Re: community stability - learning, managing and leading

  • Macuarium
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
      Hi Richard,

      thanks indeed for the praise :-). But I wasn't writing about myself there.

      That line was written thinking about people (of whom I know a few) who
      have been writing guides and manuals for technical support CoPs, and
      then managers take weeks to publish them and never acknowledge their
      importance as both tools for members, and magnets for new members...
      and sometimes even as viral marketing tools. Or who push to knit a
      network inside a company and never get any official thanks for it. Or
      people who used to write frequently at the Knowledgeboard (for
      instance), never got any recognition from the managers, and now refuse
      to have anything to do with it. It's quite frequent to see this, for
      banal reasons such as lack of time, or for worse reasons.

      I don't actually think about those papers as a contribution to
      com-prac but as a form of self-expression (and thinking aloud with
      others) which com-prac allows me to share; having people read and
      comment them is a great experience.

      So I'm actually quite happy with the recognition I get here. They even
      take my comments seriously when I criticize some of the experts in the
      list :-).

      Thanks again. And best regards,

      Miguel

      --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Brehler"
      <Richard.Brehler@...> wrote:

      > from an "honorable lurker" (or so I like to think)...
      >
      > It is indeed an honor to be able to listen in on these conversations,
      > and I want to express my thanks to Miguel for sharing his Revisiting
      > Communities of Practice with us all. Miguel's statement in part IV
      > (Stakeholders, Leadership and Survival") of his Revisiting Communities
      > of Practice series got me worried he might be feeling
      > underappreciated: "Occasionally, also, bona fide members become fed
      > up with a lack of recognition of their effort (for instance, a member
      > writing a series of useful papers and never mentioned in public as a
      > contributor) and leave the CoP..."
      >
      > I fully recognize your effort, Miguel, and want to publicly
      > acknowledge the power and substance of your work! Please don't leave!

    • Grace L. Judson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
        If, as Peter suggests, "We are who we are, only in relations to others," I
        have to ask - who am I when I am alone???

        Grace

        Personal & Executive Coach

        www.svahaconcepts.com <http://www.svahaconcepts.com/>