Educational Cops

  • itorre_1
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005
      Hi!

      I would like to know Cops linked to education, mainly supervision.

      Can you give me some links/books related to this?

      Thanks!

      Isabel (from Portugal)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005
        Isabel,

        I heartily recommend this book, which has a several chapters that would be
        relevant. I especially recommend chapter 5.

        Barab, Sasha A., Kling, Bob, Gray, James H. (eds.) Designing for Virtual
        Communities in the Sevice of Learning (Cambridge: Cambridge University
        Press, 2004). ISBN 0-521-5281-9

        http://books.cambridge.org/0521520819.htm has table of contents

        * John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
        * "With company you quicken your ascent." -- Rumi
        I would like to know Cops linked to education, mainly supervision.

        Can you give me some links/books related to this?

        Thanks!

        Isabel (from Portugal)

        *-- The email forum on communities of practice --*
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • itorre@sapo.pt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
          John,

          Thanks a lot.

          Isabel

          Citando "John D. Smith" <john.smith@...>:

          > Isabel,
          >
          > I heartily recommend this book, which has a several chapters that would be
          > relevant. I especially recommend chapter 5.
          >
          > Barab, Sasha A., Kling, Bob, Gray, James H. (eds.) Designing for Virtual
          > Communities in the Sevice of Learning (Cambridge: Cambridge University
          > Press, 2004). ISBN 0-521-5281-9
          >
          > http://books.cambridge.org/0521520819.htm has table of contents
          >
          > John
          > *
          > * John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
          > * "With company you quicken your ascent." -- Rumi

          O SAPO já está livre de vírus com a Panda Software, fique você também!
          Clique em: http://antivirus.sapo.pt
        • A. C. Eugene
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
            hi isabel.

            we have a number of cops within our community college; grants
            management, curriculum development, collegewide technology. if this is
            of interest to you, i'm more than happy to share what we've done and
            learned over the past five years.

            bounce back,
            amy eugene, director of km, cuyahoga community college
            amy.eugene@...
            1-216-987-4879
          • Warren Crosbie
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2005
              Hi Isabel.
              John Mitchell's books may be of interest - many are free online:
              - Mitchell, J. et al. (2002). The potential for Communities of
              Practice to underpin the National Training Framework.
              - Reframing the Future: Communities of Practice Program (2001-2002).
              SEE http://www.jma.com.au/profdev_pubs.htm
              SEE http://www.jma.com.au/cop_evaluator.htm

              Technical-college teachers in Australia have the 'TAFE VC e-
              Portfolio' a CoP web site: http://eport.tafevc.com.au
              TAFE VC uses Plone (an open source content managment system) as does
              Pronett http://www.pronett.nl a similar Web site for 'Professionals
              Networking Education and Teacher Training' in Europe. Ton Koenraad's
              publications about Pronett include:
              - Koenraad, T. (2004). Promoting information and learning technology
              in teacher education: a pilot implementation of the PRONETT portal.
              Paper presented at the The Third EDEN Research Workshop and
              International Conference Supporting the Learner in Distance
              Education and E-Learning, Oldenburg, Germany.
              http://www.koenraad.info/Pronett
              - Koenraad, T., Haan, K., Marcilla y Sevilla, A., van-Renselaar, E.,
              & Sodoyer, A. (2003). Learning to design WELL in a multilingual
              community of practice: a pilot implementation of the EU-Project
              PRONETT. Paper presented at the Conference of The European
              Association for Computer Assisted Language Learning.

              I hope this helps.
              Warren Crosbie
              wcrosbie AT yahoo.com.au
              http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~crosbie/wp/
              Melbourne

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
                Isabel, this page: <http://tappedin.org/tappedin/web/papers/>
                has links to many of the following papers:

                Fusco, J., Gelbach, H., & Schlager, M. S. (2000). Assessing the
                impact of a large-scale online teacher professional development
                community. Paper presented at the 11th International Conference of
                the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education,
                Charlottesville, VA.

                Schank, P., Fenton, J., Schlager, M. S., & Fusco, J. (1999). From
                MOO to MEOW: Domesticating technology for online communities. Paper
                presented at the Third International Conference on Computer Support
                for Collaborative Learning.

                Schlager, M. S., Fusco, J., & Schank, P. (1998). Cornerstones for an
                on-line community of education professionals. IEEE Technology and
                Society Magazine, 14(4), 15-21, 40.

                Schlager, M. S., Fusco, J., & Schank, P. (2002). Evolution of an on-
                line education community of practice. In K. A. Renninger & W. Shumar
                (Eds.), Building Virtual Communities: Learning and Change in
                Cyberspace (pp. 129-158). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

                cheers
                Warren, RMIT.