RE: [cp] Any ideas for polling for success stories in an organizational CoP?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Andy,

      that's a hell of a good set of questions for a qualitative CoP-evaluation survey. Mind if I use them :-)?

      From: Andy Swarbrick [mailto:andy@...]

      - what the CoP was actually
      meant to achieve. What problem has it solved?

      - How much would you pay out of your own pocket for a ready made CoP?

      - how much would you take
      out of your budget to pay for putting one in place.

      - What would you expect for your money?

      - How much time each week does the CoP save you when finding information?
      - What new things can you do now that you would not have been able to do
      without the CoP?
      - If you where headhunted would the CoP be factor in making you stay with
      the organisation.
      - Can you get help more easily now when you have a problem with work?

      Just a few random ideas, before I head off for the day.

      Best of luck

      Andy
    • Andy Swarbrick
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
        Miguel,

        No problem..

        Funny that it should be me to come up with good qualitative measures ;-)

        As long as they are properly quoted as comming from my own series of
        knowledge management evaulation criteria.
        Swarbrick Qualitative User Investment Return Measures - for CoPs Value

        S.Q.U.I.R.M for CoPs Value for short ;-)

        yes, it did take me a while to come up with the silly acronym.

        No not serious.

        And yes, I really should get back to work.

        Best

        Andy

        @ andy@...
        http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

        ------- End of Original Message -------
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
          :-D.

          Someone wanted fun in CoPs :-).

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
            Just for fun Go on throw it into the next conversation you have about KM
            metrics.

            See if the other person tries to bluff that they have heard of SQUIRM
            methodologies.

            Interesting fun small world network experiement would be to see how long it
            would take untill someone mentions the SQUIRM or User Investment Return
            Metric in a conversation I have.

            You know you'll all be using it one day...

            Not sure if that would be fun, or just sillyness :-D

            Lots of ideas about a community experiment to see how widely a quickly
            invented term could spread.

            Warmest Regards

            Andy

            http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

            > As long as they are properly quoted as comming from my own series of
            > knowledge management evaulation criteria.
            > Swarbrick Qualitative User Investment Return Measures - for CoPs Value
            >
            > S.Q.U.I.R.M for CoPs Value for short ;-)

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            ------- End of Original Message -------
          • Andy Swarbrick
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
              Just found this initersting article ;0)

              http://www.robotegg.com/data/CommEVAL21-60.html

              > Just for fun Go on throw it into the next conversation you have
              > about KM metrics.
              >
              > See if the other person tries to bluff that they have heard of
              > SQUIRM methodologies.
              >
              > Interesting fun small world network experiement would be to see how
              > long it would take untill someone mentions the SQUIRM or User
              > Investment Return Metric in a conversation I have.
              >
              > You know you'll all be using it one day...
              >
              > Not sure if that would be fun, or just sillyness :-D
              >
              > Lots of ideas about a community experiment to see how widely a
              > quickly invented term could spread.
              >
              > Warmest Regards
              >
              > Andy
              >
              > http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

              ------- End of Original Message -------
            • stefanlafloer
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
                Mark,
                I have done some extensive research on personal and project team
                knowledge management tools. See my comments below

                wish list:
                - suite of consultation, feedback and discussion tools, survey
                builders, polling software, document management, discussion forums
                ->Some good tools that include feedback, discussion, survey, polling,
                doc mgmt include
                - http://www.tikiwiki.org, very complete suite of collaborative
                tools, very active community, easy to install and host on your own
                server (i tested it).
                - http://www.phproject.org, good collection of collaborative tools,
                oriented towards project teams, allows tracking of ours, project
                charts
                - http://www.zope.org, application server platform, products
                available for feedback, discussion, survey, etc.., excellent platform
                to host, easy to install, i can provide some examples on request

                - delivered as a suite of tools where data and personal information
                about consultees can be integrated when required [to save time and
                for comparison purposes]
                ->setup the data and personal info about consultees as content

                - simple set up and standardised approach to interfaces to encourage
                usebility - customisable templates - open source - access to training
                resources and user community to encourage implementation - access to
                affordable/low cost development support - possible sources of such a
                suite of tools
                ->see the list of tools below

                - the appropriateness of the wish list [what's in the toolbox?]
                -> In my perception no current tools really fosters personal and/or
                group knowledge management to its fullest potential. I have
                established a prototype that I can show on request.

                - the likely success of the plan to host them on a local server to
                encourage joined up-ness
                -> The success will focus on the buy-in of the users. Do some upfront
                surveying of your user groups and identify their needs for sharing,
                their business objectives why they want such tools and what would
                make those tools successfull for them. Otherwise you may construct a
                great technology solution that nobody uses.

