Re:Seeding CoPs

  • Peter Childress
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      Dori raises a valid and interesting question here: What's the
      difference between a CoP and and SIG? Like almost everything else
      under the KM umbrella, the answer is sort of squishy, but here's my
      take on it (for whatever it's worth).

      A Community of Practice is composed of individuals who have an
      interest in a given activity, while a Special Interest Group is
      composed of folks who have an interest in a particular topic.

      For example, a CoP serving web techs supporting Intra/Inter/Extranet
      development & support could also have SIGs comprised of people
      focussed on Cold Fusion, DreamWeaver, or Apache.

      By my lights, a CoP is usually general in nature, while a SIG is more
      defined and focussed, but I always honor other opinions, so please
      let me know what you think.

      On a personal note, I want to thank Denham for pointing me to this
      group, and to thank all of you for sharing your insights and
      experiences; I expect to learn a lot here.

      -Pete
      chldress@...
      chilp@...