Re: [cp] Why making the decisions the right way is more important than making the right decisions

  • Matt Moore
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 30, 2005
      Rosanna,

      Thank you - very, very interesting article.

      Immediate comment: I think there are differences between "big" and "small"
      decisions.

      The work of Gary Klein focused on "small" decisions (e.g. those made by
      firemen, nurses, policemen in the heat of the moment) - where time is
      limited and the focus is on speed, decisiveness & expertise.

      What are described here are "big" decisions - with typically much longer
      timeframes for coming to agreement and the decision-making environment may
      be more complex.

      One issue is that senior decision-makers cut their teeth on small decisions
      - and then find themselves having to make big decisions as they go up the
      ladder - and do not change their decision-making toolset in the process.

      Absolutely agree that process can be as important as output for these
      things!!!

      Regards,

      Matt

      "Rosanna
      Tarsiero"
      <rosanna@gionneth To
      ics.com> <com-prac@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent by: cc
      com-prac@yahoogro
      ups.com Subject
      [cp] Why making the decisions the
      right way is more important than
      01/10/2005 06:02 making the right decisions
      AM

      Please respond to
      com-prac

      Folks,

      I read this article (below) today and immediately started thinking about
      intersections among CoPs, managerial style and organizational culture...

      "Many managers disdain "process" - organizations that put a premium on "the
      way things have always been done around here" over those that champion bold
      and rapid decision making. Ironically, as this author states, making the
      right decision is less important than focusing on how the decision is made
      -
      the process. In a compelling argument he makes the case that examining how
      decisions are made, rather than the decisions themselves, will lead to
      better decisions."

      http://www.iveybusinessjournal.com/view_article.asp?intArticle_ID=578

      Any thoughts?

      Rosanna Tarsiero

      "There's nothing so practical as a good theory" --- Kurt Lewin
      Blog on CoPs: http://gionnetto.blogspot.com/

      *-- The email forum on communities of practice --*
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • eduardo_j_rodriguez
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 14, 2005
        Matt,
        thanks for your answer. I was waiting to see if there were more
        comments, but it seems that everybody agrees with your assessment :-)

        Regards,
        Eduardo

        --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <matmoore@a...> wrote:

        > Eduardo,
        >
        > I am sure that Rory Chase (owner of the KNOWNetwork & the MAKE
        awards) can
        > fill you in on this if you contact him directly.
        >
        > But IMHO the MAKE awards are a popularity contest. They are useful
        in that
        > they raise the profile of KM but actually getting on the list is
        dependent
        > on whether a book or article has been published about your
        organisation or
        > a guru is associated with it.
        >
        > IBM had Larry Prusak & Dave Snowden which gave us some profile. I
        believe
        > IBM currently sits at the top. Does that mean that we are best in
        the world
        > at KM? Well, it's equivalent to saying that because Britney Spears
        tops the
        > pop charts, she is the world's best singer (N.B. I have great
        affection &
        > respect for both IBM & Britney).
        >
        > The MAKE awards may be less useful in that they encourage everyone
        to look
        > at these big organisations and emulate them. And KM very much needs
        to be a
        > home-grown affair. If you are a small retail business of 100 people
        then
        > IBM's example can offer some insights but it is important to
        recognise
        > their limits.
        >
        > If you want to win a MAKE award then you have two options:
        > 1. Publish a readable book about your firm's KM activities.
        > 2. Bribe the judges.
        >
        > I probably erring on the harsh side here and would welcome more
        supportive
        > views of MAKE. I wonder if they have particular value by giving
        recognition
        > to organisations in developing markets.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Matt