Happening Right Now: TechSoup's free online event Tues. Mar. 25th: Images of Social Change: Online Photo Sharing for your Nonprofit

  • Megan Keane
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2008
      We've got some great discussions going on about photo sharing-I know I'm
      itching to try the Flickr application recommendation that was made! Come
      join the discussion-this event is asynchronous (not live) and no
      registration is needed, just show up and post away:
      http://www.techsoup.org/go/flickrevent The discussions will continue and
      be up on site when event is over, so never fear if you're chiming in
      later on.

      Best,

      Megan

      Megan Keane

      Online Community Manager, TechSoup

      435 Brannan St., Suite 100

      San Francisco, CA 94107

      Voice: 415-633-9474

      Email: megan@...

      ***************************

      Mark your calendars for TechSoup's free one-day online event Tues. Mar.
      25th: Images of Social Change: Online Photo Sharing for your Nonprofit
      in the TechSoup Forums.

      Join nonprofit consultant and blogger, Beth Kanter, and Heather Champ,
      Community Manager for Flickr, as they explore how to make the most of
      Flickr and other photo-sharing and editing webtools for your
      organization. The event will cover the benefits of creatively displaying
      your nonprofit organizations' work in images. We will provide tips for
      organizing and managing your photos. In addition, we'll give case
      studies of innovative and creative ways nonprofits are using Flickr to
      further their missions.

      Come take part in TechSoup's free, one-day online event, Tuesday Mar. 25
      in the TechSoup Emerging Technologies Forum
      <http://www.techsoup.org/go/flickrevent> as we discuss issues such as:

      * Benefits of using online photo sharing sites to build community and
      awareness for your cause

      * Copyright and privacy guidelines for sharing photos

      * How to easily upload and manage your photos

      * Tips and tricks for most effectively taking photos and displaying
      images

      * Favorite Flickr add-on applications to enhance your use of Flickr

      Join us Tues. Mar. 25 in the TechSoup Emerging Technologies Forum <
      http://www.techsoup.org/go/flickrevent> as we explore these topics and
      more.

      This event is asynchronous (not live). No registration is required, just
      show up and post!

      If you have any questions about the event, please email:
      community@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2008
        Hello,

        seeing Megan's event I couldn't help posting this :-).

        Following some conversations with another com-prac member who sees those
        "social networking" things as more of a fad and less of a practical
        thing, I've been trying to explain why I think they're in fact a
        parasite (or a symbiont ;-)) of online communities, and especially of
        communities of practice. Indeed most of their characteristics are
        already embedded in online CoPs... and the differences can be used to
        build something useful:

        http://emekaeme.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/rethinking-social-networks-ii-t
        he-community-core/

        Criticism, opinions, and different experiences much appreciated, either
        here or at the blog :-).

        Email: megan@... <mailto:megan%40techsoup.org>

        community@... <mailto:community%40techsoup.org>