[com-prac] Meg Corcoran finally joins...

  • meg_corcoran@hp.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999
      Hi!

      At long last I have overcome my technical problems - actually user error in
      how my proxy was set - and I have signed up.

      As requested, here's my brief bio:

      I work as a Knowledge Consultant in HP, specifically in the HP Consulting
      organization (HPC). I am part of the Consultants'Knowledge Group within HPC,
      and our role is to help design and implement knowledge management processes and
      tools for use within HPC. We do not do any external KM consulting.

      I work out of my home 3 days per week, and the rest of my time I spend chasing
      around after my two boys, ages 7 and 10, and trying to keep up with their
      school work, Cub Scout activities, (and breaking up brotherly fights - my most
      common parenting chore.)

      We live in the Chicago area, where we just had our first snowfall of the year -
      this is the latest first snowfall on record, the prior record was in NOvember,
      I think, so how about that global warming?

      We have a Portuguese Water Dog, if anyone likes to know about pets. My boys
      and I love him, my husband is neutral but tolerates him. He (the dog) spends
      his days keeping my feet warm under my desk, so he's a great companion and
      helps overcome the big drawback of working out of my own home, loneliness.

      I rarely travel, most of my work is done by phone and email.

      One of my key roles within HPC is to help create and evolve the concept we have
      of Learning Communities, similar if not the same to the Communities of Practice
      concept.

      My goal in joining this forum is to be able to have dialogue with others in
      other companies so that I can get an idea how others do it, and can get some
      fresh ideas about what we could do to foster or structure or nurture CoPs
      within HPC.

      Plus, I enjoyed the dialogue started at the conference in October, so I was
      hoping to continue the relationships. I find it hard to start without that
      face to face contact initially, so having had that in Florida, I thought this
      would be a good opportunity to continue the contacts.

      That's it for me. I look forward to this forum.

      -meg.