HELP!!!

  • ying_xue1980
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13 5:56 AM
      Hello, everybody

      We are the students of technology university Berlin. Now we are
      writing our master thesis about communities-of-practice. And one of
      topics we want to discuss in our thesis is "current state of CoP
      within companies". We have tried to find some information from
      internet and newspaper. But it is really a hard work for us to get
      the whole and correct info. So we just ask your help for finding
      useful information. The information you have got or some interesting
      web sites that we can check out.

      Thank you very very much!!

      Best regards

      ying
    • Bruce Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13 6:37 AM
        Ying:

        I think you are going to have to do some leg work on this one. I feel
        your best approach is to interview business entities one-on-one. Find
        and approach as many companies as are willing to grant interviews ....
        Even if they DO NOT HAVE active CoPs.
        Many companies have CoPs and either do not know they have them or call
        them by some other name.
        1) Standardize your list of questions so you ask the same questions of
        everyone.
        2) Start with general questions about corporate
        communications/organization/culture then get specific about CoPs.
        3) DO NOT press questions the company is clearly NOT going to answer.
        4) Ask about size of group(s).
        5) Ask if the communities are of Practice or Participation.
        6) If the company has either of these are they restricted to specific
        groupings (i.e. secretaries in accounting) or general (i.e. ALL
        secretaries)
        7) Are CoPs company wide (i.e. all departments at all levels) or limited
        to executive levels.
        8) Ask about any positive or negative impacts.

        You know the questions you want to ask these are just suggestions.

        Good luck and can we read the paper when you are finished writing it?

        Bruce Jones

        We are the students of technology university Berlin. Now we are
        writing our master thesis about communities-of-practice. And one of
        topics we want to discuss in our thesis is "current state of CoP
        within companies". We have tried to find some information from
        internet and newspaper. But it is really a hard work for us to get
        the whole and correct info. So we just ask your help for finding
        useful information. The information you have got or some interesting
        web sites that we can check out.

        Thank you very very much!!

        Best regards

        ying

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bjoern Tons
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13 7:38 AM
          Hallo ying,

          usefull for Your "master thesis" should also be the Page:

          http://www.brint.com

          ... if You need some help or contacts in Hamburg give me a call.

          Brgds

          Bjoern

          -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13 12:19 PM
            Hello Ying,

            I have been doing some research recently to create a directory of CoPs in
            the humanitarian relief sector. I concur that it is very difficult to find
            out information about what exists where.

            The only people who really know about CoPs are the people who are in them.
            They probably don't call it a CoP. People who are being well served by
            their CoP probably don't have time or inclination to publicise it.

            There is no shortage of suppliers wanting to plug everything from
            consultancy services to web portals as CoPs. Just because an organization
            wants to run a CoP doesn't mean it is succeeding. I've also heard stories
            about effective CoPs needing to be kept under the organizational radar, so
            don't assume that an organization has no CoPs simply because it doesn't know
            about them.

            Good luck in your work. I suggest that you start out with a fairly broad
            definition of CoPs, and don't use that term in your initial contact. (We
            asked initially about networks and email discussion lists, then qualified
            whether what we found fit our criteria for listing in the directory of
            CoPs).

            All the best,

            Mark Hammersley