RE: [cp] MAKE award

  • Steve Glovinsky
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 20, 2005
      Hi - there was a frank and enlightening internal evaluation of the Bank's KM
      work that - all credit to them - they posted to the public website. It's
      the last link on the /ks page, or
      http://www.worldbank.org/oed/knowledge_evaluation/

      Steve Glovinsky

    • eduardo_j_rodriguez
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 14, 2005
        Matt,
        thanks for your answer. I was waiting to see if there were more
        comments, but it seems that everybody agrees with your assessment :-)

        Regards,
        Eduardo

        --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <matmoore@a...> wrote:

        > Eduardo,
        >
        > I am sure that Rory Chase (owner of the KNOWNetwork & the MAKE
        awards) can
        > fill you in on this if you contact him directly.
        >
        > But IMHO the MAKE awards are a popularity contest. They are useful
        in that
        > they raise the profile of KM but actually getting on the list is
        dependent
        > on whether a book or article has been published about your
        organisation or
        > a guru is associated with it.
        >
        > IBM had Larry Prusak & Dave Snowden which gave us some profile. I
        believe
        > IBM currently sits at the top. Does that mean that we are best in
        the world
        > at KM? Well, it's equivalent to saying that because Britney Spears
        tops the
        > pop charts, she is the world's best singer (N.B. I have great
        affection &
        > respect for both IBM & Britney).
        >
        > The MAKE awards may be less useful in that they encourage everyone
        to look
        > at these big organisations and emulate them. And KM very much needs
        to be a
        > home-grown affair. If you are a small retail business of 100 people
        then
        > IBM's example can offer some insights but it is important to
        recognise
        > their limits.
        >
        > If you want to win a MAKE award then you have two options:
        > 1. Publish a readable book about your firm's KM activities.
        > 2. Bribe the judges.
        >
        > I probably erring on the harsh side here and would welcome more
        supportive
        > views of MAKE. I wonder if they have particular value by giving
        recognition
        > to organisations in developing markets.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Matt