economic value

  • bob van limburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      To start with: a happy 2007 for everone!

      I have a problem: I want to write a paper on the
      economic value of storytelling, but do not know how to
      start.

      Anyone has an idea?

      At this moment I am working at a PhD in tourism
      management, but its empahsis lies on CoP and knowledge
      mangament. It is hard to get those papers accepted
      (double refereed). Anyone can tell me some good
      journals to send my mpapers to? I would, further, put
      my papers online and ask your opinion. Is this a place
      to do so?

      Cheers,

      Bob, Netherlands

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dave Snowden
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        You probably need to clarify the subject a bit before help can be
        offered!
        Lets look at options:

        * storytelling for communication
        * capturing material as "told stories" for expert analysis/
        deconstruction
        * mass capture of self tagged material from markets/employees
        * anecdote based knowledge repositories
        * weak signal detection and impact measurement
        * metaphor based environments

        I could go on - this is a big field and a lot of us working in it do
        not like the "story telling" label. There are also very distinct
        schools or approaches now emerging
        Give me a better idea of what you are interested in and happy to help
        out. The field also determines which journals would be appropriate

        Dave Snowden
        Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
        Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

        snowded@...
        Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com
        Skype: snowded

        UK mobile+44 7795 437 293

        Rowan Cottage
        51 Lockeridge
        Marlborough
        SN8 4EL
        United Kingdom

        On 1 Jan 2007, at 20:45, bob van limburg wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > To start with: a happy 2007 for everone!
        >
        > I have a problem: I want to write a paper on the
        > economic value of storytelling, but do not know how to
        > start.
        >
        > Anyone has an idea?
        >
        > At this moment I am working at a PhD in tourism
        > management, but its empahsis lies on CoP and knowledge
        > mangament. It is hard to get those papers accepted
        > (double refereed). Anyone can tell me some good
        > journals to send my mpapers to? I would, further, put
        > my papers online and ask your opinion. Is this a place
        > to do so?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bob, Netherlands

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Steve Denning
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi Bob,

          These issues are discussed at the end of chapter 1 of my book, The Leader's
          Guide to Storytelling.

          Asking for the economic value of storytelling is a bit like asking for the
          economic value of language. Since (on a common language definition of
          "story") without it, no business or any other economic activity would be
          possible, one might conclude that its economic value is infinite. Deirdre
          McCloskey's study showing that persuasion is 28% of GDP sheds some light on
          this kind of argument (American Economic Review, 1995).

          As Dave says, it would be useful to narrow down your questions a bit.

          In terms of what are questions that would actually be of interest to
          practitioners, studies that set out to prove that storytelling does work, or
          that storytelling is widely used, or that show why storytelling works, are
          probably of less interest these days than studies that look at "what works?"
          when it comes to change, leadership and innovation, etc and compares
          storytelling to other methods of getting things done. The Martin/Power and
          LaClair/Rao studies in the list below are examples of this type of study, of
          which there aren't many.

          Comparing different types of story in terms of effectiveness would also be
          very interesting.

          Practitioners thus are less interested in studies that amount to
          "cheerleading for storytelling", with the converted preaching to the
          converted, and encouraging each other with heart-warming stories of success
          in the use of story. Practitioners are more interested in a hard-headed
          examination of "what actually works in practice to get something done?" Why
          doesn't storytelling always work? What are the conditions that enable it to
          work? When is storytelling counterproductive? (By analogy, for example,
          teams often work, but not always. Why not? What are the conditions that
          enable teamwork to work? That kind of research is more useful than research
          aimed at showing "aren't teams great!" or "aren't teams prevalent!" or "let
          me tell you one more time why teams are great!")

          You might also examine the use of storytelling to achieve different kinds of
          purposes such as transmit values, get collaboration, tame the grapevine,
          share knowledge, and branding and marketing, as discussed for example in The
          Leader's Guide to Storytelling.

          References you might want to look at include:

          Borgida, E. and R.E. Nisbett, The Differential Impact of Abstract vs
          Concrete Information on Decisions. Journal of Applied Technology, 1977. 7(3:
          258-271).

          Conger, J.A., Inspiring others: The language of leadership. The Executive.,
          1991. 5(1): 31-45.

          LaClair, J.A. and R.P. Rao, Helping Employees Embrace Change. The McKinsey
          Quarterly, 2002 (Number 4.).

          Martin, J. and M.E. Power, Organizational Stories: More Vivid and Persuasive
          Than Quantitative Data, in Psychological Foundations of Organizational
          Behavior edited by B.M.Staw. 1982, Glenview Ill.: Scott, Foresman.

          Wilkens, A.L., Organizational Stories as Symbols Which Control The
          Organization, in Organizational Symbolism edited by L.R.Pondy,P.J.Frost,
          G.Morgan and T.C.Dandridge. 1983, Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press.

          Zemke, R., Storytelling: Back to Basics. Training, 1990(March: 44-50).

          Branding books that look at the role of about storytelling include

          Levine, R., et al., The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business As Usual.
          2000, Cambridge MA: Perseus Publishing.

          Vincent, L., Legendary Brands: unleashing the power of storytelling to
          created a winning market strategy. 2002, Chicago: Dearborn Trade Publishing.

          Mark, M. and C. Pearson, The Hero and the Outlaw: Harnessing the Power of
          Archetypes to Create a Winning Brand. 2002, NY: McGraw-Hill.

          Douglas Holt, The Brand as Icon. 2005 Oxford.

          Best
          Steve

          Steve Denning
          Discover the discipline of business narrative
          and sign up for my newsletter at <http://www.stevedenning.com/>
          http://www.stevedenning.com
          Email: <mailto:steve@...> steve@...
          Phone: 202 966 9392
          Fax: 202 686 0591

        • Steve Denning
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
            Bob,

            One other way of exploring the economic value of storytelling is to link up
            with other practitioners in the field. One opportunity to do this is the
            annual conference on organizational storytelling in Washington DC. People
            come from aournd to world to to learn, to share experiences, meet other
            practitioners and find out what's new in this exciting field.

            This year, the weekend will be on Friday-Saturday May 4-5, 2007.

            1. SMITHSONIAN: STORYTELLING AND CONVERSATIONS

            Bookings are now being accepted for the Smithsonian storytelling day on
            Friday May 4, 2007 at:

            <http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNum
            ber=81217>
            http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumb
            er=81217
            The website also has more details of Friday program.

            The theme this year is STORYTELLING AND CONVERSATIONS.

            The speakers, in addition to myself, will be:
            Larry Prusak, founder and former executive director of IBM's Institute for
            Knowledge Management and distinguished scholar in residence, Babson College

            Ken Gergen, senior research professor, Swarthmore College, and director of
            the Taos Institute, and Mary Gergen, professor emeritus, psychology and
            women's studies, Pennsylvania State University

            Nancy Dixon, president, Common Knowledge Associates

            Madelyn Blair, founder and president of Pelerei Inc.

            The registration fee is a very reasonable US $98.

            The event will take place as usual at the S. Dillon Ripley Center, Education
            Center, 1100 Jefferson Drive, SW, Washington DC.

            2. GOLDEN FLEECE DAY -- SATURDAY MAY 5, 2007

            Details of the events for the next day -- the Golden Fleece day on Saturday
            May 5, 2007 -- will be available shortly at <http://www.storyatwork.com/>
            http://www.storyatwork.com/. This is a more diverse event featuring a wide
            variety of different approaches to the subject.

            Hope to see you there.