Re: [cp] Re: New Member - community start-up

  • Pete Bond
    Message 1 of 91 , Oct 31, 2006
      Dave, Should we welcome you on-board or have you been lurking all this time?
      If you are new then you might find the archives of interest. The 'complexity
      viewpoint' on CoP has been aired on many occasions.
      --
      peter
    • Gerrit Wissing
      Message 91 of 91 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi

        Maybe if one exchanges "spontaneous" with "intentional", the two sides to
        this conversation will become clearer. the argument then would be that some
        communities arise unintentionally. Of course there are people forming the
        community. But not with the intention of forming a community. They're just
        standing around drinking coffee, chatting about stuff that happens in the
        office. Then there are communities that are formed deliberately, with a
        definite focus and structure,

        Whatever the case, when it starts, it's not a community (yet). Community
        requires a certain "fellowship", which is not present at inception - it
        evolves over time, again intentionally or unintentionally - and may
        ultimately decline (yes, again intentionally or unintentionally)

        From what I've read here, both forms, and variations thereof have been
        witnessed. I think to move forward, we shouldn't have absolutist
        (either...or) views - it won't suffice to fully describe the phenomenon. A
        "both...and" view will serve us better in understanding & describing the
        phenomenon.

        I think

        Gerrit

        _____