Free or good value/low cost teleconference services?

  • alicemacgillivray
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28 2:33 PM
      I've been using HighSpeed Conferencing (highspeedconferencing.com),
      for a range of community start-up events, largely because of Skype
      compatibility. I got a note from them that they are instituting a
      somewhat hefty annual pricing plan. I've not heard back from them
      about whether this is for a basic level of service, or when it kicks in.

      Can anyone recommend another option or clarify what the change for
      HighSpeed Conferencing is if you've had a response? In case it
      matters, I am in Canada, and usually working with Canadians and
      Americans; sometimes with people in South America, Australia, Hong
      Kong, etc.

      Thanks!
      Alice
    • Seth Kahan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28 2:52 PM
        Alice,

        I use www.accuconference.com

        I set up everything over the web, their interface is intuitive for me, I
        record many of my calls and the recording is immediately available after the
        call for download.

        Their customer service has been outstanding

        I don't know what "low cost" is for you; I get charged 4.9c per minute per
        caller

        Best,

        Seth

        --
        Seth Kahan
        President

        Seth@...
        www.SethKahan.com

        Accelerating the Adoption of Strategic Change through Participation and
        Engagement
        Executive Strategy Consultant

          Seth@... <mailto:Seth%40SethKahan.com>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
            A couple of months ago there was a brief discussion about low cost
            teleconferences where highspeedconferencing.com and
            www.accuconference.com were mentioned.

            My experience of having a conference room with
            highspeedconferencing.com in Portugal is that the conference rooms are
            not always reliable i.e three times out of ten I am told the
            conference room number is wrong. The same happens when someone else
            phones to my bridge from Portugal.

            I've exchanged many emails with the support group about this but we
            haven't discovered the cause - they say it is something to do with the
            carrier, but I'm not convinced. In the meantime it works with Skype
            and it works from a mobile phone and only sometimes it works from a
            landline.

            I'm wondering if someone knows a low cost teleconference service in
            Europe? Or if someone else has had the same problem I'm having and if
            they found out the reason.

            Cheers
            Bev

            Beverly Trayner
            Eudaimonia, Unipessoal Lda
            Setúbal, Portugal

            Webpage: http://www.eudaimonia.pt
            Blog: http://phronesis.typepad.com

            --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Seth Kahan" <Seth@...> wrote:

            > Here's accuconference's international rates:

            http://www.accuconference.com/conferencecalls/internationalconferencecalling
            > .html
            >

            > --
            > Seth Kahan
            > President
            > Performance Development Group, Inc.
            > Box 380, Glen Echo, MD 20816
            > V: 301/229-2221
            > F: 301/229-6661
            >

            > Seth@...
            > www.SethKahan.com

            > Accelerating the Adoption of Strategic Change through Participation and
            > Engagement
            > Executive Strategy Consultant

            Behalf
            > Of Seth Kahan
            > Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:53 PM
            > To: com-prac@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: [cp] Free or good value/low cost teleconference services?
            >

            > Alice,
            >
            > I use www.accuconference.com
            >
            > I set up everything over the web, their interface is intuitive for me, I
            > record many of my calls and the recording is immediately available
            after the
            > call for download.
            >
            > Their customer service has been outstanding
            >
            > I don't know what "low cost" is for you; I get charged 4.9c per
            minute per
            > caller
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Seth
            >
            > --
            > Seth Kahan
            > President
            > Performance Development Group, Inc.
            > Box 380, Glen Echo, MD 20816
            > V: 301/229-2221
            > F: 301/229-6661
            >
            > Seth@... <mailto:Seth%40SethKahan.com>
            > www.SethKahan.com

            > Accelerating the Adoption of Strategic Change through Participation and
            > Engagement
            > Executive Strategy Consultant
            >
            > From: com-prac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>
            > [mailto:com-prac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>
            ] On
            > Behalf
            > Of alicemacgillivray
            > Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:33 PM
            > To: com-prac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [cp] Free or good value/low cost teleconference services?
            >
            > I've been using HighSpeed Conferencing (highspeedconferencing.com),
            > for a range of community start-up events, largely because of Skype
            > compatibility. I got a note from them that they are instituting a
            > somewhat hefty annual pricing plan. I've not heard back from them
            > about whether this is for a basic level of service, or when it kicks in.
            >
            > Can anyone recommend another option or clarify what the change for
            > HighSpeed Conferencing is if you've had a response? In case it
            > matters, I am in Canada, and usually working with Canadians and
            > Americans; sometimes with people in South America, Australia, Hong
            > Kong, etc.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Alice

          • Gabriela Avram
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
              I've done my research few months ago and the results are here:
              http://coniecto.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html#1770501149578297828

              In the mean time, I discovered a great service (although it is not free!)
              offered by a company in Dublin:
              http://www.onlinemeetingrooms.com/index.php?page=press-and-media
              Watch the short tutorials to get an idea of the features!

              They're working on their rates to make the affordable to academia and NGOs.
              We've used standard webcams and microphones and the quality was exceptional!

              Kind regards,
              Gabriela
              --
              dr.Gabriela Avram
              Interaction Design Center

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
                I sent this message a while ago, but don't see it on the list. Sorry,
                if it's coming twice...

                ******

                Thanks, Gabriela

                I'm now experimenting with Intercall, based in London:
                https://www.intercall.com/

                My objective is to find something that includes those people who can't
                use the Internet to participate in a phone call. So it has to be a
                service that some people use only via the telephone.

                My experience with Intercall so far is very helpful human service. I
                have a support person who phones me up to check I know how to do
                everything and there is easy access to a (human) support operator
                during the call for all call participants. I haven't had the bill yet,
                but I think it's going to be expensive.

                I'd like to find something less expensive - like
                highspeedconferencing.com (which is free if you ring in from skype) -
                but which is reliable for me hosting calls in PT and which has
                toll-free or local numbers from Portugal

                --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Gabriela Avram" <gabriela.avram@...>
                wrote:

                > I've done my research few months ago and the results are here:
                > http://coniecto.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html#1770501149578297828
                >
                > In the mean time, I discovered a great service (although it is not
                free!)
                > offered by a company in Dublin:
                > http://www.onlinemeetingrooms.com/index.php?page=press-and-media
                > Watch the short tutorials to get an idea of the features!
                >
                > They're working on their rates to make the affordable to academia
                and NGOs.
                > We've used standard webcams and microphones and the quality was
                exceptional!

                > Kind regards,
                > Gabriela
                > --
                > dr.Gabriela Avram
                > Interaction Design Center
                > University of Limerick
                > Ireland
                > web: http://www.idc.ul.ie
                > http://www.gabriela.avram.go.ro
                > blogs: http://coniecto.blogspot.com
                > http://gabrielia.blogspot.com
                > emails: gabriela.avram@...
                > gabriela.avram@...
                > mob.:+353 85 1300355
                > tel: +35361202798
                > fax: +35361213484
                >
                > > Free or good value/low cost teleconference services in Europe?

                Posted