[com-prac] Re: Hi from Sherrill!

  • swea@evan1.nl.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 1999
      John,
      While I've been thinking about communities of practice since I became familiar with the concept and my colleagues have been creating self-reflective-practioner/action-research-based curricula since 1994, we've actually only been bringing the concepts together during the last five weeks. So, we are moving quickly from established concepts of best-practice learning groups in graduate degree programs into a plan to develop our own faculty and staff CoP's.

      We have made a distinction between user groups and CoP's that to us is key. We see user groups as sharing and furthering the group's knowledge about tools used in practice. We see CoP's as doing that as well as sharing and enhancing the community's knowledge about itself as a community to develop more effective ways of learning and sharing knowledge while valuing also the process of community-building for the opportunity that it affords to facilitate our collaboration in teaching, research, and service to our internal as well as external extended communities. User groups depend upon shared tools but CoP members use shared tools to depend upon each other.

      At National-Louis, with 16 campuses dispersed over seven states as well as Germany and Poland, bringing cross-geographical as well as cross-college CoP's together is a challenge that technology can solve in part. That's why community-building is a guiding principle of our technology planning. We are trying to design the technological network to support the social networks now in place and to expand the possiblities for stronger social learning connections among faculty and staff as well as students. Too often, technology planning ignores social network planning and institutional mission. We want to avoid that as much as possible.

      Sherrill

      Sherrill Weaver
      Wheaton Campus Library Coordinator
      Public Services and Online Librarian
      National-Louis University
      200 South Naperville Road
      Wheaton, IL 60187-5422

      voice: (630) 668-3838 x4531
      SWEA@...

      and

      Interim Coordinator of Library Technology
      National-Louis University
      2840 Sheridan Road
      Evanston, IL 60202

      SWEA@...
      voice:(847) 475-1100 x2850
      fax: (847) 256-5172

      Get personalized e-mail and a web address or your
      own free e-mail at http://www.networksolutions.com
    • Carol Anne Ogdin
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 1999
        Ads are the price you pay for not having to pay a price. However, I
        don't see the ads. Would you like to know how?

        Well, I recommend two different products: AtGuard and Intermute.
        Either one will delete most ads from Web pages. Check
        http://www.atguard.com or http://www.intermute.com

        --Carol Anne

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/com-prac/?start=58

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 1999
          I agree, Carol Anne. Your suggestion would get rid of advertisements for
          those of us who read this list via the Web.

          I was suggesting that someone collect $5 from anybody who's willing to chip
          in (I would be glad to chip in) in order to eliminate ads from the footer of
          the e-mail. It seems like sometimes they are less noticeable and obnoxious
          than others. The worst is when someone sends an RTF e-mail because then the
          adds blink and spit at you (not literally). I don't mind a footer such as
          this one as much:

          > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1702

          John

          --*