[Article]: Toward an Understanding of the Motivation of Open Source Software Developers

  • Rosanna Tarsiero
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      Toward an Understanding of the Motivation of Open Source Software Developers

      Abstract
      An Open Source Software (OSS) project is unlikely to be successful
      unless there is an accompanied community that provides the platform
      for developers and users to collaborate. Members of such communities
      are volunteers whose motivation to participate and contribute is of
      essential importance to the success of OSS projects. In
      this paper, we aim to create an understanding of what motivates people
      to participate in OSS communities. We theorize that learning is one of
      the motivational forces. Our theory is grounded in the learning theory
      of Legitimate Peripheral Participation, and is supported by analyzing
      the social structure of OSS communities and the co-evolution between
      OSS systems and communities. We also discuss practical implications of
      our theory for creating and maintaining sustainable OSS communitie as
      well as for software engineering research and education..

      You can find the FULL paper here:
      http://tinyurl.com/69dab

      Have fun
      Rosanna
      --
      "Don't be so open minded that your brain falls out."