Re: [cp] Top 10 elements of a community member 'profile'

  • pete bond
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
      Hi Lauren, This is one approach I use. It would work best in a
      collaborative space like sossoon.net which has a graphical means of
      matching profiles. For info on sossoon see my reply to John's
      'technology question'.

      I consider profiling as a tool for developing mutually beneficial
      relationships. It is also to do with identifying people who could be
      part of your system (web of relationships/network) for effecting changes
      within or outside of the group, or for proving problems or creating
      solutions.

      The approach I use is based on an idea I came across in a book about
      technology management by a guy called Lowell Steele (1990?). This was
      originally about how to develop successful commercial trading
      relationships by establishing credibility in the eyes and heart of the
      buyer. A relationship is formed when what the buyer values corresponds
      to what the seller is conceived to be able to offer.

      The same approach applies whether one is selling ideas, or products and
      services. Essentially it is about selling solutions, which is very
      pertinent to CoPs. To put it another way, what we refer to as selling is
      about encouraging, convincing, persuading, creating a desire or
      incentive, or in other ways
      influencing, a prospective 'buyer' to invest their time, their energy,
      their resources into taking
      your solution and implementing it in the expectation that the benefits
      will outweigh their costs.
      Success depends on creating, in the mind and hearts of prospective
      buyers, two kinds
      of credibility. These are: Technical Credibility and Safety Credibility.

      My profiling questions are designed to give members the opportunity of
      locating others with similar values and the right kind of technical
      knowledge/experience, which gives the best chance of gaining the two
      kinds of credibility. The first dimension uses describing words based on
      the DISC personality profiling method.

      Dimension 1 (concerns Safety Cred). What personal characteristics do you
      value in
      others? (or Choose the words which best describe yourself.)

      Select (a certain number) from the list below.

      competitiveness
      drive
      audacity
      directness
      pioneering spirit
      strategic awareness................and so on.

      Dimension 2 (also safety cred). Which social cares and interests do you
      value?

      Select (a certain number) from the list below.

      sports
      family
      church/religion
      community engagement
      neighbourhood development
      volunteering and charitable work
      travel
      philosophy.............................and so on.

      Dimension 3 (Technical Credibility) (This list should be adapted
      according to the technical nature of the problems CoP exist to resolve).

      What knowledge, skill, competence, experience (professional, industrial,
      technical, artistic) are you looking for? Or , what knowledge skills,
      etc do you have to offer?

      Select ( a specific number) from the following list (for general
      business networking).

      directing and leading
      managing-big company
      managing-small company
      accountancy
      company and related law
      financial investment
      banking
      business partnering and alliance building...........

      Peter
    • Jim Bert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
        You are absolutely focused in the right area as you build out your community profile. The answer to your question though can depend a lot on the type of community you will be running. The profile questions should be focused around the interests of your members; for a few reasons including being able to connect with others with similar social and/or business interests.

      • Hildy Gottlieb
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
          Lauren Klein wrote:

          > I'm building out a new community member profile and thought I'd ask
          > for your input on the top ten desired elements that other experts have
          > found the useful data elements to consider. For example, name,
          > physical location, company name, role in your organization, current
          > challenges, areas of interest, areas of expertise, etc.

          ******************************

          Lauren:
          I am assuming this work is for a particular group. If not, please
          ignore what I am about to say.
          :-)

          My general approach is to ask the group what THEY think is important.
          Then if you have other suggestions (such as those you listed above, or
          those suggested by other Com-Prac'er's here), you can run those ideas by
          the group, to see if that is what is important to them.

          I always figure that tools such as these are more effective when created
          not "for" the group but "with" the group. In that way, the group owns
          the product, and is far more likely to use it and maintain it. (I also
          find these sorts of exercises build bonds within the group, which is
          frequently an important reinforcement, depending on what stage of
          development the group is at.)

          I hope that's helpful.

          Hildy

          Hildy Gottlieb
          *The Community-Driven Institute **at Help 4 NonProfits
          *Changing the World / Creating the Future
          _http://www.Help4NonProfits.com <http://www.help4nonprofits.com/>
          _/*BLOG:*/ http://www.HildyGottlieb.com/
          Hildy@...
          520-321-4433
          or 1-888-787-4433

        • Stan Garfield
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
            TO: Lauren Klein

            For the internal KM community at HP, we asked people to supply the
            following in their profiles:

            * Name
            * Location
            * Time in KM
            * Time with the company
            * Organization
            * Personal background and interests
            * Area of expertise
            * Current responsibility
            * What do you consider your greatest success?
            * Name one thing that you would like to achieve?

            For the external KM community I lead, I ask for the following:

            "When requesting membership, please provide your name, location,
            organization, role, and links to your organization's web site and your
            personal blog (if any)."

            Regards,
            Stan