Re: [cp] request for advice: prioritizing knowledge sharing tools for a new CoP

  • pete bond
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi Miguel/Lynn, About the platform. Those I mentioned (and there seems
      to be new ones emerging at regular intervals) have all the
      functionality of the individual tools, (blogs, wikis, forum, searchable
      K repositories) but in one manageable space, so I would call these these
      polytechnical in nature. It is the nature of polytechnical systems to be
      more flexible than a set of individual tools. Just sign up to ning.com
      and find out.

      They do allow the sponsor to have, at least potentially, a great deal
      of influence over the direction of conversation, this allows channeling
      toward a topic. Although platforms such as ning are plugging into the
      so-called social networking, that internet enabled phenomenon, they are
      not all inclined to do so. What we appear to be witnessing is the
      emergence of some serious professional networking tools, and thus
      serious CoP development tools, particularly in the form of extended or
      extra, or supplementary, or substitutions for, corporate intranets. They
      will develop into professional network/community management tools,
      incorporating, for example, member surveying, graphical presentation of
      networks, profile matching in pursuit of both incremental and radical
      solution making (if you want radical, contact the people least like your
      own profile and see what sparks off).

      I remember John Maloney (KM Cluster/colabria) saying here that social
      networking tools would be the technology of the decade, well the
      decade's not over yet.

      But again I would emphasise these things are only tools, you have to
      learn to use them effectively. That means also knowing the theory behind
      networking and (real) community building.

      pete