Re: [cp] KM at Universities?

  • alicemacgillivray
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
      Thank you Ivan and Andrew.

      I wanted to provide a little more context that relates to old style
      cultures and to scholarly publishing. Our university is new and
      carved out a distinctive niche for itself that I believe invites
      scrutiny around whether we walk the talk of our academic programs.
      In our particular (KM) program, a "typical" student is in their 40s,
      might have another graduate degree, and has many years of workplace
      experience. We sometimes provide opportunities for cohorts to tackle
      current, real-life issues (for which the university might be the
      client). So it is not surprising that we are regularly challenged to
      be something more than, or different than, the stereotypes of
      traditional universities or old-style corporations.

      Individuals in our programs have also challenged the notion that
      traditional scholarly publishing = knowledge management. I am not
      going to search for it this morning, but I have read a published
      paper or discussion that explores this issue. And we have probably
      all heard the depressing statistics about how many times a thesis or
      dissertation is usually read.

      Interestingly, one of our major national funding organizations is in
      the midst of a transformation that speaks directly to the limitations
      of scholarly publishing in a broader KM context. You can see a range
      of documentation on their website http://www.sshrc.ca/ including a
      document titled "From Granting Council to Knowledge Council..."

      Thank you again, and I will watch for further posts. On another
      note, Ivan - do you have a research-oriented CoP at your university?

      Alice.

      --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Cox <a.m.cox@l...> wrote:
      > Ivan...At the same time looking at the academic side you could see
      the whole system of scholarly publishing,>

      > Quoting Ivan Webb <Ivan.Webb@u...>:
      The University I know best seems to be in transition from an
      institution made up of high independent and authoritative individuals
      (academics) to a totally (old style) corporate enterprise.
    • Debra Sloat
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
        Hello Alice

        I just in the wrap up stages of my thesis on What factors sustained
        a community of practice at Kwantlen University College"

        I started a group of administrative support staff about 10 years
        ago, to share practices and learn from each other, I did not know
        about communities of practice until last year while trying to decide
        what to do my thesis on for my Masters Degree. At that time I was
        sharing what a success this group of administrative support was, and
        was informed by faculty that it was a community of practice. I had
        initiated a couple of other groups as well one for support
        supervisors and one for Faculty Coordinators and Chairs. All of
        these groups are meeting at present, but I am no longer working
        there and the one that my research is based on is the admin support
        stuff group.

        Coordinating this group, learning, sharing and growing with this
        group has been one of the biggest rewards in my career. I have seen
        departments that never even spoke to each other before now have
        great working relationships. Individuals as well as the whole org
        has grown from this experience. I am also aware of another school
        in British Columbia developing an admin CoP. As well in speaking
        with my past Vice PRes she has created one for managers.

        I consider myself a junior researcher and will have my thesis
        completed by the end of July if you would like to read. I now know
        that I should have asked alot more questions but I didn't so here I
        sit wanting to know more.....maybe one day I will research some more
        on the topic, but this writing stuff it is brutal!!! lol
        Debra

        --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "alicemacgillivray"
        <alice.macgillivray@r...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know of universities that are taking knowledge
        > management seriously on their corporate sides?
        >
        > I am not sure how to define "seriously", but this might include
        >
        > - redefining themselves as knowledge organizations
        > - having a knowledge management strategy and/or
        > - actively using, and learning from, techniques (such as CoPs) to
        > create, acquire, share and use knowledge (especially across
        > administrative boundaries).
        >
        > If so, I would love to learn more and have a contact name.
        >
        > Thanks!
      • Ivan Webb
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
          Alice asked...."On another note, Ivan - do you have a research-oriented CoP
          at your university?"

          We are about to launch such a entity in our Faculty with several possible
          aims in mind:
          1. To reduce the isolation experienced by many of the widely distributed,
          and highly mobile members of the Faculty's post grad student body
          2. To improve the links between research staff and research students
          3. To improve the access of all concerned to resources (literature,
          strategies, contacts...)
          4. To support the Faculty's priority of becoming a learning community
          5. To gain and share insights into what research is being undertaken in the
          Faculty
          6. To gain and share first hand insights into communities of practice
          7. To provide a means of engagement with other stakeholders

          Will keep you informed. Any suggestions, wise advice... gratefully received.

          Ivan Webb
        • bstuckey@intraceptives.com.au
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
            Hey Ivan,

            It would be fantastic if you could keep us posted on the progress of this
            community over time. This growing new communities is really the nut everyone
            is trying to crack :-)

            Bron

          • clairebrooks@ozemail.com.au
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
              Ivan said:
              > We are about to launch such a entity in our Faculty with several possible
              > aims in mind:
              > 1. To reduce the isolation experienced by many of the widely distributed,
              > and highly mobile members of the Faculty's post grad student body
              > 2. To improve the links between research staff and research students
              > 3. To improve the access of all concerned to resources (literature,
              > strategies, contacts...)
              > 4. To support the Faculty's priority of becoming a learning community
              > 5. To gain and share insights into what research is being undertaken in the
              > Faculty
              > 6. To gain and share first hand insights into communities of practice
              > 7. To provide a means of engagement with other stakeholders
              Ivan, you might like to keep in touch with our 9 University of Melbourne)new initiative for doctoral students. I started off thinking it might be/come a CoP but I think I prefer the term peer support network as I'm not entirely convinced now about the *practice* of *being a doctoral student* .An important aspect of the idea is to get people involved in existing CoP's in their discipline areas. One of the intial aims of the project was exactly as you have defined it- about overcoming the isolation of beginning researchers undertaking their Phd's- however it is aimed across the whole university and is supported by quite a lot of *information* a *course* providing information and resources, aimed at improving the confirmation rate. Also hope to build networks across disciplines and peer support. Some nice things have happened eg embyronic peer support network for students whose first language is not english,.... other aspects require more work, as anticipated.
              As always we are finding that it takes a lot of interpersonal support to be effective, even though it is still early days. We'll also be watching for signs that such a network/CoP can effect change on the larger organisation. Happy to be contacted off list, too about some of the other CoP's that are around at Melb Uni.

            • jheuristic
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
                Alice,

                You may wish to reach out to the The Institute for the Study of
                Knowledge Management in Education http://www.iskme.org/.

                Contact info is at the Website.

                > If so, I would love to learn more and have a contact name.
                >
                > Thanks!

                -jtm

                John Maloney

                http://www.kmcluster.com/

                Create the Future! Join the KM Cluster®

                Innovation and Adaptability (DEN):
                http://www.kmcluster.com/den/DEN_Summer_2004.htm
                Leadership (NYC): http://www.kmcluster.com/nyc/NYC_Summer_2004.htm
                Innovation Networks (LAX):
                http://www.kmcluster.com/lax/LAX_Summer_2004.htm
                Enterprise Social Tools (LON):
                http://www.kmcluster.com/lon/LON_Summer_2004.htm

                Collaboration: http://www.kmcluster.com/Conversation.htm
              • Debra Sloat
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Ivan, which school are you at? Kwantlen is very new at research and
                  they might be interested in what you are proposing? I will speak
                  with the director of research next week hopefully.

                  Debra Sloat
                  Mountain View Leadership Group
                  780 865 7584 Office/Residence
                  780-883-9228 Cell