RE: [cp] Any ideas for polling for success stories in an organizational CoP?

  • chris macrae
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2004
      I stick to belief that the stories of the first CoP than an organisation
      introduces are the really interesting ones. Within the different
      explanations of why that you would find from such a survey, the ones
      that interest me most are because we want the CoP to truly help
      transform some aspect of the whole organisational system. Of course
      those CoPs that were planted for such systemic reasons are ones you can
      make very accountable for whether they succeeded or not but not by
      standard RoI measures of a separatist kind.

      Chris Macrae, wcbn007@...
      MAP! http://www.valuetrue.com/home/glossary.cfm?letter=V

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi Andy,

        that's a hell of a good set of questions for a qualitative CoP-evaluation survey. Mind if I use them :-)?

        From: Andy Swarbrick [mailto:andy@...]

        - what the CoP was actually
        meant to achieve. What problem has it solved?

        - How much would you pay out of your own pocket for a ready made CoP?

        - how much would you take
        out of your budget to pay for putting one in place.

        - What would you expect for your money?

        - How much time each week does the CoP save you when finding information?
        - What new things can you do now that you would not have been able to do
        without the CoP?
        - If you where headhunted would the CoP be factor in making you stay with
        the organisation.
        - Can you get help more easily now when you have a problem with work?

        Just a few random ideas, before I head off for the day.

        Best of luck

        Andy
      • Andy Swarbrick
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
          Miguel,

          No problem..

          Funny that it should be me to come up with good qualitative measures ;-)

          As long as they are properly quoted as comming from my own series of
          knowledge management evaulation criteria.
          Swarbrick Qualitative User Investment Return Measures - for CoPs Value

          S.Q.U.I.R.M for CoPs Value for short ;-)

          yes, it did take me a while to come up with the silly acronym.

          No not serious.

          And yes, I really should get back to work.

          Best

          Andy

          @ andy@...
          http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

          ------- End of Original Message -------
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
            :-D.

            Someone wanted fun in CoPs :-).

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2004
              Just for fun Go on throw it into the next conversation you have about KM
              metrics.

              See if the other person tries to bluff that they have heard of SQUIRM
              methodologies.

              Interesting fun small world network experiement would be to see how long it
              would take untill someone mentions the SQUIRM or User Investment Return
              Metric in a conversation I have.

              You know you'll all be using it one day...

              Not sure if that would be fun, or just sillyness :-D

              Lots of ideas about a community experiment to see how widely a quickly
              invented term could spread.

              Warmest Regards

              Andy

              http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

              > As long as they are properly quoted as comming from my own series of
              > knowledge management evaulation criteria.
              > Swarbrick Qualitative User Investment Return Measures - for CoPs Value
              >
              > S.Q.U.I.R.M for CoPs Value for short ;-)

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              ------- End of Original Message -------
            • Andy Swarbrick
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
                Just found this initersting article ;0)

                http://www.robotegg.com/data/CommEVAL21-60.html

                > Just for fun Go on throw it into the next conversation you have
                > about KM metrics.
                >
                > See if the other person tries to bluff that they have heard of
                > SQUIRM methodologies.
                >
                > Interesting fun small world network experiement would be to see how
                > long it would take untill someone mentions the SQUIRM or User
                > Investment Return Metric in a conversation I have.
                >
                > You know you'll all be using it one day...
                >
                > Not sure if that would be fun, or just sillyness :-D
                >
                > Lots of ideas about a community experiment to see how widely a
                > quickly invented term could spread.
                >
                > Warmest Regards
                >
                > Andy
                >
                > http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

                ------- End of Original Message -------
              • stefanlafloer
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Mark,
                  I have done some extensive research on personal and project team
                  knowledge management tools. See my comments below

                  wish list:
                  - suite of consultation, feedback and discussion tools, survey
                  builders, polling software, document management, discussion forums
                  ->Some good tools that include feedback, discussion, survey, polling,
                  doc mgmt include
                  - http://www.tikiwiki.org, very complete suite of collaborative
                  tools, very active community, easy to install and host on your own
                  server (i tested it).
                  - http://www.phproject.org, good collection of collaborative tools,
                  oriented towards project teams, allows tracking of ours, project
                  charts
                  - http://www.zope.org, application server platform, products
                  available for feedback, discussion, survey, etc.., excellent platform
                  to host, easy to install, i can provide some examples on request

                  - delivered as a suite of tools where data and personal information
                  about consultees can be integrated when required [to save time and
                  for comparison purposes]
                  ->setup the data and personal info about consultees as content

                  - simple set up and standardised approach to interfaces to encourage
                  usebility - customisable templates - open source - access to training
                  resources and user community to encourage implementation - access to
                  affordable/low cost development support - possible sources of such a
                  suite of tools
                  ->see the list of tools below

                  - the appropriateness of the wish list [what's in the toolbox?]
                  -> In my perception no current tools really fosters personal and/or
                  group knowledge management to its fullest potential. I have
                  established a prototype that I can show on request.

