Re: [cp] Walther's Hyperpersonal Effect

  • John Parboosingh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Thanks, Nancy and Rosanna.
      This is very useful to me.

      John Parboosingh

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Nancy White
      To: com-prac@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:43 AM
      Subject: [cp] Walther's Hyperpersonal Effect

      Breifly explained here: http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol9/issue3/detenber.html

      "However, challenges have emerged to counter this technologically
      deterministic perspective. Walther and Burgoon (1992) questioned whether
      media shaped communication or were used by communicators to suit their own
      needs. Evidence now exists indicating CMC-related modes of interaction such
      as instant messaging and computer-based group support systems do cater to
      interpersonal gratification needs (Leung, 2001) and reduce relational
      distance among users (Chidambaram, 1996). In fact, Walther (1996) proposed
      the concept of hyperpersonal communication, hypothesizing that online
      relationships sometimes create more social and intimate experiences than
      offline ones. However, as Walther (1996) himself and other researchers have
      noted, the hyperpersonal communication model fails to take into account
      context variables such as the nature of tasks communicators are engaged in
      or the communicators' group composition (e.g., Hancock & Dunham, 2001). In
      this study, we aimed to achieve a better understanding of CMC by
      considering theoretically relevant context variables that have not been
      explored in prior research. In this way, we hope to test and extend the
      hyperpersonal communication model (Walther, 1996)."

      Refers to (but I did not find this online yet)
      Walther, J.B. 1996. "Computer-Mediated Communication: Impersonal,
      Interpersonal, and Hyperpersonal Interaction." Communication Research 23: 3-43.

      Walther used to be at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, but doesn't seem to
      be there any more .

      Nancy White - Full Circle Associates - http://www.fullcirc.com - 206-517-4754
      http://public.xdi.org/=nancy.white
      Blog: http://www.fullcirc.com/weblog/onfacblog.htm

      *-- The email forum on communities of practice --*
      Yahoo! Groups Links