Re: [cp] It depends

  • jpalmertx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      In a message dated 3/3/2005 9:38:47 AM Mountain Standard Time,
      john.smith@... writes:

      a competent member of a community of practice
      knows when to say, "it depends."

      John, "it depends" is an ancient and time honored phrase in consulting
      communities of practice. Having said it a number of times myself as a consultant,
      I will, with fondness, hang onto the rest of your phrase

      "a competent member of a community of practice knows when to say..." ;-)

      aside from that reassuring validation of practice...

      the topic you point to, disambiguation, gets a big response when googled, so
      I am trying to disambiguate my way through some of that. ;-)

      There is, for example, word sense disambiguation technology which seems to
      help sort through the possible meanings of words.

      I would suggest that technology can help clarify information, make it more
      certain, but that meaning only occurs in the combined making of a gesture (e.g.
      some form of human communication) and the response to it.(an answer back, a
      nod, silence, etc.) (see the work of George Herbert Mead, Mind Self and
      Society).

      Isn't disambiguation, the search for meaning, best understood as ultimately
      the interaction of humans?

      Thanks for a clear posting about an ambiguous (and interesting) topic!