                Please let me know if I can be of any assistance,
                Respectfully,
                Stefan Lafloer
                CKO, InsightKnowledge Inc.
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
                  You must be launching a consultancy, Andy. :-)

                  Are all your partners (e.g., Bob Spoof) members of com-prac?

                  * John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
                  * Many of our institutions are designed for knowing rather than learning
                  * -- Learning for a small planet
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
                    John,

                    Just trying to put a little fun into CoP...
                    I find it helps with creativity :-)

                    Have you not spoken with Bob Spoof, he has some wonderful ideas on creativity
                    in community contexts ;-D.

                    By the end of going through the SQUIRM-CP Page, although it was a spoof, I
                    actually began to think it sounded like a good idea.

                    What is we could have Open Source Knowledge Management : - B
                    based on a series of simple approaches to common problems, with case studies
                    of from those that had used it.

                    To get into the handbook the approach would have to be simple to use and
                    understand and help solve a real problem. Like the spoofed SQUIRM method it
                    would have to be something that could be written down into one or two pages.

                    It would not be a whole knowledge management or intellectual framework just a
                    way of creating a questionnaire or some kind of artefact. Also, another
                    entrance criteria might me it has to have a silly acronym.

                    For my part I would like to put in :
                    · A simplified process/ checklist for designing social network mapping
                    questions I call making the question CAPD (pronounced capped to make it
                    catchy ;-D);
                    · Start off the SQUIRM questions properly.

                    If anyone else has their own little methods that they would be willing to add
                    to an Open Source knowledge management handbook. Please feel free to send me
                    an email at andy@....

                    Also, if anyone has any idea how to set this up as an official OpenSource or
                    publicly usable and quotable resource please also drop me a line.

                    Best

                    Andy
                    @: andy@...
                    Web: http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

                    ------- End of Original Message -------
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
                      Andy,

                      The files area of COM-PRAC has plenty of space for "how-to" offerings. I
                      think the key is to be sure such pages are used and then criticized and then
                      updated.

                      items at the top: Yahoo! Sponsored Links :-(

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12, 2004
                        Hi All,

                        Came accross something called "Global Community of Practice in Ecosystem
                        Approaches to Human Health (COPEH) - Latin America and Caribbean communities".
                        Link : http://network.idrc.ca/en/ev-57927-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

                        I wondered if anyone had heard anything about it on this forum.

                        I ask because it has an interesting reference to some suggested reading on
                        how to evaluate COPs that looked familiar.

                        Kind Regards

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12, 2004
                          One strategy to be really known for being "on the cutting edge" would be to
                          produce a stream of acronyms -- with the deep thought that underlies, of
                          course.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                            Hello all,
                            I work for the team that has put this Request for Applications out, please
                            feel free to direct any inquiries to me directly or to the list if you wish.

                            I have been a member of com-prac for a while now, mostly absorbing ideas
                            about KM, knowledge sharing and COPs - these all have become strong
                            interests in our work here at the International Development Research
                            Centre, Canada in the past few years (www.idrc.ca) in the context of the
                            various development research issues we work with (such as natural resource
                            management, social and economic equity and ICTs). I would like to thank
                            Bellanet, and Lucie Lamoureux' help in particular with this work, I find
                            both of the lists she recommended to me, com-prac and KM4Dev, very helpful.
                            I have linked on our website some of the reference documents/websites
                            discussed on these lists as suggested useful links for those partners who
                            are considering applying for the "Global Community of Practice in Ecosystem
                            Approaches to Human Health (COPEH) - Latin America and Caribbean
                            communities". I'd appreciate more suggestions for general reference
                            material, I also plan to search the com-prac archives.

                            I am glad to see that we made full circle here and would appreciate any
                            comments you have on this latest Request of Applications of the Ecosystem
                            Approaches to Human Health Program Initiative of the International
                            Development Research
                            Centre.http://network.idrc.ca/en/ev-57927-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html Please also
                            advertise this to your partners, the more applications we get the better.
                            Very quickly, the objective of the RFA is to support this CoP that is
                            working on advancing "the ecosystem approaches to human health research
                            framework and to link research to policy and action. This collaboration
                            will strengthen cooperation between scientists in Canada and the LAC
                            region, and assist with the development of research networks to stimulate
                            critical thinking and capacity building within research institutions
                            related to ecosystem approaches to human health."

                            Best to you all and thanks for the continued inspiration,

                            Sophie

                            Zsofia Orosz
                            Research Officer
                            Ecosystem Approaches to Human Health/People, Land and Water
                            International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
                            PO Box 8500, Ottawa, Ontario, K1G 3H9, Canada
                            t: (1-613) 236-6163 ext. 2533
                            f: (1-613) 567-7748
                            zorosz@...