Re: [cp] Tools Wiki

  • Nancy White
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2008
      Listserv is actually a trademarked name - smile, so we have email lists
      http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Email+Lists

      At 12:56 PM 4/30/2008, you wrote:
      >John:
      >Any reason "listservs" are not included in the list? (Especially as the
      >wiki was actually announced on this one!)
      >:-)
      >

      >Hildy
      >
      >Hildy Gottlieb
      >*The Community-Driven Institute at **Help 4 NonProfits
      >*Making Visionary Change Practical
      >http://www.help4nonprofits.com/
      >http://www.hildygottlieb.com/
      >520-321-4433
      >1-888-787-4433
      >Hildy@...

      Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
      nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
      Twitter NancyWhite
      http://www.fullcirc.com/

    • Nick Milton
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Are you assuming all communities of practice will be mediated
        electronically?

        Nick Milton

      • Nancy White
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          From my perspective, NOT AT ALL!!! (All caps to exhibit strong
          intent!) The wiki and the book are about/for the communities that use
          for some part (or all) of their interactions, online tools. But there
          will always be many (x many) communities that existing perfectly well
          without online tools. Interestingly, we've also noticed that more F2F
          communities use these tools because, well, they are useful for some
          of the activities that support their F2F "being together."

          I think the days of online OR offline dichotomy are dwindling. Though
          world oil prices may change that yet again. ;-)

          Nancy

          At 02:00 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
          >Are you assuming all communities of practice will be mediated
          >electronically?
          >

          >Nick Milton

          Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
          nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
          Twitter NancyWhite
          http://www.fullcirc.com/

        • Susan Stewart
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            John, Nancy, and Etienne...

            This is fabulous...I'm glad you made it public!

            I would like to see folks note if a particular example of a tool is
            508 compliant. At this point few web 2.0 tools are accessible to
            those who have disabilities and for many of us, individuals with
            disabilities and those with lower literacy skills are a key part of
            our communities. Noting the level of 508 compliance would help us
            find those gems out there that we can use to create a truly inclusive
            environment for our community.

            But, perhaps my request doesn't meet the intent of this wiki. If so,
            perhaps some folks at com-prac or maybe the folks who've been involved
            with the Web 2.0 accessibility discussion at TechSoup would be willing
            to contribute to a list that could be a spin off (or link off) of this
            wiki.

            How do you want to handle inquiries like..."I don't know what category
            to list VoiceThread under?" (www.voicethread.com)

            Susan

            P.S. Any pub date on the book?
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              In fact it would be nice to mark "this tool is especially helpful for f2f
              communities" where appropriate.

              For one f2f community that I'm a member of, I tried to get them to stop
              schedule haggling by email and use http://www.doodle.ch/main.html ... But I
              got no uptake. To me the value seemed quite obvioius.

              Doodle is an example of a tool that once you get a group using it, nobody
              wants to go back. But as I look at our tools wiki categories it could fit
              in either one of these two, but not easily:

              http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Polling
              http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Calendars

              * http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/ is now open!
              * “The knife disappears with sharpening.” -- James Richardson

              Checked by AVG.
              8:39 AM
            • Nancy White
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                Add a new element to the template! Great idea!

                I think it would also help to share how we DISCOVER how a tool is 508
                compliant - beyond looking on a vendor's spec list. Hints?

                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  Susan,

                  I've inserted a place-holder in the page template (which unfortunately only
                  comes into play when you're creating a page from scratch) for 508
                  compliance:

                  http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+Descripti
                  on+Template

                  But it occurs to me that "508 compliance" as a label is very US-centric.
                  What kind of language do you use when you're talking about accessibility to
                  people with disabilities in an international context?

                  I think what this Wiki needs to reflect goes beyond issues of usability at
                  an individual level (although it has to start there). It needs to record
                  our thinking about accessibility at a SOCIAL level -- across groups, right?

                • eisai@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                    Nancy,

                    My daughter, who does web work in 508 compliance, says you can do three things to find out:

                    -- ask the software vendor;

                    -- test the software using handicapped users,

                    -- Search the web to see if anyone other than a vendor has reported that the tool is non-compliant.

                    Regard,s

                    Joe Firestone
                    From: Nancy White <nancyw@...>
                    > Add a new element to the template! Great idea!
                    >
                    > I think it would also help to share how we DISCOVER how a tool is 508
                    > compliant - beyond looking on a vendor's spec list. Hints?

                    > At 07:58 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                    > >I would like to see folks note if a particular example of a tool is
                    > >508 compliant.
                    >

                    > Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
                    > nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
                    > Twitter NancyWhite
                    > http://www.fullcirc.com/

                  • Susan Stewart
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                      Absolutely...the social piece is essential!

                      Joe gave some technical ways to assess accessiblity...the ideal is to
                      have individuals with disabilities to test the tool. This is a MUCH
                      better assessment that having an individual who does not have a
                      disability testing the tool with assistive devices as we tend to
                      overlook issues because we can depend on cues that those with
                      disabilities cannot use. Since there are many different types of
                      accessibility issues it can be challenging to assess any tool
                      thoroughly...often it's not a simple yes/no answer...that's why I like
                      this forum for collecting a broad spectrum of perspectives on the
                      accessibility of tools.

                      Here's an example...I am a fan of the VoiceThread and I love the fact
                      that folks can use images, voice, video, and text. However, this
                      tool cannot be interpreted by a screen reader. And, for an individual
                      who is deaf, only a portion of the content is accessible. I have
                      transcribed the content of the audio portions of the contributions to
                      the voicethread, but that can cumbersome and time-consuming if there
                      are many contributions. On the other hand, the fact that the tool
                      allows video, voice, and images makes the tool more accessible for
                      folks with low literacy levels. I know that the developers are
                      looking at the accessibility of the tool for individuals with
                      disabilities but aren't there yet.

                      So sometimes we can look at a tool and see that it isn't accessible
                      for some groups, but many times it requires testing.
                    • Susan Stewart
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                        Regarding, 508 compliance being US-centric, I must admit that I am not
                        knowledgeable about how other countries are dealing with this
                        challenge and what language they use to talk about it. One question
                        that *might* be helpful is "what web 2.0 tools are accessible to
                        people who have disabilities, including those who use assistive
                        devices to access internet-based tools?" I'd really like to hear from
                        our colleagues from other countries on this matter.
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                          Thanks, Susan,

                          I listen in on another community -- technology folks at Calstate University
                          -- who are very involved in those issues and might help with
                          "internationalizing" the terminology. I'll ask them.

                          I think the issue deserves a page called "tool accessibility" although this
                          is a highly professionalized area of knowledge that I know of but know
                          practically nothing about.

                          * http://technologyforcommunities.com/tools/ is now open!
                          * “The knife disappears with sharpening.” -- James Richardson

                          Checked by AVG.
                          8:02 AM