[cp] Online social networking services and online communities of practice: closely related

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2008
      Hello,

      seeing Megan's event I couldn't help posting this :-).

      Following some conversations with another com-prac member who sees those
      "social networking" things as more of a fad and less of a practical
      thing, I've been trying to explain why I think they're in fact a
      parasite (or a symbiont ;-)) of online communities, and especially of
      communities of practice. Indeed most of their characteristics are
      already embedded in online CoPs... and the differences can be used to
      build something useful:

      http://emekaeme.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/rethinking-social-networks-ii-t
      he-community-core/

      Criticism, opinions, and different experiences much appreciated, either
      here or at the blog :-).