Re: [cp] Loitering with (good) intent

  • Ro
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2006
      Dearest Fred,

      > I think your love of complexity is beautifully demonstrated in the
      > paragraph above. I prefer simplicity

      I think it takes all kind of people (and consultants) to make the
      world go on.

      > I've always thought it was the job of any competent person, not
      > just consultant, or manager, or philosopher, to simplify the
      > complex, to make it manageable and understandable, to bring order
      > to chaos.

      I think you're right, but it's not always feasible. Just like in
      physics, some things *can* be simplified while being understood
      and "used", while some can *not* be made simple without distorting
      their nature.

      That's why in my practice I tend to assess the degree of complexity
      first, so that I get an idea on whether simplification is feasible
      or a distortion.

      When it comes to CoPs, I tend not to simplify because I strongly
      feel they are more a matter of human nature (volatile, variable,
      unpredictable) than of determinism (social, biological or
      technological).

      To say it with Eraclitus: "you can't bathe in the same river twice".

      Love
      Rosanna
    • Fred Nickols
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2006
        Matthew Moore writes:

        > CMC = Computer Mediated Communication. It also stands for the
        Country Music Channel but let's not go there.

        Thanks for the clarification re CMC.

        > I like both simplicity & complexity, can I get both, huh huh, can I?

        You can have all the complexity you can handle and you can have all
        the simplicity you can create.

        nickols@...