!! (All caps to exhibit strong
        intent!) The wiki and the book are about/for the communities that use
        for some part (or all) of their interactions, online tools. But there
        will always be many (x many) communities that existing perfectly well
        without online tools. Interestingly, we've also noticed that more F2F
        communities use these tools because, well, they are useful for some
        of the activities that support their F2F "being together."

        I think the days of online OR offline dichotomy are dwindling. Though
        world oil prices may change that yet again. ;-)

        Nancy

        At 02:00 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
        >Are you assuming all communities of practice will be mediated
        >electronically?
        >

        >Nick Milton

        Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
        nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
        Twitter NancyWhite
        http://www.fullcirc.com/

      • Susan Stewart
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          John, Nancy, and Etienne...

          This is fabulous...I'm glad you made it public!

          I would like to see folks note if a particular example of a tool is
          508 compliant. At this point few web 2.0 tools are accessible to
          those who have disabilities and for many of us, individuals with
          disabilities and those with lower literacy skills are a key part of
          our communities. Noting the level of 508 compliance would help us
          find those gems out there that we can use to create a truly inclusive
          environment for our community.

          But, perhaps my request doesn't meet the intent of this wiki. If so,
          perhaps some folks at com-prac or maybe the folks who've been involved
          with the Web 2.0 accessibility discussion at TechSoup would be willing
          to contribute to a list that could be a spin off (or link off) of this
          wiki.

          How do you want to handle inquiries like..."I don't know what category
          to list VoiceThread under?" (www.voicethread.com)

          Susan

          P.S. Any pub date on the book?
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            In fact it would be nice to mark "this tool is especially helpful for f2f
            communities" where appropriate.

            For one f2f community that I'm a member of, I tried to get them to stop
            schedule haggling by email and use http://www.doodle.ch/main.html ... But I
            got no uptake. To me the value seemed quite obvioius.

            Doodle is an example of a tool that once you get a group using it, nobody
            wants to go back. But as I look at our tools wiki categories it could fit
            in either one of these two, but not easily:

            http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Polling
            http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Calendars

            * http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/ is now open!
            * “The knife disappears with sharpening.” -- James Richardson

            Checked by AVG.
            8:39 AM
          • Nancy White
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              Add a new element to the template! Great idea!

              I think it would also help to share how we DISCOVER how a tool is 508
              compliant - beyond looking on a vendor's spec list. Hints?

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                Susan,

                I've inserted a place-holder in the page template (which unfortunately only
                comes into play when you're creating a page from scratch) for 508
                compliance:

                http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+Descripti
                on+Template

                But it occurs to me that "508 compliance" as a label is very US-centric.
                What kind of language do you use when you're talking about accessibility to
                people with disabilities in an international context?

                I think what this Wiki needs to reflect goes beyond issues of usability at
                an individual level (although it has to start there). It needs to record
                our thinking about accessibility at a SOCIAL level -- across groups, right?

              • eisai@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  Nancy,

                  My daughter, who does web work in 508 compliance, says you can do three things to find out:

                  -- ask the software vendor;

                  -- test the software using handicapped users,

                  -- Search the web to see if anyone other than a vendor has reported that the tool is non-compliant.

                  Regard,s

                  Joe Firestone
                  From: Nancy White <nancyw@...>
                  > Add a new element to the template! Great idea!
                  >
                  > I think it would also help to share how we DISCOVER how a tool is 508
                  > compliant - beyond looking on a vendor's spec list. Hints?

                  > At 07:58 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                  > >I would like to see folks note if a particular example of a tool is
                  > >508 compliant.
                  >

                  > Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
                  > nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
                  > Twitter NancyWhite
                  > http://www.fullcirc.com/

                • Susan Stewart
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                    Absolutely...the social piece is essential!

                    Joe gave some technical ways to assess accessiblity...the ideal is to
                    have individuals with disabilities to test the tool. This is a MUCH
                    better assessment that having an individual who does not have a
                    disability testing the tool with assistive devices as we tend to
                    overlook issues because we can depend on cues that those with
                    disabilities cannot use. Since there are many different types of
                    accessibility issues it can be challenging to assess any tool
                    thoroughly...often it's not a simple yes/no answer...that's why I like
                    this forum for collecting a broad spectrum of perspectives on the
                    accessibility of tools.

                    Here's an example...I am a fan of the VoiceThread and I love the fact
                    that folks can use images, voice, video, and text. However, this
                    tool cannot be interpreted by a screen reader. And, for an individual
                    who is deaf, only a portion of the content is accessible. I have
                    transcribed the content of the audio portions of the contributions to
                    the voicethread, but that can cumbersome and time-consuming if there
                    are many contributions. On the other hand, the fact that the tool
                    allows video, voice, and images makes the tool more accessible for
                    folks with low literacy levels. I know that the developers are
                    looking at the accessibility of the tool for individuals with
                    disabilities but aren't there yet.

                    So sometimes we can look at a tool and see that it isn't accessible
                    for some groups, but many times it requires testing.
                  • Susan Stewart
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                      Regarding, 508 compliance being US-centric, I must admit that I am not
                      knowledgeable about how other countries are dealing with this
                      challenge and what language they use to talk about it. One question
                      that *might* be helpful is "what web 2.0 tools are accessible to
                      people who have disabilities, including those who use assistive
                      devices to access internet-based tools?" I'd really like to hear from
                      our colleagues from other countries on this matter.
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                        Thanks, Susan,

                        I listen in on another community -- technology folks at Calstate University
                        -- who are very involved in those issues and might help with
                        "internationalizing" the terminology. I'll ask them.

                        I think the issue deserves a page called "tool accessibility" although this
                        is a highly professionalized area of knowledge that I know of but know
                        practically nothing about.

                        * http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/ is now open!
                        * “The knife disappears with sharpening.” -- James Richardson

                        Checked by AVG.
                        8:02 AM