                  - the likely success of the plan to host them on a local server to
                  encourage joined up-ness
                  -> The success will focus on the buy-in of the users. Do some upfront
                  surveying of your user groups and identify their needs for sharing,
                  their business objectives why they want such tools and what would
                  make those tools successfull for them. Otherwise you may construct a
                  great technology solution that nobody uses.

                  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance,
                  Respectfully,
                  Stefan Lafloer
                  CKO, InsightKnowledge Inc.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2004
                    You must be launching a consultancy, Andy. :-)

                    Are all your partners (e.g., Bob Spoof) members of com-prac?

                    * John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
                    * Many of our institutions are designed for knowing rather than learning
                    * -- Learning for a small planet
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
                      John,

                      Just trying to put a little fun into CoP...
                      I find it helps with creativity :-)

                      Have you not spoken with Bob Spoof, he has some wonderful ideas on creativity
                      in community contexts ;-D.

                      By the end of going through the SQUIRM-CP Page, although it was a spoof, I
                      actually began to think it sounded like a good idea.

                      What is we could have Open Source Knowledge Management : - B
                      based on a series of simple approaches to common problems, with case studies
                      of from those that had used it.

                      To get into the handbook the approach would have to be simple to use and
                      understand and help solve a real problem. Like the spoofed SQUIRM method it
                      would have to be something that could be written down into one or two pages.

                      It would not be a whole knowledge management or intellectual framework just a
                      way of creating a questionnaire or some kind of artefact. Also, another
                      entrance criteria might me it has to have a silly acronym.

                      For my part I would like to put in :
                      · A simplified process/ checklist for designing social network mapping
                      questions I call making the question CAPD (pronounced capped to make it
                      catchy ;-D);
                      · Start off the SQUIRM questions properly.

                      If anyone else has their own little methods that they would be willing to add
                      to an Open Source knowledge management handbook. Please feel free to send me
                      an email at andy@....

                      Also, if anyone has any idea how to set this up as an official OpenSource or
                      publicly usable and quotable resource please also drop me a line.

                      Best

                      Andy
                      @: andy@...
                      Web: http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk

                      ------- End of Original Message -------
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 4, 2004
                        Andy,

                        The files area of COM-PRAC has plenty of space for "how-to" offerings. I
                        think the key is to be sure such pages are used and then criticized and then
                        updated.

                        items at the top: Yahoo! Sponsored Links :-(

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12, 2004
                          Hi All,

                          Came accross something called "Global Community of Practice in Ecosystem
                          Approaches to Human Health (COPEH) - Latin America and Caribbean communities".
                          Link : http://network.idrc.ca/en/ev-57927-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

                          I wondered if anyone had heard anything about it on this forum.

                          I ask because it has an interesting reference to some suggested reading on
                          how to evaluate COPs that looked familiar.

                          Kind Regards

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 12, 2004
                            One strategy to be really known for being "on the cutting edge" would be to
                            produce a stream of acronyms -- with the deep thought that underlies, of
                            course.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13, 2004
                              Hello all,
                              I work for the team that has put this Request for Applications out, please
                              feel free to direct any inquiries to me directly or to the list if you wish.

                              I have been a member of com-prac for a while now, mostly absorbing ideas
                              about KM, knowledge sharing and COPs - these all have become strong
                              interests in our work here at the International Development Research
                              Centre, Canada in the past few years (www.idrc.ca) in the context of the
                              various development research issues we work with (such as natural resource
                              management, social and economic equity and ICTs). I would like to thank
                              Bellanet, and Lucie Lamoureux' help in particular with this work, I find
                              both of the lists she recommended to me, com-prac and KM4Dev, very helpful.
                              I have linked on our website some of the reference documents/websites
                              discussed on these lists as suggested useful links for those partners who
                              are considering applying for the "Global Community of Practice in Ecosystem
                              Approaches to Human Health (COPEH) - Latin America and Caribbean
                              communities". I'd appreciate more suggestions for general reference
                              material, I also plan to search the com-prac archives.

                              I am glad to see that we made full circle here and would appreciate any
                              comments you have on this latest Request of Applications of the Ecosystem
                              Approaches to Human Health Program Initiative of the International
                              Development Research
                              Centre.http://network.idrc.ca/en/ev-57927-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html Please also
                              advertise this to your partners, the more applications we get the better.
                              Very quickly, the objective of the RFA is to support this CoP that is
                              working on advancing "the ecosystem approaches to human health research
                              framework and to link research to policy and action. This collaboration
                              will strengthen cooperation between scientists in Canada and the LAC
                              region, and assist with the development of research networks to stimulate
                              critical thinking and capacity building within research institutions
                              related to ecosystem approaches to human health."

                              Best to you all and thanks for the continued inspiration,

                              Sophie

                              Zsofia Orosz
                              Research Officer
                              Ecosystem Approaches to Human Health/People, Land and Water
                              International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
                              PO Box 8500, Ottawa, Ontario, K1G 3H9, Canada
                              t: (1-613) 236-6163 ext. 2533
                              f: (1-613) 567-7748
                              zorosz@...